Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying a Shih-tzu!

Flying a Shih-tzu!

Old May 9th 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future
Default Flying a Shih-tzu!

Hi, i read on here somewhere that short nosed dogs don't take to the flight very easy. I have a Shih-tzu, she will be 11 when we go and the people at Bristol Vale Vets have given me a quote and said that she would probably be flying out with Quantas via Singapore then onto Perth. I was wondering if anyone else has a similar breed and what airlines they flew with and if they were fine.
Old May 9th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying a Shih-tzu!

Originally Posted by MOONLIGHT
Hi, i read on here somewhere that short nosed dogs don't take to the flight very easy. I have a Shih-tzu, she will be 11 when we go and the people at Bristol Vale Vets have given me a quote and said that she would probably be flying out with Quantas via Singapore then onto Perth. I was wondering if anyone else has a similar breed and what airlines they flew with and if they were fine.

We flew our Lhasa Apso out, he went with BA and had no problems whatsever.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

I was like yourself and panicked when i read the same thing, but i was reassured by a vet that they are referring to dogs like Pekingeses. We are using Airpets who use Quantas which is less stressful for the dogs as they do not change planes at Singapore, just refuel. If they use BA they need to change planes which adds time to the journey.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Malcs66
I was like yourself and panicked when i read the same thing, but i was reassured by a vet that they are referring to dogs like Pekingeses. We are using Airpets who use Quantas which is less stressful for the dogs as they do not change planes at Singapore, just refuel. If they use BA they need to change planes which adds time to the journey.
Thankyou for your reply, what breed of dog do you have because Shih-tzu's are like Pekingeses.
Old May 10th 2007, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MOONLIGHT

Hi there

I've an 8 years old King Charles Spaniel. My dog leaves in 39 days - same flights as you have been recommended to Perth (albeit from Glasgow).

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm rather worried about him - sometimes he goes into little fits (as if he has fur caught in his throat) - but I'm sure he will be okay!!!

Laura
Old May 10th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm rather worried about him - sometimes he goes into little fits (as if he has fur caught in his throat) - but I'm sure he will be okay!!!

I know it doesn't help as you have probably read it all before. But believe me they come through the flight as if nothing happened, a little dehydrated but that is all.

We panicked and couldn't wait to phone the quarantine centre, but he was fine. He flew a week before us and we left it a week before we visited him. I would recommend doing this, he went beserk when he saw us and we could see that he was in great hands and that really put our minds at rest.

John
Old May 10th 2007, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jond

I know it doesn't help as you have probably read it all before. But believe me they come through the flight as if nothing happened, a little dehydrated but that is all.

We panicked and couldn't wait to phone the quarantine centre, but he was fine. He flew a week before us and we left it a week before we visited him. I would recommend doing this, he went beserk when he saw us and we could see that he was in great hands and that really put our minds at rest.

John
Laura....Please do let us know how your dog get's on, i'm sure he'll be fine.

John...I'm going to send her out a couple of weeks before us, i think, then i won't have to wait so long when i arrive to collect her.