British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Flippin housing market what's going on at all. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flippin-housing-market-whats-going-all-312449/)

cantwait Jul 6th 2005 3:20 pm

Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Hi everyone.

We really need some good luck Karma for Sunday, we've got a couple coming round for a second viewing, they came last Saturday and the agent rang yesterday to say they want to come back at the weekend he also said they looked at quite a lot of properties but said they liked our's the best, i cant help but get exited.

We put the house for sale 1st March, and the agent said at the time it should sell very quickly, good area, and we've got a really large plot, but over 4mths later and we are still hear, (with the visa in our hands waiting.)

Can't really bear the thought of the kids going back to school in September, my son said all the kids at school have been saying "are you not going to Australia now".

So last week we decided to drop the price not something we wanted to do but we thought it might help or save us a trip out to validate the visa at the end of the year, since we dropped it £18,000 we've had more viewing's.

The estate agent said nothing's really selling at the moment only the bargain's, last month a couple made an offer £45,000 grand under the asking price we told them were to stick the offer.

Any one else in the same boat??

Paula.
Warrington, Cheshire. Brisbane soooooon please.

rcladin Jul 6th 2005 3:28 pm

Re: Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Unfortunately it looks like house prices are dropping in the UK, Maybe it will crash, lets hope not,

I do hope you can sell and move over to Aus, you should check the internet to find details about the state of the market in your area, you may have to accept a lower than expected bid.

teach Jul 6th 2005 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by cantwait
Hi everyone.

We really need some good luck Karma for Sunday, we've got a couple coming round for a second viewing, they came last Saturday and the agent rang yesterday to say they want to come back at the weekend he also said they looked at quite a lot of properties but said they liked our's the best, i cant help but get exited.

We put the house for sale 1st March, and the agent said at the time it should sell very quickly, good area, and we've got a really large plot, but over 4mths later and we are still hear, (with the visa in our hands waiting.)

Can't really bear the thought of the kids going back to school in September, my son said all the kids at school have been saying "are you not going to Australia now".

So last week we decided to drop the price not something we wanted to do but we thought it might help or save us a trip out to validate the visa at the end of the year, since we dropped it £18,000 we've had more viewing's.

The estate agent said nothing's really selling at the moment only the bargain's, last month a couple made an offer £45,000 grand under the asking price we told them were to stick the offer.

Paula.

Good luck with the second viewing. We too have a visa burning a hole in our passports and our house was on the market for 11 months before we got any offers at all. We also dropped the price a few times and then accepted an offer 5k under our final asking price, a 20k loss all told, but if it gets us on our merry way we can live with that. We have now been waiting to exchange for nearly 3 weeks and hope it is sooner rather than later.
I too don't want to go back to school in September, so I know what your children are going through.
I hope it all turns out well for you.
Sarah

zx10r_aus Jul 6th 2005 3:53 pm

Hi everyone.

Paula.

Hi Paula,
This is something I don't understand. Here in Scotland the houses seem to sell quickly. Our flat sold with in a week, and 4 people bid atleast 20,000 over the asking price. And 2 other places in the same area had the same ordeal. Then I read stories like yours about having houses on the market for so long and then getting £1,000's taken off just to sell. It seems to be a lot different in Scotland. Anyway, I wish you good luck with the house sale, let us know soon how it turns out.
If you have any more troubles with the house sale let me know and I'll pull your house up to Scotland. It'll sell with in a week.... :D

Jim

P.S. Karma sent.

Australia Bound Jul 6th 2005 4:05 pm

Good luck with your house selling. It's a hard time. Especially when you're ready to go.

I just hope this trend doesn't migrate into Scotland. All our money is tied up in our house.

kirsty&al Jul 6th 2005 4:19 pm

You don't have to send them back to school, unless you have to (i.e. because you're working). If you're able to do it then you might want to spend some time showing them bits of the UK that they havn't seen before you leave. You'll be surprised what they will learn.

Regards
Alistair

sid_s Jul 6th 2005 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Hi Paula,
This is something I don't understand. Here in Scotland the houses seem to sell quickly. Our flat sold with in a week, and 4 people bid atleast 20,000 over the asking price. And 2 other places in the same area had the same ordeal. Then I read stories like yours about having houses on the market for so long and then getting £1,000's taken off just to sell. It seems to be a lot different in Scotland. Anyway, I wish you good luck with the house sale, let us know soon how it turns out.
If you have any more troubles with the house sale let me know and I'll pull your house up to Scotland. It'll sell with in a week.... :D

Jim

P.S. Karma sent.

I have an investment place in Scotland so I'm also hoping things don't go the same way there but I have seen a few articles predicting that they will.

One place reports a 9% drop this year but some areas are still rising...
http://www.s1homes.com/buying/news/a...15-30-45.shtml

On the up side, it does seem that Australia has been experiencing a similar thing recently - prices dropping, stagnant market - so even though people may have to drop their price to sell in the UK, hopefully if you buy in Oz you will end up paying less than you might have a couple of years ago.

manxfamily Jul 6th 2005 4:23 pm

Second viewing you say.. your lucky, weve been waiting nearly two months and had only one very uninterested viewing.

I am trying to sell privately, but I fear I may need to call in the Estate Agents soon, medicals are booked for next week and we need to sell house for our capital investment request!!! Yikes.. cutting it fine.

Tiawamutu Jul 6th 2005 4:24 pm

Hope it all goes well on Sunday cantwait, I'll have my fingers crossed for you all.

Good luck Karma on it's way :)

coxfamuk Jul 6th 2005 4:36 pm

Hi everyone.

Paula.

See my post on the ridiculous reasons people are giving to reject a house - not sure if it is anyone's market - actually, not sure there is a market at all!!

Aus4us Jul 6th 2005 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Hi Paula,

Jim

P.S. Karma sent.

Hi!!

We should employ you instead of our estate agents!!! Our house has been on the market in Scotland for 3 months!!!!

It is like a big nightmare!!!!!

Got a viewer this weekend though.......first one in weeks!!!!

Roni

MarkG Jul 6th 2005 4:55 pm

Here in Scotland the houses seem to sell quickly.
From the figures I've seen, Scotland and Northern Ireland seem to be the last vestiges of the housing boom (and the only reason why British year-on-year price figures haven't quite gone negative yet... or hadn't, last I looked).

kyliecuteass Jul 6th 2005 5:07 pm

Hi everyone.

Paula.

fingers crossed for you. Karma is on its way x

jond Jul 6th 2005 5:08 pm

Hi everyone.

Paula.

Hi we also have a visa burning a hole in our pockets, got to validate by feb05. Had our house on the market for 3 weeks and had 4 viewings, 2 seemed interested but one of them was a complete waster he never said a word until he got into the main bedroom and then wanted to know why there was'nt a window in 1 of the walls ( I don't know I did'nt build the house).
We have not heard from the estate agents for over a week now, I think we will give it another month and then maybe think about dropping the price.

Good luck to everybody in the same boat.

John & Julie

Sue2 Jul 6th 2005 5:15 pm

Hi everyone.

Paula.

Good luck with your 2nd viewing!! everything crossed :)

Send you some K....house selling lark is soooo pants

All the best

Sue