Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights from Manchester to Sydney

Flights from Manchester to Sydney

Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

KevC has a spectacular aura aboutKevC has a spectacular aura aboutKevC has a spectacular aura about
Default Flights from Manchester to Sydney

The wife and I are planning a three-week holiday to Australia in late October this year - hopefully to convince her that emigration would be a positive move - and I've been looking at prices/flights online this afternoon, but I'd like to know if there's any reason why all the flights out of Manchester now seem to route through Gatwick and Heathrow???

When I went to Australia in 02/03 I flew direct from Manchester to KL and on to Sydney (with Malaysia) and I can't seem to find anything similar now. Don't really want the hassle of two changes, and living in Yorkshire I don't want to have to get a train to London and mess about getting to Heathrow that way, so does anyone have any advice? Is there any way around it? Do any airlines offer direct flights from Manchester to Sydney these days??

Tips on good places to look to book would be appreciated too!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:19 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights from Manchester to Sydney

Singapore Airlines fly MAN to SIN and then SIN to SYD.

www.singaporeair.com
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Emirates too - they fly Manchester-Dubai and then onwards to Sydney.

Only direct flights to Sydney from the UK are from Heathrow I'm sure.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FilSheff

Only direct flights to Sydney from the UK are from Heathrow I'm sure.
There are no direct flights.....they all stop somewhere on the way.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:37 am
Just Joined

the_spread is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KevC
The wife and I are planning a three-week holiday to Australia in late October this year - hopefully to convince her that emigration would be a positive move - and I've been looking at prices/flights online this afternoon, but I'd like to know if there's any reason why all the flights out of Manchester now seem to route through Gatwick and Heathrow???

When I went to Australia in 02/03 I flew direct from Manchester to KL and on to Sydney (with Malaysia) and I can't seem to find anything similar now. Don't really want the hassle of two changes, and living in Yorkshire I don't want to have to get a train to London and mess about getting to Heathrow that way, so does anyone have any advice? Is there any way around it? Do any airlines offer direct flights from Manchester to Sydney these days??

Ask about the cost for a connecting flight to LHR from Manchester as part of an onward flight to Sydney the cost is often quite small.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 1:12 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Etihad also offer one stop flights through Abu Dhabi to Sydney. Most major airlines pulled out of flying direct (well one stop) from manchester and you now have to go through Heathrow or another major Europe airport such as Paris or Frankfurt.

The other thing you could look at is to go via America.

Try www.kayak.co.uk or www.traveljungle.com - I always found them the best search engines for flights in UK - but always check price against airlines own website before you book.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

hi - from Yorkshire your best bet is Emirates from Manchester or Newcastle (changing in Dubai), or Singapore Airlines from Manchester (changing in Singapore). Emirates quite often have flight sales on where you can get a good price flight. Theres also the option of KLM from Humberside Airport connecting in Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur (the second part of the flight is with Malaysian Airlines).

I'm also from East Yorkshire and have used all the above options over the years. We've also flown from Heathrow, and find that the extra time spent getting to Heathrow and back really adds to the trip (and the jetlag!) Connecting flights down to Heathrow aren't really an option from East Yorkshire without first having to hike across to Leeds or Manchester, it was actually much easier to go to Amsterdam from Humberside airport with Klm than to Heathrow.

we've booked flights with the airlines direct (on their websites) and via expedia.co.uk and ebookers.co.uk. I usually try all the different websites as prices seem to be different on each at any given time.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
There are no direct flights.....they all stop somewhere on the way.
What I meant was you don't have to get off one plane and onto another. Of course you have to refuel somehwere.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

KevC has a spectacular aura aboutKevC has a spectacular aura aboutKevC has a spectacular aura about

thanks for the replies. found some from manchester with singapore airlines this morning that look quite good - only an hour or two stopover each way. hadn't thought about doing humberside-amsterdam or via america, will investigate those ideas a bit further. cheers all.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Fabienne will become famous soon enoughFabienne will become famous soon enough

thanks for the replies. found some from manchester with singapore airlines this morning that look quite good - only an hour or two stopover each way. hadn't thought about doing humberside-amsterdam or via america, will investigate those ideas a bit further. cheers all.
Kev if your going via america dont forget you will need their new on line esta visa see linkhttp://www.esta.us/travel_authorization.html?gclid=CI2Mrc7VuZkCFQESzA odY0_GSA, it is free despite many web sites saying it is NOT. I have travelled many times with Emirates and I find them better than many, Dubai with all the bus transfers can be a pain, Singapore is much more civilised and I think this is my No 1 airline particularly when your travelling so far, Happy Travels
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

We went through Thomas Cook (It was year ago though) and went Manchester - Singapore- Sydney with no "London" stopping through Singapore airlines.

Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I have been from Manchester-Heathrow-New York-San Fransciso-Sydney non stop to save money only to spend it on a hotel in Manchester (also took 36 hours - so I don't reccomend it), it was with United/BM and great airline. Also have been Teeside (MME)-Amsterdam-Singapore then onto Sydney, with KLM not a good airline.