Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HOUSE RENTAL IN OZ - HOW MUCH ?

HOUSE RENTAL IN OZ - HOW MUCH ?

Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough
Default HOUSE RENTAL IN OZ - HOW MUCH ?

Hi expats in Oz, hope you can help me. My wife and I are in the early stages of our move to Oz, and putting together our numbers. We are going to rent a house for 6 to 12 months first when we move across, before considering buying.

We are struggling to research house rental costs on the internet. Does anyone have good internet sites for house rental ? Or more importantly does anyone have a view on house rental costs per week for a 4 bedroom detached (any location would do, as we have not even decided on our location, as the costs will be a primary factor) ?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:25 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: HOUSE RENTAL IN OZ - HOW MUCH ?

Some of the 'cheaper' suburbs in Australia for Rental properties
Average weekly rentals quoted at Dec 2008
Brisbane:
House $203 pw Russel Island

Sydney:
House $200 pw Carramar

Canberra:
House $350 pw Holder

Melbourne:
House $185 pw Millgrove

Adelaide:
House $195 pw Elizabeth

Perth:
House $240 pw Hillman

Darwin:
House $350 pw Moulden

But median rents for Brisbane area in Dec 2008:
4 Bedroom Houses
$420 Brisbane
$450 Bayside
$560 City Inner
$560 North - Inner
$400 North - Outer
$580 North West - Inner
$450 North West - Outer
$430 South - Inner
$400 South - Outer
$545 South East - Inner
$450 South East - Outer
$500 South West - Inner
$400 South West - Outer

Some High priced areas in Brisbane:
$750 New Farm/Teneriffe
$625 Ballymore/Ithaca/Kelvin Grove/Red Hill
$500 The Gap
$750 Balmoral/Bulimba/Hawthorne
$530 Seventeen Mile Rocks/Sinnamon Park

Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:30 am
Just Joined

KMA in OZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Try out www.realestate.com.au
We used this prior to moving and when we got out here. It's a national site so you can search all states/territories.
For us while cost was important we have ended up paying more for less because we are in the location we want - 10 mins 'over the hill' and we could have had more for less.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough

Thank you so much for this very helpful and informative reply

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Brisbane:

Sydney:
House $200 pw Carramar

Canberra:
House $350 pw Holder

Melbourne:
House $185 pw Millgrove

Adelaide:
House $195 pw Elizabeth

Perth:
House $240 pw Hillman

Darwin:
House $350 pw Moulden

But median rents for Brisbane area in Dec 2008:
4 Bedroom Houses
$420 Brisbane
$450 Bayside
$560 City Inner
$560 North - Inner
$400 North - Outer
$580 North West - Inner
$450 North West - Outer
$430 South - Inner
$400 South - Outer
$545 South East - Inner
$450 South East - Outer
$500 South West - Inner
$400 South West - Outer

Some High priced areas in Brisbane:
$750 New Farm/Teneriffe
$625 Ballymore/Ithaca/Kelvin Grove/Red Hill
$500 The Gap
$750 Balmoral/Bulimba/Hawthorne
$530 Seventeen Mile Rocks/Sinnamon Park
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

if you look on the website www.realestate.com.au you can do a search on rentals in various areas and most include pics so you can see what you getting for your money. good luck
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:02 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

www.reiwa.com.au
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:45 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanEll
Hi expats in Oz, hope you can help me. My wife and I are in the early stages of our move to Oz, and putting together our numbers. We are going to rent a house for 6 to 12 months first when we move across, before considering buying.

We are struggling to research house rental costs on the internet. Does anyone have good internet sites for house rental ? Or more importantly does anyone have a view on house rental costs per week for a 4 bedroom detached (any location would do, as we have not even decided on our location, as the costs will be a primary factor) ?
As everyone has said www.reiwa.com has all the answers for WA.
Expect to pay $500 + per week for something decent in Perth in a good sub near the beach, though there are some cheaper options out there I'm sure.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Brisbane:

Sydney:
House $200 pw Carramar

Canberra:
House $350 pw Holder

Melbourne:
House $185 pw Millgrove

Adelaide:
House $195 pw Elizabeth

Perth:
House $240 pw Hillman

Darwin:
House $350 pw Moulden

While I understand that you're pointing out the lower prices it's worth looking at whether you would really want to live in those areas.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We used realestate and domain to keep an eye on rental prices before we came but once we arrived we realised just how creative real estate photography is here! We had what we thought was a decent budget but you still wouldn't put a dog in some of the houses we looked at so ended up paying more. Sydney housing can be very expensive, depending on where you want to live. Also work location and transport can narrow your options somewhat (though obviously if you are prepared to commute longer you can get your rent down). A nice rental upper North Shore between the trainline and the beaches will easily cost $800-1000 a week for a four bed. And yes, of course there are cheaper areas to live but personally I didn't see any point in making the move unless we were going to improve our quality of life.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Dorothy
While I understand that you're pointing out the lower prices it's worth looking at whether you would really want to live in those areas.
I think I needed an exclamation mark, or something, after "cheaper", to emphasise that.

It's too easy to assume that everyone knows what is actually being intended ...

They are the cheapest for a 'reason'. And for further clarification, the Brisbane 'cheapest' is about half the Brisbane median, (when compared to the other figures), so people may assume that double the cheapest in each general area 'may' give a close to median price.