Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flight connection times

Flight connection times

Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

tetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the rough
Default Flight connection times

Hi, searching for flights to Australia in February and found emirates to be the cheapest for a return ticket but you have to stop at Dubai and wait 10 hours for the connecting flight.

They do a different package that's only a 2 1/2 hour wait but that's over £300 pound more.

Qantas do a flight that stops off at Singapore and that's a 1 hour 20 wait. But to me this seems to be cutting it fine, even if there's a slight delay I'd probably end up missing the connecting flight.

Do you think it's worth just paying the extra for emirates flight because I really don't fancy a 10 hour wait in Dubai or chancing the qantas flight?
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight connection times

We always take that QANTAS flight and have never missed the connection in Singapore. On the odd occasions the inbound flight from London has been late, they hold the plane. Changi Airport in amazing and they run a very tight operation - you will be fine.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

tetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah I was thinking they wouldn't advertise them times if there was a good chance you'd miss the connecting flight. I guess I'm just a bit worried in case the worst happens.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:40 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tetley86
Yeah I was thinking they wouldn't advertise them times if there was a good chance you'd miss the connecting flight. I guess I'm just a bit worried in case the worst happens.
There is NO risk in taking the connecting flight. If you miss the connection because the inbound flight is late Qantas will look after you...they are obliged to.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tetley86
Often when arriving in Singapore on Qantas they give out all the gate numbers for connecting flights, and its not unknown for them to say they are holding the connections for people to join them. So many people transfer there that you'll be fine.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I`m sure you will be fine with the 1hr 20 min connection. But a cautionary note to others. We travelled with Etihad last June. Not a good flight to UK due to delays( Not anyones fault), Cases arrived 3 days late with bullshit from baggage departments inbetween. But return trip landed in Sydney for connection flight to Brisbane. they gave us about two hours to catch the next flight. But this was the entrance flight to Australia, So cases had to be collected and we had to go through immigration along with 100`s of other people. Therefore missing our connecting flight with Virgin Blue. So someone had not done the math. We just presumed we were safe in the hands of the Airline. Transferred to the domestic terminal we were told the next flight was a few hours later and it would incur an extra charge. NO it would not we told them and if it did go talk to Etihad. They waved us through. So do double check, We will in future and we may not go for the cheaper option sometimes.
PS. When the cases arrived in the UK every case was damaged, Handles ripped off,Side split,Feet ripped off. we repaired two with donor parts from one which had a dodgy zip(not their fault). We received 400 pound for the clothes we had to buy in the UK. But damage was not their responsibility which I found unbelievable. Etihad have been in touch full of apologies, Telling us they contacted Brisbane airport and baggage handling. No one has been in touch since.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:43 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
I`m sure you will be fine with the 1hr 20 min connection. But a cautionary note to others. We travelled with Etihad last June. Not a good flight to UK due to delays( Not anyones fault), Cases arrived 3 days late with bullshit from baggage departments inbetween. But return trip landed in Sydney for connection flight to Brisbane. they gave us about two hours to catch the next flight. But this was the entrance flight to Australia, So cases had to be collected and we had to go through immigration along with 100`s of other people. Therefore missing our connecting flight with Virgin Blue. So someone had not done the math. We just presumed we were safe in the hands of the Airline. Transferred to the domestic terminal we were told the next flight was a few hours later and it would incur an extra charge. NO it would not we told them and if it did go talk to Etihad. They waved us through. So do double check, We will in future and we may not go for the cheaper option sometimes.
PS. When the cases arrived in the UK every case was damaged, Handles ripped off,Side split,Feet ripped off. we repaired two with donor parts from one which had a dodgy zip(not their fault). We received 400 pound for the clothes we had to buy in the UK. But damage was not their responsibility which I found unbelievable. Etihad have been in touch full of apologies, Telling us they contacted Brisbane airport and baggage handling. No one has been in touch since.
It's not really a maths problem. There are published legal minimum connection times between flights / terminals at all airports...airlines won't generally sell an illegal connection. 2 hours is definitely legal at SYD for International - Domestic.

This only applies if all flights are booked on the same ticket which I assume yours were...in that case, no you would not have to pay for any changes on to a later flight in the event of unavoidable delays.

However if you booked your own connections e.g. SYD-BNE seperately then you are liable to stump up to change your flights.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's not really a maths problem. There are published legal minimum connection times between flights / terminals at all airports...airlines won't generally sell an illegal connection. 2 hours is definitely legal at SYD for International - Domestic.
Sorry to go off topic, but OMG I arrived in Sydney this morning at 8am and I have never seen an immigration queue quite like it. Not anywhere. Ever. Not even in the US. The entire immigration hall was full and then the queue left the hall and people were queuing down the corridors as well, we hit the queue as soon as we got off the flight. I am sure it would have taken well over 2 hours to get through it. Thank goodness for my express lane pass!
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Sorry to go off topic, but OMG I arrived in Sydney this morning at 8am and I have never seen an immigration queue quite like it. Not anywhere. Ever. Not even in the US. The entire immigration hall was full and then the queue left the hall and people were queuing down the corridors as well, we hit the queue as soon as we got off the flight. I am sure it would have taken well over 2 hours to get through it. Thank goodness for my express lane pass!
Haven't experienced it myself but I think this is quite normal for SYD. The 2 hours is still legal, but only applies to single tickets where the airline will look after your arrangements...not advisable to book your own 2 hour connection on seperate tix! I have done it though and managed Int - Dom in 45 mins including the bus transfer.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Haven't experienced it myself but I think this is quite normal for SYD. The 2 hours is still legal, but only applies to single tickets where the airline will look after your arrangements...not advisable to book your own 2 hour connection on seperate tix! I have done it though and managed Int - Dom in 45 mins including the bus transfer.
No definitely would not do it on separate tickets. When we have flown here from the UK, we have used a flight that arrived in the evening and it was not so bad that time of day.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Sydney immigration is horrible. Brisbane has its moments if several flights all come in at once but Sydney always seems dreadful. I've done a 3 hour connection there twice, once for Bris and once for Hobart and was pushing it both times to make the flights - and they were advertised airline connections. First time I came through Sydney was an advertised 2 hour connection to Brisbane which I missed by miles, but Qantas took the blame as they'd sold the ticket and put me on the next flight. I hate the place, rather come through Melbourne if I can't travel direct.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sydney immigration is horrible. Brisbane has its moments if several flights all come in at once but Sydney always seems dreadful. I've done a 3 hour connection there twice, once for Bris and once for Hobart and was pushing it both times to make the flights - and they were advertised airline connections. First time I came through Sydney was an advertised 2 hour connection to Brisbane which I missed by miles, but Qantas took the blame as they'd sold the ticket and put me on the next flight. I hate the place, rather come through Melbourne if I can't travel direct.
Actually Melbourne immigration / customs has been chaotic on some of the recent times I've come through there, a real mess...but at least there is no bus transfer to domestic.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Even li'l old Perth has been slow lately. We wondered if they were on an unofficial go-slow.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Even li'l old Perth has been slow lately. We wondered if they were on an unofficial go-slow.
There have been a few strikes by customs / immigration staff recently...they walk off for an hour or so but there is a knock on effect.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
When I came through on the 23rd they werent too bad.My new passport wont scan so that has to be checked.Customs were on the ball too.Took my marrowfat peas off me that my sister had bought for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.