Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flight Entertainment packages

Flight Entertainment packages

Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight Entertainment packages

you gone directly to singapore airlines website?? i was looking last week for return flights for my mum and inbetween end of Jan to end of May they were £745 for adult return.......... didnt think that was bad at all... a lot cheaper than others actually...........

we emigrate in 3ish weeks and there are 6 of us, 3 under 3 1/2 and one 10 yr old. 2 adults. we are booked with singapore one way cost us £2580 inc insurance. all kids have their own seats

Will let you know how we get on... BTW have you thought of taking the lappy if you have one and kids psp's? Abi taking hers got her a couple of new UMD's for flight.. Sing air have Games consoles too.

Good luck x S-j x
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big Ears
[Yes the price is significant but its a looooonnnnggg way to go with two pissed off kids]

That is very true and is something i've considered. To be honest having never flown that far before I'm probably being a bit nieve and tight. The other issue for the flights i have found is that singapore have longer wait times for connecting flights at singapore whereas qantas is no more than two hours

Hi we are flying Singapore Airlines in Nov for £488 each and the stop over time is 1hour and 50 mins. Just depends on what flight you pick.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

I know we haven't yet been to Aus, but went to New York last week with BA, and to be honest I couldn't fault them. Food was good, service good, free drinks (and coming back two US guys in front of us had about 5 cans of lager at 9.00 in the morning !!!) Films/music/kids videos/audo stories etc They were brilliant. When we checked in at Heathrow, BA lady told us that we should book in online coming back and told us that bookings open at 8.45 the day before the flight and use an internet cafe etc. She was really helpful. Although I have not flown with Singapore or Emeriates, I can say my experience with BA was very good.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:01 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Hi
I booked direct with singapore yesterday to fly one way to sydney from manchester on Jan 9th 08, it cost £509 per adult & £382 per child & £125 each taxes & we get to fly on the new A380 from singapore.
These where much cheaper than any BA/Quantas & hopefully much better.

Cheers Sim

Last edited by simnmax; Oct 31st 2007 at 9:02 pm. Reason: forgot to say when flights where
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:36 pm
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Big Ears
Once again thanks for all the info and advice.

I guess it is purely down to whether I can afford the extra flight costs or not. Price difference for the 4 of us between flying qantas and singapore with equivalent stopover times is approx £600 in total, which seems like a lot of money but i guess considering the distance and time spent travelling it may be a false economy to go for the cheaper option. I was just trying to get a picture on whether the difference in carriers was hugely different.

Hi there, I flew Quantas last year to Hong Kong and the inflight entertainment was the same as Malaysian Airlines where we flew to Perth, later in the same year. Plenty of films and programs on demand and a reasonable amount of games. So would happily recommend either

As for keeping the kids entertained, don't pay an extra £600 for flights get them a PSP or Ninteno DS for Xmas this year with some games, then get them a few new games before you flyout. A PSP kept my oldest daughter quiet for about 7 hours on Friday when she came over.

They'll love you forever (well untill they want their next game)

Allan
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:53 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Just booked a one way next year with Singapore Air and it was the cheapest option. Guess it does depend on when you are going and if you are getting return tickets.

FYI - Singapore Airlines has a fantastic stopover package. You could have a 12-36 hours stopover and the prices for a SSA (or SIA) are great. You get the transfers from the airport, free cruise, hop-on hop-off bus, free entry to the zoo, free entry to loads of other things and as the country is tiny, you can do loads of stuff in the short time. It was only about from £35pp and well worth it to try and avoid jet lag.

Either that, Changi airport is GREAT -loads of things to see and do there while you wait.

I would recommend Singapore Air over BA. .Check out www.airlinequality.com for reviews and seat pitch info.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

jules123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by black cat
Really impressed with Qantas inflight stuff. Loads of films and programs which were all on demand, so did'nt have to wait for them to come round on a loop (like BA!:curse you could stop/strt etc just like on a dvd at home. Good choice of stuff for all ages! Kept my 2 (2 and 4) quite happy on flight to oz. Came back BA, really poor in comparison!
Good Luck
Go with emirates.
We have been flying to and from oz for the last 22 years with kids. We have tried just about every airline. BA and qantas proved to be a load of rubbish.Malaysia and Singapoe are just ok. I think Cathay are also OK but Emirates are by far the best.. not only on the flight with kids but also on the ground. They are also usually cheaper than BA , qantas etc.
If you intend to fly once a year to UK or so, their frequent flyer system is second to none. Our son has been able to fly twice to Australia for free with our frequent flyer points.. and believe it or not as long as there is a free seat on the day you wish to travel with the points, they honour it, not like the scummy system with BA abd Qantas which means jack shit!!!
All the best with what you chose
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:24 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Two reasons I fly with Emirates:

1. I can depart from Gatwick rather than Heathrow.

2. The in flight entertainment system is the best I have encountered.

A downside is Dubai airport - not so good as Changi in my view, although the terminal in Dubai seems to be undergoing a major increase in size.

Best regards.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:31 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Dont talk to me about QANTAS and IFE I have the pleasure in a few weeks of flying BNE to HKG on the ancient 767 which has no seat back TV's only a few overhead TV's. You would get more luxury flying a Lancaster bomber and the Lanc would probably be more modern as well!!!

I would agree with Alan that Emirates have the best IFE that I have flown with.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:37 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

We think Singapore is great but to save £600 I would go with BA/Quantas - we flew with them once and it wasn't that bad at all.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by black cat
Really impressed with Qantas inflight stuff. Loads of films and programs which were all on demand, so did'nt have to wait for them to come round on a loop (like BA!:curse you could stop/strt etc just like on a dvd at home. Good choice of stuff for all ages! Kept my 2 (2 and 4) quite happy on flight to oz. Came back BA, really poor in comparison!
Good Luck
totaly agree with this quantus fab ba pants

karen
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:05 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karensoutherden
totaly agree with this quantus fab ba pants

karen
This really surprises me......BA and Qantas are one in the same..... they share so much of their operation and do so many things the same.....they even share all the money they earn flying between the UK and Oz!

What both airlines suffer from is a complete lack of consistency, generally coming down to the airline staff you happen to encounter on any particular day. On their good days they're both fine, on their off days they're both pretty awful.

Singapore have a much more reliable product, Emirates I'd say are somewhere in between again depending on the crew you get.

And back to the original question, Emirates do have an amazing entertainment system but it isnt on all their flights between Dubai and Oz - Brisbane for example has the traditional looping choice of TV & movies - still loads of on demand games though. All the UK - Dubai flights have the good system (ICE its called). Not sure if its fixed up now but Qantas initially had a lot of problems with its on demand system....i.e. it being unavailable for entire 12hr flights.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:15 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps thats where Ben Cousins is?????
He heard there was ICE on Emirates flights and is currently enroute to Dubai!!!

Originally Posted by bcworld
And back to the original question, Emirates do have an amazing entertainment system but it isnt on all their flights between Dubai and Oz - Brisbane for example has the traditional looping choice of TV & movies - still loads of on demand games though. All the UK - Dubai flights have the good system (ICE its called). Not sure if its fixed up now but Qantas initially had a lot of problems with its on demand system....i.e. it being unavailable for entire 12hr flights.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Perhaps thats where Ben Cousins is?????
He heard there was ICE on Emirates flights and is currently enroute to Dubai!!!
LOL!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bcworld
LOL!
Singapore n emiraes both great, good entertainment packages.

But to save £600. hummmmmm

Save the money and buy the kids a psp each with games and films cost you bout £100 each for a good package.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.