Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best place to buy a new computer in Oz

Best place to buy a new computer in Oz

Old Jun 11th 2005, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best place to buy a new computer in Oz

I was just wondering if people have ideas on the best place to get a new PC in Australia.

I suppose by 'Best' I mean, cheapest, top quality, top of the range, good advice, and good warranty and service.

I think the obvious candidates are:

dell.com.au
good guys
Harvey Normans
apple.com.au (ok, not cheapest)
Dick Smith
Officeworks
Retravision
Myers

Anyone got any experience of buying a PC from any of the above, or a different chain I haven't thought of?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jun 11th 2005, 6:40 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to buy a new computer in Oz

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I was just wondering if people have ideas on the best place to get a new PC in Australia.

I suppose by 'Best' I mean, cheapest, top quality, top of the range, good advice, and good warranty and service.

dell.com.au
good guys
Harvey Normans
Dick Smith
Officeworks
Retravision
Myers

Anyone got any experience of buying a PC from any of the above, or a different chain I haven't thought of?

Cheers,
JTL

I bought a dell 8400 from dell.com.au about a month ago and got the 19" monitor etc and upgraded the ram and stuff it was about 2200 dollars all in - which was loads more than I needed to pay but its got super fast buses and go-faster stripes ( apparently).

You cant go wrong with dell they're pretty good value. I heard that Megamart are doing sales this week as are most peeps since Myer & Dj have started!.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by spalen
I bought a dell 8400 from dell.com.au about a month ago and got the 19" monitor etc and upgraded the ram and stuff it was about 2200 dollars all in - which was loads more than I needed to pay but its got super fast buses and go-faster stripes ( apparently).

You cant go wrong with dell they're pretty good value. I heard that Megamart are doing sales this week as are most peeps since Myer & Dj have started!.
Guys

Try :
Gamedude at springwood (www.gamedude.com.au)

FTC Computers at capalaba (www.ftc.com.au)

Computer Aliiance at Mount Gravatt (www.computeralliance.com.au)

In all honesty, the big stores (Harvey Norman/ Dick Smiths etc charge too much for a similar specced machine).

I got mine from FTC.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:55 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the big stores just bang out standard computers for everyone, & you have to take what you get.

I got this one from just a small computer shop in Perth called Austin Computers. They custom build all their computers to the customers requirements.
I just went in with everything that I wanted written down on a bit of paper.
They just said, "Yup, it'll be ready in 3 days".

So I ended up with an all singing, all dancing machine with all the features I wanted, and none that I didn't want.
It worked out cheaper as well.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I forgot Mrs JTL has a subscription to choice.com.au

I just had a look around there. Their definition of 'best' was customer service, suitability of recommendation and value for money.

And the winner was, (drum roll...... )

Dick Smith!!!

Based on purely value for money the winners were:

Grace Bothers (I think thats Myers and Megamart) and Tandy.

Now they only tested the large chains, so I have taken on board the above recomendations regarding smaller shops. I'll be nipping down to Capalaba in the next few days to do a bit of price checking.

Thanks for the help,

Cheers,

JTL
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:24 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I forgot Mrs JTL has a subscription to choice.com.au

I just had a look around there. Their definition of 'best' was customer service, suitability of recommendation and value for money.

And the winner was, (drum roll...... )

Dick Smith!!!

Based on purely value for money the winners were:

Grace Bothers (I think thats Myers and Megamart) and Tandy.

Now they only tested the large chains, so I have taken on board the above recomendations regarding smaller shops. I'll be nipping down to Capalaba in the next few days to do a bit of price checking.

Thanks for the help,

Cheers,

JTL
So you came on here to ask and all you had to do was ask the missus
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fraser
So you came on here to ask and all you had to do was ask the missus

No!! I was researching it myself, and I kept getting links to choice.com.au. Anyway, eventually later I *happened* to mention to her that we should get a subscription to choice.com.au, and she said we already had one

I don't know everything she subscribes to!

Anyway, considering the amount of people who ask questions on here instead of typing the exact same thing into google... At least my question was an opinion oriented question,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:18 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

JTL

Look out for one of these mate.

Works with all windows versions.
No blue screens of death.
A novel finger GUI.
.....and above all very cheap and upgradable.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bix
JTL

A novel finger GUI.
So thats what Bix da Boss did with your balls,

I'd guess yours are the blue ones.

Nice collection shes got there,

JTL
Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:08 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

dell.com.au
good guys
Harvey Normans
Dick Smith
Officeworks
Retravision
Myers

Cheers,
JTL

I bought my first computer from CostPlus who were at Underwood then. They've grown and have a place at Springwood, around beside Ikea, but have moved their main office to Milton now I see. Anyway, would recommend them.

I've bought a laptop through Hardly Normal, um, I mean Harvey Norman, but not very impressed with their service or after care. Most of my computers, however, have come via either private or work related sources.

There's also a bloke in Cairns (not a certain leonine abacus-seller) who builds them and sells on E-Bay. A friend bought one and was impressed. Will try to track him down if you're interested?

Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:01 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Last time we just bought a new box for $500, the old keyboard still works and monitor etc. Defiantly go to a small computer shop and start playing one of the other, all very negotiable.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:18 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
Guys

Try :
Gamedude at springwood (www.gamedude.com.au)

FTC Computers at capalaba (www.ftc.com.au)

Computer Aliiance at Mount Gravatt (www.computeralliance.com.au)

In all honesty, the big stores (Harvey Norman/ Dick Smiths etc charge too much for a similar specced machine).

I got mine from FTC.
Computer Alliance at Mt Gravatt, we buy all our desktops & PC related stuff from there cos they can either give you a basic box or build to your spec & they are the best price. I think we have had 3 desktops, printer & scanner (high end stuff not cheap stuff that you can buy from BigW) from them now & no complaints. FTC are OK as well, but usually cant match Alliances price for the same specs.

Agree with Sharpy that the larger stores charge too much for what is really just a basic machine.

I had a really bad experience with Game Dude & got into an awful shitfight with them over their customer service a few years back, I wouldnt buy anything from them if my life depended on it .
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bix
JTL

A novel finger GUI.
oh how you make me laugh big pussy cat!
from little puddy cat
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:24 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

We too have a Dell, simply because they are custom built to suit your requirements. The one drawback with a Dell is, if you ever have to scrap everything and start again, then its very difficult to reinstall the software yourself. What would usually work on a normal pc, to start again, doesnt work on a Dell, you literally have to reinstall every driver for every component.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Mr Logan builds his own computers and was wondering if anyone knows where he can get all the components at a good price? He's found a couple of online sites only. The sooner he builds a new one....the sooner I get to use it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.