Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flight connection times

Flight connection times

Old Dec 29th 2011, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight connection times

Most times I have done it with an early morning arrival and could have done a 2 hour transfer but have always booked much longer intervals than that. Sometimes I have been lucky enough to have arrived early and been put on an earlier flight through to Canberra but I always book the whole journey on one ticket because then they take responsibility for you if things go pear shaped.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
When I came through on the 23rd they werent too bad.My new passport wont scan so that has to be checked.Customs were on the ball too.Took my marrowfat peas off me that my sister had bought for me.
Normally it's pretty good, but my sister and husband have both had delays in the past month.

Confiscating your peas? Seems a bit strict. I try to ALWAYS bring back (packaged) food as the queue is usually shorter, and never had it confiscated (although a British woman on Customs Duty was very tempted to take my M+S chipsticks....)
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tetley86
Hi, searching for flights to Australia in February and found emirates to be the cheapest for a return ticket but you have to stop at Dubai and wait 10 hours for the connecting flight.

They do a different package that's only a 2 1/2 hour wait but that's over £300 pound more.

Qantas do a flight that stops off at Singapore and that's a 1 hour 20 wait. But to me this seems to be cutting it fine, even if there's a slight delay I'd probably end up missing the connecting flight.

Do you think it's worth just paying the extra for emirates flight because I really don't fancy a 10 hour wait in Dubai or chancing the qantas flight?
If the Qantas flight is all the way through then you will be fine. Your bags will be checked right through to your destination and would have to be located and offloaded if you were not going to be on the connecting flight, so if there was a delay (within reason) they would hold the flight.

However if for whatever reason the delay was too long for the flight to be held, then Qantas would look after you - hotel accommodation, transfers, meal vouchers and usually guarantee you a seat on the next available flight.

Last edited by sassie; Dec 30th 2011 at 4:07 am.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Hi, searching for flights to Australia in February and found emirates to be the cheapest for a return ticket but you have to stop at Dubai and wait 10 hours for the connecting flight.

They do a different package that's only a 2 1/2 hour wait but that's over £300 pound more.

Qantas do a flight that stops off at Singapore and that's a 1 hour 20 wait. But to me this seems to be cutting it fine, even if there's a slight delay I'd probably end up missing the connecting flight.

Do you think it's worth just paying the extra for emirates flight because I really don't fancy a 10 hour wait in Dubai or chancing the qantas flight?
I have flown Emirates Glasgow to Sydney 3 times (the last one being in August 2011) and on each occasion the wait at Dubai was 9 or 10 hours. We were given a complimentary overnight stay in a hotel which was 5 minutes away from the airport. A complimentary bus service takes you out to the hotel and brings you back to the airport in the morning. Breakfast at the hotel was also included. There is no extra cost for this and it's available to all Emirates passengers with a wait time of more than 8 (or 9 - sorry can't remember) hours in Dubai. Having booked my tickets online, I know that this service isn't explicitly advertised but I called the Emirates office in Glasgow to ask about it. Hotel vouchers were then ready for me to collect at the Emirates desk (not the check-in desk) in the airport on the day of the flight. The hotel was very good and it was a relief to get a shower and a few hours sleep prior to the long Dubai to Sydney leg of the journey. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:17 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mazza12
I have flown Emirates Glasgow to Sydney 3 times (the last one being in August 2011) and on each occasion the wait at Dubai was 9 or 10 hours. We were given a complimentary overnight stay in a hotel which was 5 minutes away from the airport. A complimentary bus service takes you out to the hotel and brings you back to the airport in the morning. Breakfast at the hotel was also included. There is no extra cost for this and it's available to all Emirates passengers with a wait time of more than 8 (or 9 - sorry can't remember) hours in Dubai. Having booked my tickets online, I know that this service isn't explicitly advertised but I called the Emirates office in Glasgow to ask about it. Hotel vouchers were then ready for me to collect at the Emirates desk (not the check-in desk) in the airport on the day of the flight. The hotel was very good and it was a relief to get a shower and a few hours sleep prior to the long Dubai to Sydney leg of the journey. Hope this helps.
Technically this is only supposed to be available if there is no short connection available. The OP mentioned there was a more expensive short connection.

It also only applies to specific fare buckets so check that too.

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...stopovers.aspx
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
Technically this is only supposed to be available if there is no short connection available. The OP mentioned there was a more expensive short connection.

It also only applies to specific fare buckets so check that too.

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...stopovers.aspx
Oh ok - thanks. There were obviously no shorter connection options on the Glasgow - Dubai - Sydney flights when I travelled.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

There is a singapore flight (LHR - SIN SIN - PER) with just a 50 minute connection and thats fine. They will hold the plane for you if the delay is not excessive
Old Dec 31st 2011, 3:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seat151
There is a singapore flight (LHR - SIN SIN - PER) with just a 50 minute connection and thats fine. They will hold the plane for you if the delay is not excessive
Going back a couple of years I remember being on a delayed LHR-SIN flight which arrived with the cabin crew asking everyone to stay seated as the Perth flight was being held for 20 people on our flight and please could they be allowed off first to run to Gate X. Its the only time I've been on a flight where people did stay in their seats and not all jump up at once when the seatbelt sign goes off!
Old Dec 31st 2011, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
. Its the only time I've been on a flight where people did stay in their seats and not all jump up at once when the seatbelt sign goes off!
"when the seatbelt sign goes off"!!! I can't remember the last flight I was on when people have stayed in their seats until the seatbelt sign goes off on landing. It would seem that as soon as the aircraft has come to a standstill this is the signal for everyone to get up and start moving about the cabin.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 10:35 am
Just Joined

tetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replys guys, didn't realise qantas would be responsible if they were any delays, think I'll just book with them. Cheers
Old Dec 31st 2011, 1:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
"when the seatbelt sign goes off"!!! I can't remember the last flight I was on when people have stayed in their seats until the seatbelt sign goes off on landing. It would seem that as soon as the aircraft has come to a standstill this is the signal for everyone to get up and start moving about the cabin.
Since the Qantas A380 incident they have certainly got hot on it and on my last international flight one crew member even walked up the aisle and stood eyeballing a passenger until he sat down again! Always happens though, I just sit there longing from a BUMP that chucks them all of balance, not a serious one, just enough to make the point.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Also just be mindful that depending on what flight you might book with Qantas, the flight from LHR to Singapore will probably be operated by a British Airways aircraft as BA and Qantas now code share the route from London to Sydney. BA will fly down to Singapore and then Qantas to Sydney.

Last edited by sassie; Dec 31st 2011 at 7:47 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

tetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the rough

Also just be mindful that depending on what flight you might book with Qantas, the flight from LHR to Singapore will probably be operated by a British Airways aircraft as BA and Qantas now code share the route from London to Sydney. BA will fly down to Singapore and then Qantas to Sydney.
Yeah I noticed, when booking it tells you flight numbers and who operates the flights and I've went with a package that's all qantas.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 10:31 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Qantas is keeping its LHR - SIN routes though, it's pulling out of LHR - BKK and LHR - HKG soon so those will definitely be BA operated.