Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flight to UK return

Flight to UK return

Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:22 am
him
token local

him has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Flight to UK return

Originally Posted by Sandra
Never had that issue ? Flightcentre have always beat any price I have found including direct airline website ones.

Obviously in the small print that they can trot out if they cannot match the fares! Typical but I will watch more carefully.

Cheers
Be aware that Flight Centre (like most travel agencies/websites) do have a bias towards certain airlines at certain times.
In March of 06 we looked around for fares for 3 adults (2 adults plus a 13 year old) to the UK return leaving Brisbane 2nd Dec returning early January.
Flight Centre's best efforts were around the 2250 per person plus taxes with Qantas/BA.
After trawling various websites and several phone calls we found a cheap fare on the Emirates website. Flight Centre claimed that it was sold out/not available which I took as being code for "too hard/not enough commision in it."
We contacted our local family run travel agency who were happy to sell us the Emirates fare and gave us multiple options with flight times etc and only charged $25 each more than the Emirates web price.
By shopping around and not believing the Flight Centre checkout operator we managed to get flight dates/times that we wanted at just $1960 each including tax.
We travelled with Emirates Brisbane to Gatwick and returned from Manchester, the first time we have dodged the Heathrow monster and definitely not the last.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that travel agents are not paid to be mind readers, however I had to work really hard at getting flight centre to give me what i want, with numerous visits to and from my local FC here in Coburg before I got the fare and schedule I wanted.

Basically I had a fare in mind, I'd seen advertised, (was around 6,000 for 2 adults and 2 kids about 2 years ago) Went down to FC, about 6 months in advance of flying, asked them best flights and prices and they came in at about 1,500 bucks more expensive. I put down as circa 7 days or so spending money. Which meant I shortened my holiday or didn't go. I walked out thinking my holiday was over, got home checked the prices on the net to find, I could get my price by travelling 5 days earlier, (from 2nd June to 27th May) whereupon I changed my schedule. Am I expecting too much for FC to have mentioned this at the time ?

Best serendipty tip I can find out of the above, is to travel on the day you finish work, not only does the other half have to get most of the packing and bags organsised, but you have an excuse to "be tired" on the trip thus negating any travelling responsbility Nah seriously it really seems to make the most of ones dates.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:08 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Some people do seem to have had not very good personal experiences with some Flight Centres. Maybe I will qualify my actions when I use flightcentre.

(1) Spend a couple of days before visit checking internet for relevant flights different dates and prices - or have an idea of what normal price is.
(2) confirm with work a window I can have leave, keeping some flexibility on dates
(3) Print out cheapest flights
(4) Visit/Phone FC and tell them who I am not prepared to fly with and what price I want to pay, give them preference dates and limit dates
(5) Go to lunch
(6) go back choose flights and get them to hold flights for 24 hours
(7) check/compare flights they have offered to internet - check you have the availibility
(8) go back and bargain if need be

I will add I work in the centre of Sydney and FC places are all over, there are three alone on my short walk from the bus stop to work, so it is an easy option for me.

Travel agents are only as good as they are trained to be and what effort they put into the job. My sister was a very well trained and highly motivated agent and has taught me how to book flights. I like flight centre cause of the price promise, same as I like David Jones cause of the price promise.

Cheers Sandra
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:16 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Best serendipty tip I can find out of the above, is to travel on the day you finish work, not only does the other half have to get most of the packing and bags organsised, but you have an excuse to "be tired" on the trip thus negating any travelling responsbility Nah seriously it really seems to make the most of ones dates.
Totally agree this is a great tip - my flights are always planned for me leaving straight from work to airport.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
I tried to book a flight in NOV with Emirates 2 weeks ago. They were charging $3800 per seat
They said come back in Feb to see if the flights have gone down in price. So i think Cas with those prices you are getting seem quite reasonable to me
Afterall there are 5 of us going back
Gosh, $3,800 seems quite high. Did you try booking it on line through Emirates or through a travel agent. I don’t know where you would be flying from but I just tried a few various date combinations from SYD to LHR and the prices ranged from $2100 to $2400 including taxes.