Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fitting in - Melbourne Style

Fitting in - Melbourne Style

Old Feb 8th 2004, 9:34 am
Badge

I suppose it means there is always something to play for! also,well I suppose a 2nd or 3rd div team can upset a premiership side in the FA cup..?

who's the bloke in your avatar Mr BP? who does he play for?

BM

Old Feb 8th 2004, 8:40 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
I suppose it means there is always something to play for! also,well I suppose a 2nd or 3rd div team can upset a premiership side in the FA cup..?

who's the bloke in your avatar Mr BP? who does he play for?

BM
It is Ian Dowie who is the new Crystal Palace manager. He has performed miracles in the last couple of months.

I think the Aussie leagues could benefit from is having a dual league/cup competition. The league proves who is best over the whole season whilst the cup provides the excitement and gives lesser teams the chance to mix it with the big boys.

It would also lead to some more games in the country.

The FA Cup upsets are fantastic and gives every fan a bit of hope and adds to the competition.

Are you going to watch the Melbourne Storm?
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Bondipom, that's true about awarding mediocrity with eight places in the finals. But I think people have come to accept it now. The finals system with 6 teams was a farce and they obviously think five is too few in a 16 team league. But a final eight keep things interesting for more teams later in the season.

As for having a cup etc, although it's a good idea I wouldn't really be feasible in the AFL. Outside the top league, all there is are the state leagues (VFL, SANFL, WAFL) which are pretty much feeder leagues to the AFL clubs. Australia doesn't ahve the population to support three leagues and 88 professional clubs like the UK does. Also, all of the Melbourne based clubs have an affiliated VFL club who are effectively their reserves whilst the Perth and Adelailde teams use their respective leagues as their reserves. So playing a lower divion team in a cup would be like Newcastle first team vs Liverpool reserves.

Also, Aussie rules football is just about the most physically demanded team sport in the world so more games during the season wouldn't happen. Whereas European football teams play twice a week as well as having their players appearing in internationals regularly, the AFL have a rule where teams aren't scheduled to play within 6 days of their previous match. i.e. a team won't play on a Friday if their match in the previous round was on a Sunday. It isn't physically possible to have midweek matches at that level. Some clubs even suggest a 22 game season is too long as it puts too much strain on the players.

Also, Aussies haven't grown up with cup competitions like the British. What makes the FA Cup special is it's history and all the history in the AFL revolves around the AFL Premiership. As the Premiership is the only thing you can win, it makes it even more important. A cup competition would be considered a consolation prize. The Australian attitude is that if you're not the best, you don't deserve to win anything.

A cup would be a good idea but I can't see it happening.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Loose, I think if you're going to be in Perth you're best to choose one of the WA teams. Otherwise you'll only see your team play once or twice a year and you'll be surrounded by 40,000 opposition fans. I would suggest West Coast becuase they have some history (albeit only 16 years) and you won't have to wear purple in public.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:18 am
Badge

nicely argued, Jez.

My team will be Hawks as I am in VIC. (Unless mates can persuade me otherwise, which could only come about by a bit of social).

My "heart" tells me my NRL team is South Sydney. I have an admiration for the Roosters.

But I am going to take an interest in the Storm as they are local. A friend of friends plays for them. (I can of course watch Souths play their away games).

BM

Old Feb 9th 2004, 8:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
nicely argued, Jez.

My team will be Hawks as I am in VIC. (Unless mates can persuade me otherwise, which could only come about by a bit of social).

My "heart" tells me my NRL team is South Sydney. I have an admiration for the Roosters.

But I am going to take an interest in the Storm as they are local. A friend of friends plays for them. (I can of course watch Souths play their away games).

BM
Souths have been shafted by the powers in the game. Despite Manly being the Man U of League it is good seeing them go back to their roots at Manly. Same with St George playing games at Kogorah. Finally the game is realising it is about generating local support as well as viewing figures.