Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying with oxygen

Flying with oxygen

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:51 am
jmc
Midlands to Mornington

jmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to all
Default Flying with oxygen

My mother in law wants to visit us but needs in flight oxygen do all airlines carry this, she is also 80 so will travel insurance be a problem has anyone come across this ?

Lou
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flying with oxygen

I think I remember that some airlines were charging for oxygen so perhaps to check before you book?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmc
My mother in law wants to visit us but needs in flight oxygen do all airlines carry this, she is also 80 so will travel insurance be a problem has anyone come across this ?

Lou
Contact the airlines - they will have a policy about it. Also if she needs oxygen travel insurance may be very difficult. If she falls ill and the plane is diverted etc then the medical bills could be in 5 figures + very quickly.

She should talk to her doctor first to see if she is fit to fly - I doubt the airlines would allow her on board without a letter from a doctor.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:13 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jmc

Lou
Hi Lou,
Travel insurance is very difficult to get and very expensive once you are over 70. My father who travelled at the age of 91 got his through SAGA the holiday people for the over 55's. I contacted all the insurance brokers and no company wanted to know. Things may have changed though.

I think 4 years ago for 3 weeks in Dubai it cost him £600 with no medical conditions. For OZ it may be cheaper as there are reciprical medical agreements.

Good luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

If you are over 80 it is hard to get insurance. Is she fit to fly if oxygen dependant??? I doubt if many companies will take the risk. So sorry.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jmc

Lou
She will be charged for oxygen that will be put on especially for her to use, it will be placed under the seat infront of her. All airlines do carry oxygen, in a ring main system, also portable bottles for first aid/crew use. But if a passenger knows they will probably need it, it's best to book it when purchasing your tickets. Travel insurance should not be a problem, but you may have to shop around a bit.

Regards, Jarvl.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:32 am
jmc
Midlands to Mornington

jmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to alljmc is a name known to all

Thanks for you replies , my mother does not require oxygen for every day living but doctor advises for inflight , she is determined to come but hope its safe .

Lou
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmc
Thanks for you replies , my mother does not require oxygen for every day living but doctor advises for inflight , she is determined to come but hope its safe .

Lou
Lou,

I have seen many passengers travelling with oxygen, as advised by their Doctors. The fact that they have it, oftens means that they don't need it, as they are relaxed knowing it is there. Feel free to pm me, was cabin crew for many years, so may be able to help you with any worries.

Take care,
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:42 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jarvl
She will be charged for oxygen that will be put on especially for her to use, it will be placed under the seat infront of her. All airlines do carry oxygen, in a ring main system, also portable bottles for first aid/crew use. But if a passenger knows they will probably need it, it's best to book it when purchasing your tickets. Travel insurance should not be a problem, but you may have to shop around a bit.

Regards, Jarvl.
Eeeerrrrrr....No. Not all airlines charge. Certain UK airline with a big red tail with a V on it doesn't and it can be pre-booked at time of booking or via special assistance. You will need to know the flow rate (litres per hour) required and may require a doctors letter that she is fit to fly. Aproximately 23 bottles of oxygen are carried, 4 of which are specifically for prebooked theraputic use, so should be more than enough for the trip.

Oh, and because I am pedantic. Not all aircraft use a ring main system. 747 yes. Airbus no. But neither of them are for theraputic use.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Eeeerrrrrr....No. Not all airlines charge. Certain UK airline with a big red tail with a V on it doesn't and it can be pre-booked at time of booking or via special assistance. You will need to know the flow rate (litres per hour) required and may require a doctors letter that she is fit to fly. Aproximately 23 bottles of oxygen are carried, 4 of which are specifically for prebooked theraputic use, so should be more than enough for the trip.

Oh, and because I am pedantic. Not all aircraft use a ring main system. 747 yes. Airbus no. But neither of them are for theraputic use.
Sorry, stand corrected, yes I was talking about 747.

Last edited by Jarvl; Mar 2nd 2009 at 10:57 am.