Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First trip back to the UK

First trip back to the UK

Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

By the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really nice
Default First trip back to the UK

Well, I booked our flights for our first trip back to the uk yesterday. I called my mum(who was over here on holiday last month) and she was all excited and she said 'I bet your excited' and i said 'Yeah!' But to be honest all i could think of is the great aussie holiday we could have for the 5k we're paying for the tickets.
Don't get me wrong it'll be wonderful to see friends and family again but parting with the amount of money and time it would take to do our much desired trip round Oz to go back to the North west of England where I've already spent 25 years of my life, with near enough 24 hours on a plane with two kids under 5 is painful!

It's fair to say that this is now well and truely home. Remind this soft lass not to make the promise to visit again in xx years time again.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:53 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First trip back to the UK

Originally Posted by By the Avon
Well, I booked our flights for our first trip back to the uk yesterday. I called my mum(who was over here on holiday last month) and she was all excited and she said 'I bet your excited' and i said 'Yeah!' But to be honest all i could think of is the great aussie holiday we could have for the 5k we're paying for the tickets.
Don't get me wrong it'll be wonderful to see friends and family again but parting with the amount of money and time it would take to do our much desired trip round Oz to go back to the North west of England where I've already spent 25 years of my life, with near enough 24 hours on a plane with two kids under 5 is painful!

It's fair to say that this is now well and truely home. Remind this soft lass not to make the promise to visit again in xx years time again.
Why did you book to go back if you don't want to? You have seen your mum last month so it's not as if it's been years of wanting to see her.

For the amount of money your going to spend like you said, you should have spent it on something your heart really desires.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

By the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really nice

Tell me about it! Really it's to see Grandparents and siblings that we've not seen, and hubby's parents. Made the promise to go back in three years which is now nearly already up. I can't wait to see everyone but can't they all go to the Maldives and we meet them there!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:14 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

We are not going back for a long while, as you said 5k is a lot to spend.
Last time we did it the inlaws paid 1/2 the tickets, but I then felt obliged to follow there itinerary and didn't really get to do what I wanted.

Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by themerlin
We are not going back for a long while, as you said 5k is a lot to spend.
Last time we did it the inlaws paid 1/2 the tickets, but I then felt obliged to follow there itinerary and didn't really get to do what I wanted.
In same boat - we've just forked out over $5k for tickets home in November as sister in law is getting married - we're making it our proper trip home and it will be 18 months after leaving (a lot sooner than we were planning but need to be there for the wedding).

I wondered whether I'd be excited at going back but not at all - will be great to see everyone but so not bothered about going back to the UK - and painful to see that money go!!!!

We are also approaching it knowing that it is not going to be a 3 week holiday - it will be 3 weeks of rushing and driving around, trying to make sure we've seen everyone and kept everyone happy before heading back here - all with a 3 year old as well - should be fun!!!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:27 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

We head back in December for a cold christmas and I cant bloody wait.

Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Snap a woman after my own heart

I am making my first trip back next week and although looking forward to the same as you - wonder about the $$$ and how differently I could have spent them
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:55 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Why not have a big party and see everyone in the single day, might save some of the running around.

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
it will be 3 weeks of rushing and driving around, trying to make sure we've seen everyone and kept everyone happy before heading back here
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
In same boat - we've just forked out over $5k for tickets home in November as sister in law is getting married - we're making it our proper trip home and it will be 18 months after leaving (a lot sooner than we were planning but need to be there for the wedding).

I wondered whether I'd be excited at going back but not at all - will be great to see everyone but so not bothered about going back to the UK - and painful to see that money go!!!!

We are also approaching it knowing that it is not going to be a 3 week holiday - it will be 3 weeks of rushing and driving around, trying to make sure we've seen everyone and kept everyone happy before heading back here - all with a 3 year old as well - should be fun!!!
Hi Lucy

Well the way I'm looking at it is we've travelled halfway across the world, if they can't make the effort to come and see us then it's their loss. Only the elderly and infirm and those living in holiday spots warrant a special journey. We return on the 30th October, looks like we'll just miss each other?

Ange
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:29 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I went back last year for a grand total of 4 days for my sisters wedding. To be honest that was 3 days too long. I thought I'd feel nostalgic or something maybe, but when I landed at Heathrow I had this overwhelming urge to get on the first plane back home.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:14 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just booked for me and the OH to go back in June and like the original OP I just can't get excited about it. It will be two years since we left to the day - we are going because of a family wedding and to see the in laws (FIL had cancer last year so not yet up to flying). I just feel it is such a waste of money especially as we are flying business class - could have a fabulous holiday somewhere we really wanted to see instead of blighty for two weeks.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:10 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

we looked at going back in august. tickets were $6000. last time we went back cost us $15000 for 6 weeks including our lost wages.wife casual at the time and me only 3 weeks paid leave. this time we said stuff it and ive just ordered myself a new camper trailer. a far better way to blow $10000 i reckon. family are all cranky but most of them wont spend the cash or time to come and see us and im pretty sure the ones who have been out would not have come if wed moved to siberia.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:21 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

We made our first visit back in Feb and I felt the same way to be honest. It was great to catch up with friends and family but we did feel like we had wasted some of it. In hindsight, we should have spent a week with the friends and rellies and then gone somewhere else for a proper holiday. Oh well, you live and learn.

Now, seeing as I've recently passed through the hell-holes they call airports in the UK, I thought I'd give you a few pointers so you don't have to put up with the same crap we did.

1. Weigh you cases and hand luggage and make sure that you are not a single gram over the limit. You may well be fine leaving Aus and in other countries you pass through but when you check-in in the UK, they'll be sticklers.

2. Make sure you only have 1 case and 1 piece of hand luggage per person. Don't even think you can get away with a camera bag or a small handbag, you can't.

3. If you have ANY liquids, gels or powders - Mrs M even had lip gloss taken off her - in your hand luggage, you must put them in a clear plastic bag so that security can inspect it easily. We weren't told this and so had lots of toiletries and stuff taken off us on the way out at Teesside airport. At least at Heathrow they had big signs up explaining the score and the staff were helping people. Not so at Teesside Also you can't take liquids or gels in quantites of more than 50ml.

4. Wear shoes that go on and off easily. We passed through 5 airports and had to take our shoes off at 3 of them (DXB, LHR and MME).
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

stevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nice

If you dont mind me asking, has anyone come back to the UK for Xmas, as my OH has sort of promised her mum that she would and I just know it is going to cost a fortune.
Any idea of how much of a fortune it will be?
For example, 22nd dec for 2 weeks.

Thanks,
S
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:31 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Know how you feel, we are coming up to our 2 year mark and although when back in the Uk we said we could come back after citizenship for a holiday, now I just cant bother my arse!! by the time you have added in all the extras and time off work we are looking at over $10k, that is money which would go towards my boat and to do what - sit in someone living room drink tea and talk about the weather!!
I am sure we will have to eventually but I hope to put it off for as long as possible

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.