Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying Not cheap even with FF miles.

Flying Not cheap even with FF miles.

Old May 4th 2011, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying Not cheap even with FF miles.

Just found a couple of seats on qantas FF to UK, feeling lucky till I get to the fees and taxes add $1796 for two seats.

You cant bloody win.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flying Not cheap even with FF miles.

What do you expect when you live in the ass end of no where.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36
Paul Keating wasnt it?

I am sure last time I booked to UK on FF - the taxes were only $478 for one person. Not that long ago either.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:38 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36
A little known fact is that when Willem Janszoon sailed the Duyfken close to these shores for the first time, his First Mate Alphonso Traylier was with him on the deck.

As the mist cleared and they caught their first glimpse of land, Alphoso asked “what part of the world be this Capn?”

Janszoon gave the immportal reply “The Arse, Traylier”

The rest is history.
Old May 4th 2011, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

This time last year they were $630 for an individual IIRC but when I just booked 4 adults, one child and a baby the other day, the travel agent said that taxes and fees had gone up significantly. I think points and pay seem to be reasonable value but yes, they do make it hard for you to escape from the ar$e end of the world (that's the only thing PK said that I actually agreed with!)
Old May 4th 2011, 5:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Just found a couple of seats on qantas FF to UK, feeling lucky till I get to the fees and taxes add $1796 for two seats.

You cant bloody win.
On Qantas yeah.

Depends who you book with though. The booking I just made on Thai with US Airways miles cost me a grand total of A$408 in taxes and charges. And that includes an extra GBP85 UK APD as it's in first / business class.

So the same routing booking Thai on US would be just $555ish for two.
Old May 4th 2011, 5:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
This time last year they were $630 for an individual IIRC
QF surcharge to the UK went up by $200 (return) last week I think. Total fuel surcharge is now about $600 before any 'real' taxes are added.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
On Qantas yeah.

Depends who you book with though. The booking I just made on Thai with US Airways miles cost me a grand total of A$408 in taxes and charges. And that includes an extra GBP85 UK APD as it's in first / business class.

So the same routing booking Thai on US would be just $555ish for two.
Thats one heck of a difference!!

With the qantass taxes it makes the points a joke, but what else can you do with them, myer vouchers or a blender for 70,000 points.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Thats one heck of a difference!!

With the qantass taxes it makes the points a joke, but what else can you do with them, myer vouchers or a blender for 70,000 points.
I think its just another example of the naffness of QFF.

QF even charges these extras if you fly on an airline which wouldn't charge you them itself!
Old May 4th 2011, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

QF even charges these extras if you fly on an airline which wouldn't charge you them itself!
Why am I not surprised
Old May 4th 2011, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I think its just another example of the naffness of QFF.

Which air miles are good to collect?
Old May 4th 2011, 10:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by fish.01
Which air miles are good to collect?
It's a tricky one...I have QFF because in Aus there are plenty of chances to earn stacks of bonus points from partners. I very rarely go near a Qantas plane but I have 333k points at the moment. Don't really like QFF though.

What I'd really like is to see Virgin Australia join Star Alliance one day, then I might stick with my US Airways miles (sure you've seen the other thread).

Depends how you are going to earn your miles I suppose...some credit cards will post miles to almost anyone.

If you want lounge access in Australia because of doing a lot of domestic travel then really it has to be Qantas or Virgin.

Emirates is another one that includes fuel surcharges in the fare rather than the extras, hence on a frequent flyer award you only pay genuine taxes.
Old May 4th 2011, 11:33 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason I collect QF points is to blow on domestic flights, usually I'm connecting to a completely different airline and flying internationally from Sydney etc. It's hard to say no to those points when you get so many for fuel, supermarkets and booze thrown at you.

Incidentally. Platinum Amex card - complimentary Priority Pass membership = access free into the Virgin Lounge and a free Virgin flight a year amongst the plethora of other reasons to have one.

That said, I've just used some Virgin Atantic miles to the UK Upper Class.

Here's a breakdown on fees. Yes 300,00 dollars for the privilege of landing in the UK. Wonder how that would pan out with an exchange rate of 2.4 ?

Operating Airline Fuel & Insurance Surcharge YQ AUD 290.00
Australia International Passenger Service Charge WY AUD 50.54
Australia Passenger Movement Charge AU AUD 47.00
UK Air Passenger Duty GB AUD 265.50
UK Passenger Service Charge UB AUD 47.90
Total AUD 700.94

Still - its cheaper than Qantas I guess and means I dont have to travel on the flying dog. I do wonder that with the advent of Virgin Australia branding, proper business class and a truly global link with other carriers finally, what will the future hold for Qantas. I suspect it's very grim indeed.
Old May 4th 2011, 11:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Centurion
Operating Airline Fuel & Insurance Surcharge YQ AUD 290.00
Australia International Passenger Service Charge WY AUD 50.54
Australia Passenger Movement Charge AU AUD 47.00
UK Air Passenger Duty GB AUD 265.50
UK Passenger Service Charge UB AUD 47.90
Total AUD 700.94

Still - its cheaper than Qantas I guess and means I dont have to travel on the flying dog.
Yup, QF fuel surcharge is AUD 290.00 EACH WAY!

I blew 40k on a upgrade to QF biz on a flight to HKG last year, wished I hadn't bothered...it was distinctly, meh!