Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Time Buyers Allowance And Stamp Duty In Victoria

First Time Buyers Allowance And Stamp Duty In Victoria

Old Jan 16th 2005, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Default First Time Buyers Allowance And Stamp Duty In Victoria

We are hoping to settle in the Melbourne area somewhere and possibly buy a build-off-plan house. I've heard that doing it this way enables you to pay less Stamp Duty. Does anybody know the figures on this and also what criteria you need to qualify for the first time buyers house allowance that I've read about on this thread.

Thanks

Chris
Old Jan 16th 2005, 12:58 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: First Time Buyers Allowance And Stamp Duty In Victoria

Originally Posted by eintracht
We are hoping to settle in the Melbourne area somewhere and possibly buy a build-off-plan house. I've heard that doing it this way enables you to pay less Stamp Duty. Does anybody know the figures on this and also what criteria you need to qualify for the first time buyers house allowance that I've read about on this thread.

Thanks

Chris
Well WA's 1sr time grant is $7000, you have to be resident in the house within 12 months of purchase, the rules for new builds are different though.
Jenny
Old Jan 16th 2005, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,

You can get a first time buyers grant for $7000 in Victoria to help with your stamp duty, and I have heard that you can get an additional $5000 also but that runs out this year. There are a few restrictions.

Kathy
Old Jan 16th 2005, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pako
Hi Chris,

You can get a first time buyers grant for $7000 in Victoria to help with your stamp duty, and I have heard that you can get an additional $5000 also but that runs out this year. There are a few restrictions.

Kathy
Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the information. Do you know what Stamp Duty rates are in Victoria please ?

Thanks

Chris
Old Jan 16th 2005, 4:58 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the information. Do you know what Stamp Duty rates are in Victoria please ?

Thanks

Chris
Chris,

Have a look at this, if you understand it all can you explain it to me, we are looking to do the same as you in Melbourne

http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/sroweb...t=iso-8859-1#1

Stu
Old Jan 16th 2005, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I understand it. Which bit don't you follow ?
Old Jan 16th 2005, 5:59 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road

Yes, I understand it. Which bit don't you follow ?
How much is the Stamp duty?

And Im i right in thinking if you go & buy land & build you only pay stamp duty on the land. Is this correct

Stu
Old Jan 16th 2005, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bert-doozer
How much is the Stamp duty?

And Im i right in thinking if you go & buy land & build you only pay stamp duty on the land. Is this correct

Stu
Yes, I believe that is correct. I'm just waiting confirmation from a friend of mine in Aus. Will let you know if it is not the case.