Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flooring Trade - off to Adelaide to find work.

Flooring Trade - off to Adelaide to find work.

Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:43 am
Just Joined

ozziemart2b is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Flooring Trade - off to Adelaide to find work.

Have decided to pack myself a bag and head off alone leaving the family to fend for themselves whilst I source a sponsor for our dream to live in Aus.....

We had began our application - and it is now on hold as we are awaiting the reintroduction of pathway D as for my trade in carpet and floor fitting there doesnt seem to be many more options. Our agent has said if we can source a sponsor then they can help with all the legwork for us and them so off to Adelaide I go.........................

So anyone out there - particularly if you are in this line of work - then any advice, guidance, pointers would be a magnificent help to me. I currently run my own business and have an excellent working record and references from previous employers. I believe you have to work hard, be reliable, and nothing will come to those who wait around...................hence for my heading over to Aus as the frustration of waiting for a possibility of pathway D matters changing are not guaranteed..................

Anyone over in Adelaide - could you guide me on a good location to stay for a week (clean, cheap and centrally located if poss), should I hire a car or rely on public transport?? And should I pack my cap as I am a little bald on top nowadays????

Wish me luck guys and hopefully I will be coming back to the Uk with some fab news for the family and an aussie accent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers to all. Mart.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:53 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flooring Trade - off to Adelaide to find work.

Gday Mate,

Email the following 3 companies:

Premium Cork and Timber ( biggest in oz , trade )
Andersens Flooring ( i have the owners email, but is on old pc )
TruGrid Flooring.

They should get you some work, contacts etc.

Also if you do Vinyl, Karndean are quite big here, give them a holler ! very helpful

Ste
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:04 am
Just Joined

ozziemart2b is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply - ............................keep em coming!

Better get the flight booked!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Libby1971 is on a distinguished road

Don't bother with buses etc coz they are all cr*p! You can use the tram which is great and the buses in the centre are good too but out in the suburbs, don't bother.

You can hire a Hyundai Getz for about $35 a day. This will be especially useful as the car will come with a map so you can find your way around. It will also be handy if you intend to drive round some of the suburbs while you were so you can tell the folks back home about places to be heading.

A friend rented a place in Saville Apartments for $70 a night. It was on Hindley St which is a great place to be when the sun is up. I will let others tell you about this street.

And yes, get a hat. The temps this week are all over 30 and it is very easy to burn here.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:27 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Wow you are brave!! My OH cousin was over about 6 months ago and he does carpets etc etc and he went round a few places and he had a couple that would of given him a job with the experience he had!!

He still thinking about it!!

Good luck!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about info, just wanted to wish you good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:04 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

i live in adelaide..the southern suburbs are full of brits and also a lot of new houses going up...have you thought of staying near the beach or even on a caravan park ? your donna have fun and some frustrations too..
good luck to ya...keep in touch...
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:19 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

goodluck bro x