Fishing in Oz

Old May 3rd 2008, 7:33 am
Just Joined

tagnut69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fishing in Oz

Hi
What is the fishing like in Australia? Is it all like on the telly, (Rex Hunt and IFISH is all we get here) or do they use our European methods as well? When we get the go ahead to go there, is there any point in taking out all my gear like float, feeder, pike and carp, or would I be better off getting rid and just taking the fly, spin, beach and boat stuff?
I have also heard that if a carp is caught is can not go back, is this true?

Lastly are there any good fishing websites to look at.

Cheers

Chris
Old May 3rd 2008, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing in Oz

Originally Posted by tagnut69
Hi
What is the fishing like in Australia? Is it all like on the telly, (Rex Hunt and IFISH is all we get here) or do they use our European methods as well? When we get the go ahead to go there, is there any point in taking out all my gear like float, feeder, pike and carp, or would I be better off getting rid and just taking the fly, spin, beach and boat stuff?

Cheers

Chris
search google.com.au for fishing and you get about half a million pages...
Old May 3rd 2008, 7:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers

Chris
Take everything

Most of the tackle available in Australia is either cheap crap or very expensive.

The type of fishing depends where you go.

In the south carp are everywhere and considered a pest. there are also english perch and tench in some areas and a lot of trout fishing in some states.

look here:

www.fishnet.com.au
www.ausfish.com.au
www.fishsa.com

There are plenty of other websites but it really depends on where you plan to go.

G
Old May 3rd 2008, 7:57 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

hello, i haven't been fishing for a long time and i am not an expert fisher but fishing is different, like most things are. different methods and equipment and the rules are different in different states. the carp thing is true. the murray river has been polluted by european carp so if you catch one you can't put it back in the water. there are some good web sites (i'll have a bit of a look) what state are you going to? I'd say keep your gear as it can be expensive here for good stuff. i am a woman so you will probably think i am an idiot and don't know much, but at least i have answered!!!
Old May 3rd 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

Hi

Cheers

Chris
Hi chris .. The fishing is great ... keep all your gear I did and thank god I did ... I have found a great Carp water in Melbourne, a huge lake that holds fish up to 30lb+ ... funny thing is is that they all slip out of my hands and make it carefully back into the water I even put the bivvy up and do night fishing .. get some very weird looks from the joggers and bank walkers alike .. I met some guys the other day who had been there for 6 hours without a fish.. I turned up and fished the Method using corn and caught 3 inside half an hour.. They were stunned and found all the gear really interesting so keep it!!
Old May 4th 2008, 9:02 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice

Originally Posted by cypry
Hi chris .. The fishing is great ... keep all your gear I did and thank god I did ... I have found a great Carp water in Melbourne, a huge lake that holds fish up to 30lb+ ... funny thing is is that they all slip out of my hands and make it carefully back into the water I even put the bivvy up and do night fishing .. get some very weird looks from the joggers and bank walkers alike .. I met some guys the other day who had been there for 6 hours without a fish.. I turned up and fished the Method using corn and caught 3 inside half an hour.. They were stunned and found all the gear really interesting so keep it!!
HI all,

Anyone got any ideas on the fishing in WA, around perth or near Dunsborough

Regards

Silverski
Old May 4th 2008, 11:01 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by why
hello, i haven't been fishing for a long time and i am not an expert fisher but fishing is different, like most things are. different methods and equipment and the rules are different in different states. the carp thing is true. the murray river has been polluted by european carp so if you catch one you can't put it back in the water. there are some good web sites (i'll have a bit of a look) what state are you going to? I'd say keep your gear as it can be expensive here for good stuff. i am a woman so you will probably think i am an idiot and don't know much, but at least i have answered!!!
ROFPMSL!!

At last, a woman that understands what us men have been telling em for years!!!!!!

Preparing for a very large slapping!!
Old May 5th 2008, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverski
HI all,

Anyone got any ideas on the fishing in WA, around perth or near Dunsborough

Regards

Silverski
Lots of people fish off Busselton Jetty which is about 15kms or so east of Dunsborough. I think all of the fishing down there is beach or jetty based. [And when I say beach fishing I mean golden sand !]. Or you can get a boat and go out.

I love the fishing here - none of this sitting next to some lake for 4 hours in the freezing rain. All you need is a rod, bait and a six-pack.

p.s. Dunsborough is a beautiful part of WA, I'd love to be able to live down there.