flies

Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: flies

The worst ever fly problem for me was in Shropshire in 2006. Everyone had fly strips in the kitchen. I've not had much problem here in Queensland so far, although I've only been here a month. When you do get the odd one though, they stick rather than buzz. Very annoying!

In 2001/2 I was in Central Coast NSW and didn't have a problem.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, they only last a few weeks here in WA

I saw a report on the news, they want to release a load of dung beetles, different species to the native ones, to help keep fly numbers down.... hasnt the cane toad saga taught them nothing?!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Make gardening here an absolute chore. Pushing a lawn mower has never been one of my favourite things but doing it in 35 degrees with a swarm of flies trying to enter your ears is hellish!

Andy
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I got my OH to bring home some ear plugs from work, I wear them in the garden as I cant stand that horrible buzzing noise in my ear...
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
I got my OH to bring home some ear plugs from work, I wear them in the garden as I cant stand that horrible buzzing noise in my ear...
I swallowed one whilst walking the dog last week. Not nice!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

The fly suits are really good. You can get them at Bunnings for $19.95. Everyone wears them around here especially at the beach.
They may look a little strange but they do save the annoyance of the flies buzzing around your head.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:47 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by reggiekatie
hi is it true about all the flies in the summer? which is the best and which is the worst state to live in or are there flies everywhere?
The problem for me is that they seem to come right at ya, smack in your face and ears.
They are a problem, i just try not go out much.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

Seriously, if I'd have know what a PITA the flies over here are, I wouldn't have moved here. I'm not going to leave just because of them, but they're a sure fire way of putting me in a filthy mood. I hate the ******* things.

Also, just when you think you're getting used to them...you then get hit by a bunch of March flies, that's when the fun really starts.:curse:

They never put the flies on the nice glossy adverts for Australia!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:51 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reggiekatie
hi is it true about all the flies in the summer? which is the best and which is the worst state to live in or are there flies everywhere?
Yes it's true, The worst states for flies are: NSW, QLD, ACT, VIC, NT oh and WA. Hope that helps.

Seriously a netted hat and then nuke yourself with repelent. Failing that stay in doors with all the doors and windows shut.

I should add I have a worse pest here apart from the mozzies, and thats flying ants, luckilly it's only a few days a year but they seem to hit you
with a thud and cling.

Last edited by arkon; Nov 13th 2007 at 11:53 am.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:54 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
They never put the flies on the nice glossy adverts for Australia!
No, nor the blow flies that don't lay eggs but spray thier live young (maggots) all over you.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Yes it's true, The worst states for flies are: NSW, QLD, ACT, VIC, NT oh and WA. Hope that helps.
You forgot SA and TAS
Old Nov 13th 2007, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Also, just when you think you're getting used to them...you then get hit by a bunch of March flies, that's when the fun really starts.:curse:
March (marsh?) flies are evil. I've got a small scar on my arm from an op I had a while back, must be a weak spot. Totally unaware at the time but ended up with about six bites in an area the size of a five cent piece, arm went up like a balloon.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

Arkon, I think someone's been pulling your leg re: blowflies spraying live young.

March flies are buggers, they chase you....it's like being chased by a flying midget with a power drill!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I never knew cockroaches could fly i hate the b**tards.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Make gardening here an absolute chore. Pushing a lawn mower has never been one of my favourite things but doing it in 35 degrees with a swarm of flies trying to enter your ears is hellish!

Andy

Its not quite 35 degrees here today but I've just given up trying to mow my grass cos of the pesky buggers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.