Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Old Jul 10th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all
Default Re: Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Originally Posted by Hughesjohn
We have also had some difficulty selling our house in North London. We put it on the market last summer for £305,000 after having it valued by the local Estate Agent. He said that it would sell in a few weeks.

We had quite a few viewings in September and October, but the offers were around 15% less than the asking price. We decided that we would hold out for something closer to the asking price.

In January, we went multiple agents after speaking to our friends. 2% commission seemed like a small price to pay to get our sale and enabling us to move to Perth.

Virtually no viewings and in March, the agent recommended reducing the price to £290k, which we reluctantly did. No real interest - we have just been asked to reduce to £275k which we have done. Interest level has gone up, so we have our fingers crossed now.

Sending Karma to you, but please return it with some more, as we need to sell up by August ideally to make our move.
Good luck, and lots of Karma sent too.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 8:40 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by clairey
Hi
This is my first post on here,would've liked it to be a positive one but reading all these messages about selling houses is something I can really relate to so I can empathise with you all. We had our visa granted in March and put the house up in April.We've had about 10 viewings and two offers but practically everyone that comes hasn't even put their house on the market yet!! We had a second viewing from 1st time buyers on Friday who said they would email and let us know their decision the day after,we haven't heard a thing!

We're so incredibly stressed and fed up that we are seriously considering just selling it cheap to a company that buys houses for cash.We will still make a profit but won't have a decent amount of money left over for a deposit on a new house.It's a last resort,especially since we have offers in at the full asking price but we can't hang around forever waiting for them to sell theirs first. I really hope it's worth all this stress,our excitement is starting to dampen now.

Claire
Not tryin to sell our house just yet but wanted to say welcome to the forum
Old Jul 10th 2005, 9:45 pm
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Hi Paula,
This is something I don't understand. Here in Scotland the houses seem to sell quickly. Our flat sold with in a week, and 4 people bid atleast 20,000 over the asking price. And 2 other places in the same area had the same ordeal. Then I read stories like yours about having houses on the market for so long and then getting £1,000's taken off just to sell. It seems to be a lot different in Scotland. Anyway, I wish you good luck with the house sale, let us know soon how it turns out.
If you have any more troubles with the house sale let me know and I'll pull your house up to Scotland. It'll sell with in a week....

Jim

P.S. Karma sent.
I wish Jim...........
Our house has been on the market for several months..........lots of offers but all way under the asking price there seems to be a glut of houses in the scottish borders.a buyers market i'm told fingers crossed.
Know anyone who would like to buy a 3 bedroom detached in village.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Hughesjohn is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cantwait
Good luck, and lots of Karma sent too.
This is getting ridiculous. We had an offer today at £240k!!! £35k less than the asking price which was in turn reduced from £305k!

Are these buyers nuts! Will we ever be able to make our move?
Worse still, the Australian Dollar has been getting stronger, so in effect we are getting poorer (assuming that we move)!

I am not a happy bunny.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Seriously is on a distinguished road

This is getting ridiculous. We had an offer today at £240k!!! £35k less than the asking price which was in turn reduced from £305k!

Worse still, the Australian Dollar has been getting stronger, so in effect we are getting poorer (assuming that we move)!

I am not a happy bunny.
Your Estate Agent wants his backside kicking. Having dropped from 305 to 275 your agent should be making buyers aware they can get a bargain at 270 and making them realise an offer of 240 is simply a waste of a phone call. They are supposed to get you the best price but credibility goes out the window when a house goes from an asking price of 305 to 240.

Sack your agent and try another one.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:48 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brisnick
was it really a 20k loss, or was the house overvalued by 20k?

really, if you sold the house for more than you bought it for taking into account inflation, then you haven't made a loss at all!
Hi brisnick,
The agents tried to overprice our house to start with but we wouldn't agree to it. It was actually cheaper than most around here to start with.
Our house was completely renovated just over 2 years ago and had we paid someone to do it, would have cost around 25k for all work etc. We did everything ourselves over a period of 3 months, everynight after work and weekends etc and spent around 12k and had to live with the MIL, :scared: . So you are right in one sense, we haven't actually made a loss. Just been a nightmare being on the market 11 months before getting any offers and having to pay massive amounts of interest on the money we borrowed for our bond. We owe more now than we actually borrowed, but I'm sure it will all be worth it when we eventually sign on the dotted line.
Sarah
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

rob&kim is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=cantwait]Hi everyone.
We were in the same predicament as you. We topped up the mortgage rented the house and have been living in Noosa sunshine coast for 20 months now. We"ll forget about the house until such a time in the future when the housing market picks up. Surely this has got to be a better option rather over 4mths later anthan letting all that hard earned cash go down the drain.
rob and kim
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

chaleyscott will become famous soon enoughchaleyscott will become famous soon enough

From financial articles I have read in the Guardian, FT, Telegraph and BBC Online recently, the consensus from economists is that interest rates are highly likely to drop quarter percent on 7 August and this will be the start of a gradual drop. Apparently this is because of a lack of consumer spending - accentuated now by the London bombings - and this drop will encourage consumer confidence.

What I am not sure of is how long this news will take to boost the property market. We need to sell by November and have had hardly any viewings so far. The interest rate drop (if it does happen) can only be good news but will it give the market an immediate kick up the bum or will it take until next year to have any sort of profound effect? Was anyone selling the last time they started dropping interest rates by quarter percent every few months who can comment?

Anyone wanting to read pieces then do a search on the online broadsheets and tap in 'Bank of England interest rates' - lots of stuff on there people like us want to hear!

Chaley

&kim]
Hi everyone.
We were in the same predicament as you. We topped up the mortgage rented the house and have been living in Noosa sunshine coast for 20 months now. We"ll forget about the house until such a time in the future when the housing market picks up. Surely this has got to be a better option rather over 4mths later anthan letting all that hard earned cash go down the drain.
rob and kim
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:45 am
superam74

Hi everyone.

We really need some good luck Karma for Sunday, we've got a couple coming round for a second viewing, they came last Saturday and the agent rang yesterday to say they want to come back at the weekend he also said they looked at quite a lot of properties but said they liked our's the best, i cant help but get exited.

We put the house for sale 1st March, and the agent said at the time it should sell very quickly, good area, and we've got a really large plot, but over 4mths later and we are still hear, (with the visa in our hands waiting.)

Can't really bear the thought of the kids going back to school in September, my son said all the kids at school have been saying "are you not going to Australia now".

So last week we decided to drop the price not something we wanted to do but we thought it might help or save us a trip out to validate the visa at the end of the year, since we dropped it £18,000 we've had more viewing's.

The estate agent said nothing's really selling at the moment only the bargain's, last month a couple made an offer £45,000 grand under the asking price we told them were to stick the offer.

Any one else in the same boat??

Paula.
Warrington, Cheshire. Brisbane soooooon please.
Hi ,you said the kids are asking, "are you going to oz yet?" If you are trying to sell your house,you should let as little amount of people possible know that you're migrating. because as soon as word gets around, people are gonna know that your desperate to sell & will try to make offers that are nowhere near the asking price. Having said that ,when you have sold it, you can climb up on the roof & shout it to the whole world!

Old Jul 17th 2005, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

We really need some good luck Karma for Sunday, we've got a couple coming round for a second viewing, they came last Saturday and the agent rang yesterday to say they want to come back at the weekend he also said they looked at quite a lot of properties but said they liked our's the best, i cant help but get exited.

We put the house for sale 1st March, and the agent said at the time it should sell very quickly, good area, and we've got a really large plot, but over 4mths later and we are still hear, (with the visa in our hands waiting.)

Can't really bear the thought of the kids going back to school in September, my son said all the kids at school have been saying "are you not going to Australia now".

So last week we decided to drop the price not something we wanted to do but we thought it might help or save us a trip out to validate the visa at the end of the year, since we dropped it £18,000 we've had more viewing's.

The estate agent said nothing's really selling at the moment only the bargain's, last month a couple made an offer £45,000 grand under the asking price we told them were to stick the offer.

Any one else in the same boat??

Paula.
Warrington, Cheshire. Brisbane soooooon please.
Paula we know exactly how you feel.
We have only had ours on the market for 2 months but we have only had two viewings total time wasters.
We have decided to go out in August to validate as my hubby's work shuts down then for two weeks.
Could do without the added expense but at least the pressure will be off us.
The market really is slow never thought we would be in this position.
My son's the same even the teachers have asked will he be starting back in September and at this rate I think he will.
Infact dread the thought but we may even be here at Christmas.
We have dropped the price of our house but there's no way we are going to give it away we need every penny when we get over to Oz its gonna be hard enough as it is .
So moan over but believe me I am sure there are loads of us in the same situation.
I suppose we have waited this long we are all used to the wait by now.
Good Luck I am sure someone will buy your house soon,its just getting the right person through the front door at the end of the day.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a happy bunny.
Its not looking good at all.The Australian Dollar is really strong at the moment maybe we would be better haging on for a bit to see if things change.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

clairey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
When I last relied to this thread i was pretty down with all this selling houses business.Well,I just wanted to say you never know what's going to happen.After 11 weeks on the market,12 viewings and 3 offers all from people yet to sell their houses we'd nearly given up.Then last week we had a couple come round who've sold their house and need to move fast,we accepted their offer and it's all go now. We're just now completely stressed out with what to ship and who to use.

Don't give up,it will happen!!

Claire
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:22 pm
exexpat

AgeingBabyBoomer will become famous soon enoughAgeingBabyBoomer will become famous soon enough

Hi All,

I registered specially to post this.

I feel for you people trying to sell in a falling market, I
am quite old, and never yet been a homeowner, though
for the past five years or so, I would have liked to have
been.
Each time I thought about it prices jumped 20%, but my
salary didn't jump with it.

I ought to be watching with glee, but know that the
spiv estate agents and attendant housing market
parasites are the only real winners here.

All the easy money has been made that is going to be for a while.

Having watched the market move out of reach, I have had time to hear all the spin (supply and demand, it sooo affordable, interest rates are hisorically low yadda, yadda), but also had a crash course in economics.

(Apparently, objects have no value - it is given to them by humans.
an object is worth precisely what somebody will pay for it. Some guy called Keynes?)

Right now property values are all askew, so if you want to
sell quick you gotta cut the price - quite a lot.
Bear in mind that property is widely held to be 20-30% overvalued (whatever that means ), and prices are falling faster than the spin merchants want us to believe.

I also was an expat for a bit, but was renting, so never been n your situation. However, if I were holding the visa, I wouldn't let any shifty EA stop me from getting on with my life.

Anyhow, the guy who posted ealier made a good point.

Figure out how much you _paid_ for it, subtract cost of moving etc,and see how much profit you have at 'market value'.

If you have lived there any length of time (5yrs+), chances are you have made a lot of cash, and can afford to drop the price to a level that will get you off the hook, and release you from those monthly mortgage payments.

Also, bear in mind that if your gaff doesn't sell, the EA gets nothing, but if it goes off his books, even at 'below market value', he gets some (albeit not as fat as last year) comission.

Good news (?) is that Oz seems to be going through the same and
they seem to be a few months deeper in to it than us - predctions are it could last a good while.

So, the boot will be on the other foot once you get there.

My (admittedly inexpert) advice is to cut and run, put the money somewhere safe (into gold?), and rent when you get to the
sunny side of the planet.

Why put yourselves through months of stress, only to find you cut
the price anyway.

BTW if you want the low down on global house price challenges, go to
www.globalhousepricecrashcom - don't rely on hearsay, or the press

I really ought to be making cheeky offers to you folks, but really
I'm quite jealous (wouldn't mind Oz myself one day) - and I quite
fancy a cottage in the countryside at knock down price - sadly, the borders is a bit of a commute.

Anyhow, be rational, and don't take any cr#p from the vested
interests in the housing market.

Hope you all get there soon

ABB
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

mylittlefriendbaxter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Don't want to be negative about this but UK interest rates going down is not something to look forward to if you intend selling your GBP for AUDs in the future.

The UK dropping rates will be a clear sign that our economy is a lame duck without a housing boom fuelled consumer spending spree. Oz is in a much better position due to its mining, commodities and its role in feeding Chinas insatiable appetite for raw materials.

If the MPC and Crash Gordon fly in the face of rising interest rates in the US, the forseable future for sterling is pretty bleak. I was in the US a few months ago and since then sterling has already dropped from 1.92 to 1.75.

In all honesty it may be worth taking a big hit now as you may have the double whammy of dropping prices and very weak sterling to worry about pretty soon.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 2:34 am
Badge

Originally Posted by bleugh
.............thats not the point.

by looking on the market at SOLD houses broadly similar to your own, you can see what you're likley to get.

IF your huose is on the market for 18 months, thats going to be 10-20k for some of you in mortgage payments.

drop that off the house now, then voila, quick sale :-)
agreed - as Don said once, today's price is today's price. Holding on will get you a lower price.

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.