Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hairdressing question again - sorry

Hairdressing question again - sorry

Old May 9th 2007, 8:43 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hairdressing question again - sorry

Hi to all
I am considering going back into hairdressing after a few (to many) years break - i wouldnt want to go back into a salon but quite like the idea of being mobile.
To be able to apply for a skilled visa i know i have to be doing at least 20 hours per week for at least a minimum of 2 years before i can apply.
My question is - apart from your appointments book and maybe testimonials from clients how do you prove you are doing the required amount of time (doh and tax contributions obviously), also do they come and check you out in any way so to speak???
If this has already been asked i apologise but any information or a shove in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.
Sam
Old May 9th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hairdressing question again - sorry

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi to all
I am considering going back into hairdressing after a few (to many) years break - i wouldnt want to go back into a salon but quite like the idea of being mobile.
To be able to apply for a skilled visa i know i have to be doing at least 20 hours per week for at least a minimum of 2 years before i can apply.
My question is - apart from your appointments book and maybe testimonials from clients how do you prove you are doing the required amount of time (doh and tax contributions obviously), also do they come and check you out in any way so to speak???
If this has already been asked i apologise but any information or a shove in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.
Sam
from what i understand it will be necessary to provide testimonials from clients, bills from suppliers and any tax forms or official docs. basically anything to prove you were running a bona fide business for the dates you said. I think I'm right coz this was a route we were going to go down originally so details may have changed now so if they have , soz if I've wasted your time. babs.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:59 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Babs
No thats great thanks for replying - i thought it would be as you say to be honest - i suppose its logical - never thought about reciepts from suppliers - better keep them as well.
So are you still going over as a hairdresser then or has the low pay put you off this route - its the same here i reckon unless you work for yourself. Where are you hoping to live - we would love to be around Brisbane area.
Thanks again - much appreciated
Sam
Old May 9th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Hairdressing question again - sorry

evening.
i am applying as a hairdresser and only went mobile last year so not got an accountant for books etc. you could do a couple of days in a salon to get you back into it whilst building up your own clientele plus = a slightly more definite wage (ish) to pay towards the bills.
keep any advertising you do too, in the paper,local business magazines,phonebook entries.
make pleasant conversation with the suppliers too as with doing this one of the managers at my wholesalers has very kindly written a statement confirming what products i buy and how often etc as i go in nearly every week.
as for the wages i think wherever you go and be a hairdresser you going to get paid cack money thats why ya gotta love the job (and the tips haha) or then get a buisness degree and open your own salon.could go into business together

hope this helps a tiny bit.good luck
kath
go to the lancs meet in bolton on the 2nd june and have a chat to others that are making the brave decision.
Old May 10th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

hi we got our visas about 3 weeks ago and we went through on my hairdressing.You need to get references from the wholesalers that you use ,client references,refereence from accountant and the rest that people have told you.Ours was a month within completing and i had a visit from immigration i couldnt beleive it.My agent had never heard of this but we got it x
Old May 10th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

bluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tony s
hi we got our visas about 3 weeks ago and we went through on my hairdressing.You need to get references from the wholesalers that you use ,client references,refereence from accountant and the rest that people have told you.Ours was a month within completing and i had a visit from immigration i couldnt beleive it.My agent had never heard of this but we got it x
My wife applied as a Hairdresser (Granted in January) - She was self employed, and at first everything was very Straightforward, however at the last stages Her Salon received a Call to enquire abot the work she had done,

She submitted, Client References, Tax references, Wholsalers References and details from Accountant, as well as the usual Othe requirements.

All was fine in the end and we have our Flights booked for October the 1st !

All will be OK

Good Luck
Old May 10th 2007, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi Babs
No thats great thanks for replying - i thought it would be as you say to be honest - i suppose its logical - never thought about reciepts from suppliers - better keep them as well.
So are you still going over as a hairdresser then or has the low pay put you off this route - its the same here i reckon unless you work for yourself. Where are you hoping to live - we would love to be around Brisbane area.
Thanks again - much appreciated
Sam
Hi Sam, have been out of hairdressing for a few years now, am going back through OHs work but am thinking of trying to get into teaching hairdressing at the college here before we go and get into that side of things for a change. Good luck with it all anyway, its not bad money freelance and you have a bit more freedom than working for a salon.i did it for six years, full time. Worked great with small children too( that bit may not apply to you of course....),ll best Babs
Old May 10th 2007, 8:57 pm
Happy in my bubble

Hi all
Just like to say a big thank you to all who have replied - notes taken and will be acted upon.
OMG ive never heard of immigration coming to see people either - youd have thought all the checks you go through when applying would be enough wouldnt you - hope everything went ok and i wish you all well and thank you again.
Sam