Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking my laptop to Oz

Taking my laptop to Oz

Old Oct 18th 2004, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

MissMarly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking my laptop to Oz

Thanks to all who replied to my previous thread about taking my laptop to oz.

I have now decided on a laptop (Sony TRMP5) as it's nice and light for me to lug about.

As far as connection goes, I'm hoping to be able to plug into internet cafes, can anyone tell me if this is common practice and what the costs involved are?

Also any advice on ISPs in Australia or anyone who uses net to roam or Aol global roaming? I'm trying to figure out which is the cheapest way for me to connect while I'm in Australia.

If I use for example Telstra BigPond, I can prepay a package but do I then need to pay for each dial up I make and what would the internet cafes price be to hook up via them?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

I'm coming out in 5 weeks!! Currently living up in North Scotland and the temperature has seriously plummeted in the last few days so can't wait to get out of these dark, cold depressing days!

Thanks
Maz
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:08 am
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking my laptop to Oz

Go to www.whirpool.net.au to find out about all the ISP's on offer.

Wireless connectivity is more common than plugging anything in.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:54 am
Just Joined

expad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cutgrass
Go to www.whirpool.net.au to find out about all the ISP's on offer.

Wireless connectivity is more common than plugging anything in.
Your link above whirlpool didn't take me anywhere, any more advice?
Old Oct 19th 2004, 8:04 am
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future

If you have AOL as your ISP you can log on in any Internet cafe in the 'whole, wide, world'... just visit www.AOL.co.uk or www.AOL.com and you can then log on from there and check and send email.

You can connect your laptop in some Internet cafes, but not all are willing to let you do this! It's a lot, lot easier to just use their PC's and log onto AOL. If you do want to connect you will need, I think, an ethernet connection so you can plug into the Internet cafes network.

When I was in Oz a couple of years ago I took my laptop and, as well as using Internet cafes, got a short-term contract with Telstra so I could connect through the phone line where I was staying.

I have to say, from experience, it is a lot easier to just use Internet cafes... I have all over the world with AOL and never had a major problem.

Cheers.

Last edited by PWBCSA; Oct 19th 2004 at 8:05 am. Reason: typo!
Old Oct 19th 2004, 10:18 am
Just Joined

MissMarly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
If you have AOL as your ISP you can log on in any Internet cafe in the 'whole, wide, world'... just visit www.AOL.co.uk or www.AOL.com and you can then log on from there and check and send email.

You can connect your laptop in some Internet cafes, but not all are willing to let you do this! It's a lot, lot easier to just use their PC's and log onto AOL. If you do want to connect you will need, I think, an ethernet connection so you can plug into the Internet cafes network.

When I was in Oz a couple of years ago I took my laptop and, as well as using Internet cafes, got a short-term contract with Telstra so I could connect through the phone line where I was staying.

I have to say, from experience, it is a lot easier to just use Internet cafes... I have all over the world with AOL and never had a major problem.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice. To be honest after I posted last night I was lying in bed thinking about the possible problems ie lugging a laptop over and not actually getting connected anywhere, it being damaged or stolen and I thinK I may have come to the same conclusion. Its probably not worth the hassle or expense.

Thanks for all the advice though, its helped me make the final decision.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by expad
Your link above whirlpool didn't take me anywhere, any more advice?
The link should be http://whirlpool.net.au/ (without the www)

It's a good place to check up on Broadband options.

For AOL users that are moving here permanently, AOL UK did not use to be able to transfer a persons user name to the Australian AOL. (You needed to keep the UK account active).
I don't know if it is still the same, but something to think about for the future.