Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fitzroy - Melbourne, living and working

Fitzroy - Melbourne, living and working

Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:24 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fitzroy - Melbourne, living and working

Hello!

We have so focused on going to Adelaide to live, but there may be a strong possibility to work in Fitzroy in Melbourne which has thrown a spanner in the works!

We really don't know much about the area, apart from it being quite a fun place. Any suggestions as to where would be the best places to live in that area. A family home!

Thanks guys,
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

baghdadi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fitzroy - Melbourne, living and working

Being within Fitzroy is quite good cause you will find every thing near by, few tram stop to CBD. Reasonable accommodation rates.

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
Hello!

We have so focused on going to Adelaide to live, but there may be a strong possibility to work in Fitzroy in Melbourne which has thrown a spanner in the works!

We really don't know much about the area, apart from it being quite a fun place. Any suggestions as to where would be the best places to live in that area. A family home!

Thanks guys,
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

Thanks guys,
I think you will find Melbourne a more interesting place than Adelaide and Fitzroy is a good place with lots of bars and places to eat etc. Quite vibrant.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Hello!

Thanks guys,
I'm from Adelaide - and its a great place to raise a family...however...your kids are all going to want to leave Adelaide the minute they hit uni. My siblings have all left, and never been back. Its a wonderful place, but when you compare Sydney and Melbourne, you are comparing job markets that are 3 and 4 times larger than Adelaide. Adelaide is a town based on some manufacturing, vineyards, services industries and not much else.

Melbourne and particularly Fitzroy, is a great place to live and is ethnically very diverse. You will find many other industries represented in Melbourne, including law, finance, engineering among others. For a family house, look a few suburbs north of Fitzroy (which filled with 2 bedroom terraces) to suburbs like Brunswick (5minutes), Moonee Ponds(10 minutes), Pascoe Vale(10 minutes) etc
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by spart
I'm from Adelaide - and its a great place to raise a family...however...your kids are all going to want to leave Adelaide the minute they hit uni. My siblings have all left, and never been back. Its a wonderful place, but when you compare Sydney and Melbourne, you are comparing job markets that are 3 and 4 times larger than Adelaide. Adelaide is a town based on some manufacturing, vineyards, services industries and not much else.

Melbourne and particularly Fitzroy, is a great place to live and is ethnically very diverse. You will find many other industries represented in Melbourne, including law, finance, engineering among others. For a family house, look a few suburbs north of Fitzroy (which filled with 2 bedroom terraces) to suburbs like Brunswick (5minutes), Moonee Ponds(10 minutes), Pascoe Vale(10 minutes) etc
I agree, I live in North Melbourne (just west of Fitzroy) with my family - but a 3 bed house is very expensive to rent and we have no garden. The suburbs mentioned would get you a bigger house and garden. However, secondary schooling is an issue that will affect your choice if you have kids of that age.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
Melbourne and particularly Fitzroy, is a great place to live and is ethnically very diverse.
That's estate agent speak for "rough as f**K".
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Nah, that's Sunshine. Fitzroy's pretty good.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
i thought that was "vibrant"
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I love the agentspeak of 'rustic'

Applied to shacks where you have to be careful not to slam a door as the whole building may collapse.