Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fitting in - Melbourne Style

Fitting in - Melbourne Style

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
I did exactly as you suggest LK and got myself an AFL team when I got to Melbourne. Actually, choice of team was pre-determined by my Aussie brother in law who insisted that I would follow Carlton. What I didn't realise at the time was that they were holding up the rest of the league. I was the ridicule of my work mates who surely must have thought "stupid pom, picks the worst team in the league"!!

Still, even tho it's a daft game , you can't beat a Friday night at the MCG with your friends (even tho most were Essendon fans).
HP

So imagine what is what like being a Bulldogs supporter last year as we had a turn in propping up the league ladder. Friday night games at the 'G' are special. I saw the tied game between the Bulldogs and Bombers at Telstra Dome a couple of years ago and it was special - Matthew Lloyd had a chance to win it after the siren but kicked a point to tie the scores. I also saw 'Libba's' last game (Tony Liberatore) which was special.

OzTennis
Old Feb 4th 2004, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Being from Melbourne myself it's great to hear people talking about footy.

If you want to get almost everyone you meet offside when you first meet them, choose Collingwood as your team. Historically they are one of the most successful teams in history but have only won one premiership in 45 years. In that time they have also lost 10 grand finals (as well as the last two) making them the subject of much ridicule. But it's not so much the team itself that Melburnians hate, it's the supporters. Despite their constant failures and poor run throughout the 90's, they remained extremely arrogant and thick. If you think Aussies in general are parochial you haven't seen this lot. They also don't support the Victorian denstistry industry.

Also, Carlton is one of many despised teams but due to their terrible form over the last two years, people tend to laugh at them more than anything else.

Essendon (my team) is the other of the 'big three' and arch rivals with the other two. Although consistently successful, the fans are perceived to be quite arrogant.

Richmond are probably the next biggest club but as an earlier post stated, their fans are fair weather supporters. Also continuously unsuccessful.

Hawthorn have had a resurgence in the last 6-7 years after their glory days of the 80's and decline in the 90's. Very much known as a family club.

St. Kilda are the team everyone feels sorry for. If you don't really take an interest in the sport, it might be the team for you. No one hates them, and they seem to be everybody's second favourite team.

North Melbourne Kangaroos were never a big club and have only been successful in the late 70's and late 90's. Never had much money.

Geelong are the laughing stock of the league. The handbags team of the competition.

Melbourne are the prawn sandwich team.

Finally the Western Bulldogs (Footscray) are the Wolves of the AFL. From a nasty dull area and never been very successful. Pride themselves on performing when their backs are to the wall but never perform when it matters. If you support this lot you might as well buy a pair of moccasins to go with your club scarf.

As far as the interstate teams go, Adelaide and Port Adelaide are despised for being from South Australia, West Coast were hated after they took the premiership out of Victoria for the first time in 92 and 94 but haven't done much since. No one cares about Fremantle. Sydney used to be South Melbourne so no one realy hates them and the Brisbane Lions were everyone's second team until they won 3 flags on the trot with salary cap concessions. But the fact they beat Collingwood in two of those Grand Finals softened the blow for most Victorians.

Supporting a footy team is essential to settling into Victoria. My old man is English and was forced to take an interest as at all family reunions (including Christmas in the off season), all anyone talked about was the footy.

I hope that guide is helpful in addition to others in this thread.

Go Bombers!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the crash course.

The ManU analogy utterly ruled out Collingwood.

And for these reasons (as a Liverpool fan, it kind of reminded me of Liverpool FC)...
....Were absolutely the most dominant team of the 80's and early 90's....
and
....my opinion is that HFC have the most heart of any club...
and
....Very much known as a family club...
....it looks like it's gonna be.....

....HAWTHORN
Old Feb 4th 2004, 5:07 pm
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough

We're looking to settle in Melbourne if all goes well (touch wood), and I'll definitely be going to the footy. I've already got a team -Essendon which stems from Channel 4's coverage in the mid-eighties and more recently on SKY. Also wnt to see them play (badly) against Richmond at The Oval in London, the other year. Also, as a big Rugby League fan, how are Melbourne Storm and the game in general perceived by the locals?
Old Feb 4th 2004, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jezdavies

If you want to get almost everyone you meet offside when you first meet them, choose Collingwood as your team. Historically they are one of the most successful teams in history but have only won one premiership in 45 years. In that time they have also lost 10 grand finals (as well as the last two) making them the subject of much ridicule. But it's not so much the team itself that Melburnians hate, it's the supporters. Despite their constant failures and poor run throughout the 90's, they remained extremely arrogant and thick. If you think Aussies in general are parochial you haven't seen this lot. They also don't support the Victorian denstistry industry.

Also, Carlton is one of many despised teams but due to their terrible form over the last two years, people tend to laugh at them more than anything else.

Essendon (my team) is the other of the 'big three' and arch rivals with the other two. Although consistently successful, the fans are perceived to be quite arrogant.

Richmond are probably the next biggest club but as an earlier post stated, their fans are fair weather supporters. Also continuously unsuccessful.

Hawthorn have had a resurgence in the last 6-7 years after their glory days of the 80's and decline in the 90's. Very much known as a family club.

St. Kilda are the team everyone feels sorry for. If you don't really take an interest in the sport, it might be the team for you. No one hates them, and they seem to be everybody's second favourite team.

North Melbourne Kangaroos were never a big club and have only been successful in the late 70's and late 90's. Never had much money.

Geelong are the laughing stock of the league. The handbags team of the competition.

Finally the Western Bulldogs (Footscray) are the Wolves of the AFL. From a nasty dull area and never been very successful. Pride themselves on performing when their backs are to the wall but never perform when it matters. If you support this lot you might as well buy a pair of moccasins to go with your club scarf.

As far as the interstate teams go, Adelaide and Port Adelaide are despised for being from South Australia, West Coast were hated after they took the premiership out of Victoria for the first time in 92 and 94 but haven't done much since. No one cares about Fremantle. Sydney used to be South Melbourne so no one realy hates them and the Brisbane Lions were everyone's second team until they won 3 flags on the trot with salary cap concessions. But the fact they beat Collingwood in two of those Grand Finals softened the blow for most Victorians.

Supporting a footy team is essential to settling into Victoria. My old man is English and was forced to take an interest as at all family reunions (including Christmas in the off season), all anyone talked about was the footy.

Go Bombers!
Go Bombers my ****!

Altho I hope you stuck with red when picking yourself a team in Liverpool????

My husband was pained to have to follow Carlton - being an Anfield season ticket holder, following a BLUE team was torture for him!!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Hiddenpaw, I stuck with the Red side of Merseyside when I came here. I'm originally a Blackpool fan (don't ask) so I had to support a Premiership team. I feel sorry for your husband having to support Carlton. Not because they wear blue, just that he has to sit with other Blues fans at the games. Poor thing.

Young_lad, if you're looking for a team with heart, Hawthorn probably isn't the one. No one really hates them which is strange seeing they had been so dominant for so long. But their supporters are known to enjoy winning yet don't pay a lot of attention when they're losing. That being said though, they are a very optimistic bunch and are always positive about the future. They're also known for having a large following among the younger female population due to the pin-up boy looks of many of their players. But no one hates Hawthorn so you won't get much of a hard time about supporting them.

As far as choosing Essendon as a team Carl B, you've made a wise choice. Although I'm obviously biased, you're supporting one of the few teams that is always in contention. And they draw big crowds. Their home ground is the Telstra Dome but when they play one of the bigger teams they'll play at the MCG. I've been to regular season games with crowds of 95,000, 91,000, 88, 000 and countless games above 75-80,000. Always a great buzz. The annual Anzac day match against Collingwood is not to be missed.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:30 am
Badge

Originally posted by Carl B
We're looking to settle in Melbourne if all goes well (touch wood), and I'll definitely be going to the footy. I've already got a team -Essendon which stems from Channel 4's coverage in the mid-eighties and more recently on SKY. Also wnt to see them play (badly) against Richmond at The Oval in London, the other year. Also, as a big Rugby League fan, how are Melbourne Storm and the game in general perceived by the locals?
The Storm play in the NRL comp and probably attracts all the NSW and QLD expats. I will be bying a season ticket and going to many home games.

Not sure where they play - Vodaphone stadium?

BM

Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
The Storm play in the NRL comp and probably attracts all the NSW and QLD expats. I will be bying a season ticket and going to many home games.

Not sure where they play - Vodaphone stadium?

BM
Badge

Vodaphone Arena is the second sliding roof stadium at Melbourne Park and is used for the Australian Open tennis for 2 weeks and a concert etc venue the rest of the time - just like Rod Laver arena, the original sliding roof stadium.

Melbourne Storm offices are literally across the road (Swan Street) from Vodaphone Arena as is their home ground Olympic Park and they train a hundred yards down the road. They have experimented with bigger stadia, MCG and Telstra Dome but have gone back to Olympic Park their original ground. http://www.melbournepark.com.au covers both Melbourne Park and Olympic Park which are council owned and run venues.

OzTennis
Old Feb 5th 2004, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

You're right about the Storm attracting expat NSW and Queenslanders. You also see a lot of Fijians, Pacific Islanders and Kiwis at their games. However the sport is largely ignored by the locals and the NRL have more or less acknowledged it's not worth trying to compete with the AFL. They do see it as necessary to at least have a presence there for the game to grow outside of NSW and Qld. The Storm do have a core following in some of the outer working class suburbs of Melbourne so not everyone ignores it. And they still draw 10-12,000 people to most of their home games which isn't bad by NRL standards.

As for playing at other stadiums, they played once at the MCG in a bid to promote the sport in Melbourne on the back of the 1999 Premiership win, but it poured with rain so few people turned up. They spent a season at the Telstra Dome but it wasn't financially viable and the Storm fans demanded a return to Olympic Park.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 10:22 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Hi -I'm looking for a team to follow in the Aussie rules when I get there. Felt sorry for the Dockers and was gonna follow them cos everyone ignores 'em, but they play in PURPLE. Not a sport colour so they're out of it. Perth connections mean a leaning towards the eagles, (is it the west coast eagles?).

However, team colours mean a lot to me, and as a Bradford City fan in England we have the weirdest kit of all - Claret and Amber stripes!!! Any team in Oz wear colours anywhere near this????

Old Feb 5th 2004, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by jezdavies

Go Bombers!
You can tell he's a Bomber supporter, as he said, arrogant typifies them.

I'll just beg to differ on a few things. In my view Essendon are in a sense the Man Utd of the league. They had a lot of success in the 1990's and a lot of people, particularly the young, jumped on the bandwagon (James Hird, Matthew Lloyd etc appealing, particularly to the girls) - nothing wrong in that but quite a few of them proved fair weather sailors in 1993 when they had to offload a lot of players due to salary cap restrictions and struggled compared to previous years.

Obviously I don't agree with your comments on the Bulldogs - as for someone from Liverpool saying what a nasty, dull area it is!! The Wolves of the AFL?? Wolves have only been in the top flight once in yonks so I don't get the analogy. The Bulldogs have been in the finals more than not over the last 10 years - I fear Wolves will have one year in the top flight and then return from whence they came.

The Bulldogs had a bad last few years because of the stupid policy of the previous coach to get rid of a lot of 'talls' and concentrate on 'smalls and quicks'. They'll be back because they now have the tallest squad in the AFL on average for this season. The Bulldogs, like the Saints and Kangaroos have suffered partly because of the concessions given to the interstate clubs and also because they don't have the strong supporter base of the other Melbourne clubs. They are b****y loyal supporters though and have saved the club from extinction more than once when the 'prawn sandwich' administrators wanted to bring in another interstate team in their place, wouldn't let them use their 'home' ground etc.

OzTennis
Old Feb 5th 2004, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

You're probably right about the Man United - Essendon comparison. Especially after Essendon's 2000 season where they won all but one game (you don't need to remind me who broke the winning run Did you know the two clubs have signed a marketing agreement in January?

Essendon did get a lot on that bandwagon of 93 I have to admit. But even when they went badly they still drew big crowds. In 1997 where they finished 14th they averaged 60,000 to their MCG games. So although they still have fair weathered fans like all other clubs, there's so many Dons supporters that they'll always draw big crowds.

The Doggies do have very loyal supporters as do the Roos who would sell their children if it meant the survival of the club. I meant the Wolves comparison as saying they're an unfashionable club, not performance wise. I should have made that clearer I suppose. I'm very much a typical Essendon supporter who wouldn't be against smaller clubs like the Dogs and Roos merging if it meant a stronger competition. But I don't really like those clubs anyway. But I was very much saddened to see Fitzroy go so I'm not as hearltess as you might think.

Actually, I think the current W Bulldogs CEO is very good for the club (not sure if he's gone). Smorgan I think his name was. Picked them up from the doldrums of 96 and gave the club a positive outlook.

But to be fair, I'm in a nice area of Liverpool. I still have 3 hubcaps on my car! (Don't mean to offend any Scousers but most Liverpudlians can laugh at themselves and the stereotypes)

As for the question from Loose about a team wearing claret, the Brisbane Lions where maroon, gold and blue. Still a strong link to the old Fitzroy so they have a lot of fans in Melbourne. But supporting them will lead to accusations that you've jumped on the bandwagon as they've won the last 3 flags.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:25 am
Re mem mem member

I like this - I'm really gonna miss the football so its good to read some history and opinions on the AFL. Think I'll really be able to get my teeth into it!

Thanks for the nod on the Lions, Like the ideare kit, but must admit it will be a culture shock following a succesful team.

What about the Eagles and Dockers? Whats the history and background there? Aren't the Dockers a new team?

Sorry to bug you but its important to make sure you follow the right team. Cant be changing once I've picked one!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Loose, I could talk about the AFL til the cows came home so you're not bugging me at all! Since I've been in England I've missed it more than anything. Being in Liverpool the football (soccah in an Aussie accent) is thrown at you left right and centre. I really miss going to the game week in week out.

The West Coast Eagles joined the league in 1987 along with the Brisbane Bears as a completely new "franchise" to use a US term. After South Melbourne moved to Sydney in '82 the VFL was keen to further expand the league into a national competition. The Bears struggled for a long time but the Eagles were successulf almost immediately. They reached the 1991 Grand Final and won the flag (Premiership) in 1992 and '94. So Victorians hated them for taking the flag away for the first time ever. They haven't lived up to those heights since but have a strong team at the moment. The Eagles are Perth's number 1 team. Fremantle on the other hand joined the league in 1995 but were an extension of the WAFL club Fremantle Tigers. So, like Port Adelaide, they have some history before they joined the AFL. For some unknown reason they wore rainbow colours and called themselves the Dockers because Fremantle is a famous port. Their club song is terrible. The first made the finals in 2003 and up until then they were perrenial also-rans. But they have a good young team and a good eccentric coach.

You might notice I referred to Brisbane as the Bears. They were called that until they merged with Fitzroy who were known as the Lions. So took on their name, song, and the blue on their jumper.

One thing about Brisbane is their club song is based on the French national anthem.

Going on your previous post it sounds like you're moving to Perth. If you were going to Melbourne you'd be able to see the Lions play there about 8 times a season. But in Perth you'll only seem them twice or maybe even once a year. Out of the two Perth teams, I'd lean towards West Coast.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:52 am
Re mem mem member

Cheers jez,

Gonna have to be one of the 2 West Coast teams then. I'm moving to Darwin for a year or so, then down to Perth. Like the idea of a crap song and a nutty coach, but that kit scares me off. Reckon I'll watch a game or 2 when I get there, and plump for the team withthe most heart!

Only seen 1 game so far, and that was a lower standard game in Darwin. Was great though. This skinny guy took a mark by climbing up the back of one of the big blokes right in front of us! He was literally standing on his shoulders!! The crowd went nuts, more so than or most of the scores! I loved it!

The soccer looks a pretty poor fayre though, but I suppose I'll watch that too.

Are the crowds for the big games like the English football crowds? Songs etc? Loud atmosphere. Seems that due to the size of the pitch, a lot of the noise is lost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.