Fish n Chips!

Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:58 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish n Chips!

The best fish and chips I’ve had was in Largs until I got here. Some of the fish is just magic, can’t say the same about the chips though. They use frozen chips. The nearest you can get is potato wedges; ask them not to use seasoning and hey presto!!!!
I’ve been lucky, I’ve found a wee shop across the road from my work willing to make me curry sauce and chips and chips and cheese. The first time I asked them was funny though. The shocked look on their faces was great. I’m still working on the pizza crunch (deep fried battered) though. Everyone I work with thought I was mad at first, but they now nip over to the wee shop for the same.
However, everyone reminds me that I will die soon with my diet, which is nice of them.

soapy
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Being an Aussie, I loved the F & C everywhere I got them (and there was always vinegar ). On the other hand, when I was in Northern Ireland, I did not like the F & C there. SO I guess we all get used to it one way, then when you try it elsewhere, it takes a bit of adjusting. Now being in USA I would kill for some of those F & C from NI

Cheers
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

The fish&chip shop is often a fishmongers, so you can have any fish you like battered, crumbed or grilled. The chips are with salt or chicken salt (not sure what the latter contains). We take the whole lot home so that husband can have vinegar and I can have mayo with my chips.

There's bound to be something around that you like - except if you like mushy peas on everything.........
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:16 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ZippyGeorgeBungle
Hi
Listen guys, I love a good fish supper and will SERIOUSLY miss this as I've heard that in Oz they don't do proper chips? Now, the thing is, I don't mind the different fish... but dodgy chips and no batter? Is this true? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'll really miss a good chippy! Please reassure me - PLEASE!
George
Slowly pan fry atlantic salmon fillets in olive oil or butter with liberal amounts of lemon juice until set inside and crisp brown outside. Nile perch is a good cheap alternative. Make chips or wedges by lightly oiling and salting, spreading on a tray and baking.

Battered fish and chips will become just a sentimental memory in comparison.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:16 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=chocaholic] The chips are with salt or chicken salt (not sure what the latter contains).

QUOTE]
chicken??????
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I love fish. All types. My favourite way of cooking many fish is foil wrapped with lemon and ginger in the oven.....yum...slurp....
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

What I won't give for Harry Ramsdens fish and chips. We have searched for six months and the 'best' fish and chips (our opinion) are from 'Charis' in Labrador on the Gold Coast - really light crispy batter and the fish is not watery. Closest thing to HR. One thing to note is don't ask for 'cod' its not cod as we know it - it awful. Baramundi is the best fish available (again my opinion).

Anybody in Yorkshire have a haddock and chips with scraps for me. This is not a whinge, I have resigned myself to lots of visits to the Gold Coast - all positives.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:15 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surfdude
What I won't give for Harry Ramsdens fish and chips. We have searched for six months and the 'best' fish and chips (our opinion) are from 'Charis' in Labrador on the Gold Coast - really light crispy batter and the fish is not watery. Closest thing to HR. One thing to note is don't ask for 'cod' its not cod as we know it - it awful. Baramundi is the best fish available (again my opinion).

Anybody in Yorkshire have a haddock and chips with scraps for me. This is not a whinge, I have resigned myself to lots of visits to the Gold Coast - all positives.

You sound terrified of getting a negative response! Not from me mate!

What does Barramundi taste like? I've heard lots of people rave about it.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ZippyGeorgeBungle
Hi
Listen guys, I love a good fish supper and will SERIOUSLY miss this as I've heard that in Oz they don't do proper chips? Now, the thing is, I don't mind the different fish... but dodgy chips and no batter? Is this true? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'll really miss a good chippy! Please reassure me - PLEASE!
George
I had some lovely fish and chips the other and it cost me $6. It was called Charis in Labrador. Really nice.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by debsy
I had some lovely fish and chips the other and it cost me $6. It was called Charis in Labrador. Really nice.
Snap! Surfdude recommended exactly the same place! Must be really good!
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:29 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Theres loads of good chippies and bad chippies in Perth, just like the UK.

Some even sell all that crap that gives the Scottish the top spot in the world heart disease ladder - fried mars bars, haggis, white and black pudding etc.

I've found the best chippies are those run by "wogs". But on two occasions good chippies have turned crap on being taken over by poms and the portions turned microscopic overnight.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tonyk38
You sound terrified of getting a negative response! Not from me mate!

What does Barramundi taste like? I've heard lots of people rave about it.

I thinks that is its secret, it dosn't have a 'taste', well not a strong one anyway. Its a firm fish, quite dry and always fresh because its fished in abundance.

Give it a go, battered or grilled its great.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by surfdude
I thinks that is its secret, it dosn't have a 'taste', well not a strong one anyway. Its a firm fish, quite dry and always fresh because its fished in abundance.

Give it a go, battered or grilled its great.
Right, I regard it as a personal ambition to try every edible fish in Australian waters at least once.....starting with Barramundi. OK, I'm going to have to eat something now......
Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

scallywag is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I think the fish is 10 times better than the UK it is battered the chips are ok not quite as good as the UK but ok. You can get almost anything u liked battered.

Phil
Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=soapy]
Originally Posted by chocaholic
The chips are with salt or chicken salt (not sure what the latter contains).

QUOTE]
chicken??????
Of course not chicken, Soapy. I reckon a few different additives, taste enhancer, colour and salt....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.