Fishing in WA

Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:23 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fishing in WA

Ok - here's an off the wall one...

Never been fishing in my life before. But I want to start when I get to Australia.

I have visions of myself catching good, edible sea fish bringing them home and cooking them up.

So...for someone who is not even a novice a few questions....

1. Is this possible?
2. What kind of expense would be needed to set myself up (excluding boat).
3. Can you just wander to the jetty, cast your line and hey presto?
4. Any legal issues, licenses etc
5. Abundance of fish?

Cheers
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:59 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fishing in WA

Originally Posted by NKSK
Ok - here's an off the wall one...

Never been fishing in my life before. But I want to start when I get to Australia.

I have visions of myself catching good, edible sea fish bringing them home and cooking them up.

So...for someone who is not even a novice a few questions....

1. Is this possible?
2. What kind of expense would be needed to set myself up (excluding boat).
3. Can you just wander to the jetty, cast your line and hey presto?
4. Any legal issues, licenses etc
5. Abundance of fish?

Cheers
$50 for a good rod, $30 for some decent shorts.........thats it. Then just wade out to knee/thigh high and cast away.

Last time I went, we (two of us) caught 15 herring in two hours, watching the sun coming up, you really cant beat it.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
$50 for a good rod, $30 for some decent shorts.........thats it. Then just wade out to knee/thigh high and cast away.

Last time I went, we (two of us) caught 15 herring in two hours, watching the sun coming up, you really cant beat it.

This is music to my ears. I did have a passing thought about sharks but you'd just call me a shandy-drinking pommie nancy wouldn't you?

Is it possible from any beach or are there certain recommended ones in the Perth area?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:18 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

1. Is this possible?
I was thinking of trying it too but they told me me arm aint strong enough to cast from QLD to WA
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Trouble is I'm such a novice that I won't be able to recognise a herring!!! (or any other edible fish for that matter).

Best way to kill them?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:39 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is I'm such a novice that I won't be able to recognise a herring!!! (or any other edible fish for that matter).

Best way to kill them?
I can speak from first hand experience.

Me & my Bart Simpson jnr rod (24.99$ ex K-Mart) have been fishing off the pontoon in the canal (saltwater) and caught lots of saltwater bream ( apparently edible) and some square fish things and got scared by some 3ft long spikey thing and a flat-fish swimming past. They all went back. When you start out its a good idea to remove the barbs from the hooks (by squeezing with pliars) then you can release the fish without hurting them(more).

You can get hooked (;-)) by this - I was looking at $300 rods today , Im not dumbe nough to buy one but hey im sure they'll let me catch those big monsters.

My wife is doing her nut about bait being in the freezer so the various concoctions of fish,prawns,bread are all having to be chucked after each escapade. I havent tried using the fish-fingers yet but feel I am nearly ready for that new adventure.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:04 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

In Perth you are most likely to catch herring and garfish and a few "poddy" whiting from the jetties and breakwaters. All are edible. The herring aren't herring at all but what are known in the eastern states as Tommy Ruff. They are like big sardines, very tasty.

In the swan you will get other species such as bream (pronounced brim), flathead, giant herring and the mighty mulloway.

At the beach other fish you might get, are mulloway, tailor and salmon, all are "average" eating. After a big blow the beter fish come close to shore and you migh be lucky and get a snapper.

If you want really nice eating fish like snapper, baldchin groper, dhufish, king george whiting, tuna, spanish mackeral you will need a boat.

You only need a license for Crayfish, I think you need one for frehwater trout too, and abalone. Strict size and bag limits need obseving. There are plenty of fishries inspectors about.

Best place to fish from the shore - Rottnest.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:38 am

Thanks for all of these replies. One other question - from reading Renth's post....

How much does it costs to charter a boat. Can you just show up and join a party about to go out? How much would it be?
Cheers
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:43 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Best way to kill them?
Straight into a bucket of very iced water. Then drain off the water when you have finished and leave the fish to pass away in peace in the remaining ice, oblivious to their plight.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:44 am
Karma earned, not whored

This is music to my ears. I did have a passing thought about sharks but you'd just call me a shandy-drinking pommie nancy wouldn't you?

Is it possible from any beach or are there certain recommended ones in the Perth area?
As far as I am aware, you can fish of any beach.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:02 pm

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to it.

Still a bit unsure how I transport the fish from line to ice cold bucket -given the heat.

But I'll find that out when I get there!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:12 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to it.

Still a bit unsure how I transport the fish from line to ice cold bucket -given the heat.

But I'll find that out when I get there!

LOL, you get your hand grip it around the fish, take hook out of its mouth, or from what ever part of its body you jagged it on and then place it in the bucket right next to you. Just put some water in the bucket. Keeps the fish fresher, then when your ready off with the heads.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

There was a bloke on a surf board taken by a shark a couple of years, the shark spat him out when it realised the fellow was a lawyer.

The common take on it around town was that the shark spat him out due to professional courtesy or that the shark wouldn't stoop that low.