Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flight Entertainment packages

Flight Entertainment packages

Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Big Ears is on a distinguished road
Default Flight Entertainment packages

Has anyone recently flown with Qantas or BA to Oz via Singapore by 747 and have any information about the inflight entertainment package.

I am looking to book flights to Sydney in April 2008 and will be travelling with my two kids (7 & 4). I expect them to get bored within 20 minutes of take off from Heathrow and I was hoping there would be lots of games and films for them to watch.

I looked on the Qantas site and although it mentions films it only briefly games (only 10) but no other info. BA has no mention of games just films. If I look on Singapore, Emirates Airlines etc they mention in excess of 50 games (Singapore claim 90) plus films, as I've never flown to Oz I'm suprised by the differences in entertainment packages.

Sadly because of price flights BA\Qantas are the cheapest options by someway and Singapore are not currently offering any deals.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Big Ears.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all
Default Re: Flight Entertainment packages

Originally Posted by Big Ears
Has anyone recently flown with Qantas or BA to Oz via Singapore by 747 and have any information about the inflight entertainment package.

I am looking to book flights to Sydney in April 2008 and will be travelling with my two kids (7 & 4). I expect them to get bored within 20 minutes of take off from Heathrow and I was hoping there would be lots of games and films for them to watch.

I looked on the Qantas site and although it mentions films it only briefly games (only 10) but no other info. BA has no mention of games just films. If I look on Singapore, Emirates Airlines etc they mention in excess of 50 games (Singapore claim 90) plus films, as I've never flown to Oz I'm suprised by the differences in entertainment packages.

Sadly because of price flights BA\Qantas are the cheapest options by someway and Singapore are not currently offering any deals.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Big Ears.
Really impressed with Qantas inflight stuff. Loads of films and programs which were all on demand, so did'nt have to wait for them to come round on a loop (like BA!:curse you could stop/strt etc just like on a dvd at home. Good choice of stuff for all ages! Kept my 2 (2 and 4) quite happy on flight to oz. Came back BA, really poor in comparison!
Good Luck
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

ozdreamer will become famous soon enoughozdreamer will become famous soon enough

I've read quite a few replies on here that Singapore are the best to fly with if you have kids.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:06 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

BA are without a doubt absolutely shit:curse:
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
BA are without a doubt absolutely shit:curse:
Absolutely, try and make sure you get Qantas not BA !!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:23 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozdreamer
I've read quite a few replies on here that Singapore are the best to fly with if you have kids.
I have used singapore a few times to oz and even though they are more expensive they are brill and i think well worth the extra cah esp with kids
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info.

I have heard from various people that BA are very poor, especially for those travelling with kids. Always found it surprising considering their previous reputation but I haven't found one person who's got a good word to say about them.

The flight in question is a BA flight operated by Qantas on all legs, not sure exactly how that works but I assume that I will be flying with Qantas not BA. My 7 year old is big into electronic games so need lots of these to keep him amused. Otherwise he will get bored and wind up my 4 year old daughter and then I can see us having to make an emergency landing and the whole family being locked up in a foreign jail.

I have heard that Singapore are the best option but the price difference is quite significant.

Regards,

Big Ears.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:38 pm
FREE TIBET

Thanks for the info.

I have heard from various people that BA are very poor, especially for those travelling with kids. Always found it surprising considering their previous reputation but I haven't found one person who's got a good word to say about them.

The flight in question is a BA flight operated by Qantas on all legs, not sure exactly how that works but I assume that I will be flying with Qantas not BA. My 7 year old is big into electronic games so need lots of these to keep him amused. Otherwise he will get bored and wind up my 4 year old daughter and then I can see us having to make an emergency landing and the whole family being locked up in a foreign jail.

I have heard that Singapore are the best option but the price difference is quite significant.

Regards,

Big Ears.
Yes the price is significant but its a looooonnnnggg way to go with two pissed off kids,but singapore(no i dont work for them)are great with kids,the entertainment thingies are top notch
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

[Yes the price is significant but its a looooonnnnggg way to go with two pissed off kids]

That is very true and is something i've considered. To be honest having never flown that far before I'm probably being a bit nieve and tight. The other issue for the flights i have found is that singapore have longer wait times for connecting flights at singapore whereas qantas is no more than two hours
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

We flew with singapore last year and the entertainment was good as was the flight in general.

We flew with Emirates this year and I have to say it was much better all round. More legroom (definitely noticeable for me with long legs), more video games (around 40) and films e.t.c. the plane was much nicer as well (maybe we were lucky).
Could not see why Singapore is ranked a 5 star airline and Emirates only 4.
We emigrate next year with Emirates through choice although no complaints with Singapore either.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:51 pm
FREE TIBET

[Yes the price is significant but its a looooonnnnggg way to go with two pissed off kids]

That is very true and is something i've considered. To be honest having never flown that far before I'm probably being a bit nieve and tight. The other issue for the flights i have found is that singapore have longer wait times for connecting flights at singapore whereas qantas is no more than two hours
Thats true but i think it depends what time you arrive in singapore,some waiting times are two hours.Good luck with whoever you fly with and have a great time over there.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.
We flew Singapore with no more than 2 hours for connecting flights
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Once again thanks for all the info and advice.

I guess it is purely down to whether I can afford the extra flight costs or not. Price difference for the 4 of us between flying qantas and singapore with equivalent stopover times is approx £600 in total, which seems like a lot of money but i guess considering the distance and time spent travelling it may be a false economy to go for the cheaper option. I was just trying to get a picture on whether the difference in carriers was hugely different.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Once again thanks for all the info and advice.

I guess it is purely down to whether I can afford the extra flight costs or not. Price difference for the 4 of us between flying qantas and singapore with equivalent stopover times is approx £600 in total, which seems like a lot of money but i guess considering the distance and time spent travelling it may be a false economy to go for the cheaper option. I was just trying to get a picture on whether the difference in carriers was hugely different.
Hiya,

Dunno when your flying out but we went through airline network and had bookmarked their cheapest flight which was qantas. I didn't realise however, that they had a 5 hour stop in Bangkok and only found this out when I went to book, and the cheapest flight (£200 extra) had become singapore air.

We are now well chuffed as although a bit extra, we've found out about the above which would have been a total nightmare as we have a 2 year old and 1 year old. Singapore get best reviews plus it's only 2 hours ish between conections!!

£600 is quite a lot, but double check all companies first before you book!!!

Cheers and good luck all
Mandy
Old Oct 31st 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We flew Qantas earlier this year and founf the on flight entertainment very good, loads of films, documentaries, music, etc certainly kept my two children happy. We haven't flown any other long haul flights so can't compare but overall found them OK.
As far as transit stops are concerned we had about 2 hours and next time would look for longer, maybe 4 hours, as it was not enough time to go for showers, have a drink, look at shops - none of which is very exciting but I needed a break from the plane so would have appreciated a bit more time. We managed to get a shower but by the time you're actually off the plane, found the showers, had one and then legged it back to board at least 1/2 hour early again, you're as hot and sticky as when you started

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.