British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   First Time Buyers Allowance And Stamp Duty In Victoria (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/first-time-buyers-allowance-stamp-duty-victoria-277867/)

eintracht Jan 16th 2005 12:43 pm

First Time Buyers Allowance And Stamp Duty In Victoria

We are hoping to settle in the Melbourne area somewhere and possibly buy a build-off-plan house. I've heard that doing it this way enables you to pay less Stamp Duty. Does anybody know the figures on this and also what criteria you need to qualify for the first time buyers house allowance that I've read about on this thread.

Thanks

Chris

jensteve Jan 16th 2005 12:58 pm

Re: First Time Buyers Allowance And Stamp Duty In Victoria

Originally Posted by eintracht
We are hoping to settle in the Melbourne area somewhere and possibly buy a build-off-plan house. I've heard that doing it this way enables you to pay less Stamp Duty. Does anybody know the figures on this and also what criteria you need to qualify for the first time buyers house allowance that I've read about on this thread.

Thanks

Chris

Well WA's 1sr time grant is $7000, you have to be resident in the house within 12 months of purchase, the rules for new builds are different though.
Jenny

pako Jan 16th 2005 2:26 pm

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

You can get a first time buyers grant for $7000 in Victoria to help with your stamp duty, and I have heard that you can get an additional $5000 also but that runs out this year. There are a few restrictions.

Kathy

eintracht Jan 16th 2005 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by pako
Hi Chris,

You can get a first time buyers grant for $7000 in Victoria to help with your stamp duty, and I have heard that you can get an additional $5000 also but that runs out this year. There are a few restrictions.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the information. Do you know what Stamp Duty rates are in Victoria please ?

Thanks

Chris

bert-doozer Jan 16th 2005 4:58 pm

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the information. Do you know what Stamp Duty rates are in Victoria please ?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

Have a look at this, if you understand it all can you explain it to me, we are looking to do the same as you in Melbourne

http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/sroweb...t=iso-8859-1#1

Stu

eintracht Jan 16th 2005 5:54 pm

Yes, I understand it. Which bit don't you follow ?

bert-doozer Jan 16th 2005 5:59 pm

Yes, I understand it. Which bit don't you follow ?

How much is the Stamp duty?

And Im i right in thinking if you go & buy land & build you only pay stamp duty on the land. Is this correct

Stu

eintracht Jan 16th 2005 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by bert-doozer
How much is the Stamp duty?

And Im i right in thinking if you go & buy land & build you only pay stamp duty on the land. Is this correct

Stu

Yes, I believe that is correct. I'm just waiting confirmation from a friend of mine in Aus. Will let you know if it is not the case.