Reload this Page >

First bed advice needed

First bed advice needed

Old Jul 6th 2005, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default First bed advice needed

Hi
I know this is nothing directly related to Australia but I did move here nearly a year ago and got a lot of useful advice when going through the migration process so fingers crossed...........also don't really want to ask the grandparents as would possibly be seen as a sign that yes we can't cope all the way here on the other side of the world without them so they were right!!!!!
Hoping some of you more experienced parents can help with this one. Our son is nearly two and we today we went out and bought his first proper grown-up bed. Off tomorrow to buy sheets, pillows, rubber under sheet thingy etc. Just wondering if he's ok to have a duvet on his bed or if we really should stick to cellular blankets for 'breathability' etc. He's very good at wriggling out from under his covers so any advice about duvets and generally settling him in his new 'grown-up' bed would be really appreciated...

Huge thanks
Susan, Rod and a very grown up Callum!

p.s am already getting pillows, big cuddly toys ready to put around the bed for when he falls out!!!
Old Jul 6th 2005, 2:05 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First bed advice needed

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
Hi
I know this is nothing directly related to Australia but I did move here nearly a year ago and got a lot of useful advice when going through the migration process so fingers crossed...........also don't really want to ask the grandparents as would possibly be seen as a sign that yes we can't cope all the way here on the other side of the world without them so they were right!!!!!
Hoping some of you more experienced parents can help with this one. Our son is nearly two and we today we went out and bought his first proper grown-up bed. Off tomorrow to buy sheets, pillows, rubber under sheet thingy etc. Just wondering if he's ok to have a duvet on his bed or if we really should stick to cellular blankets for 'breathability' etc. He's very good at wriggling out from under his covers so any advice about duvets and generally settling him in his new 'grown-up' bed would be really appreciated...

Huge thanks
Susan, Rod and a very grown up Callum!

p.s am already getting pillows, big cuddly toys ready to put around the bed for when he falls out!!!
hi guys

we got my little boy a cot bed & turned it into a bed when he was about 18 months, as he managed to jump off the top of the railings..... LOL my heart couldn't take anymore so a bed it became! We put the bed up against a wall to stop him falling out that side & also strategically placed various pillows, cushions & large soft toys on the floor so he didn't hurt himself falling out of bed that side... which incidentally he only fell out about 3 or 4 times .

Jonah has a quilt in his bed; I got it from Mothercare as it is recc'd for kids over 24 months, & I got him a "breathe-easy" pillow also from mothercare, that is "little boy" sized. You can also get special pillows that are basically a piece of foam with loads of largish holes punched thru them so the kids don't suffocate. We tried one of those but they are pretty flat & hard so Jonah didn't sleep that well.

I found that just leaving him to it was the best idea, and made sure (even though difficult) that I didn't rush into his room whenever I heard a "bump"... LOL... majority of the time he was so sleepy when he did fall out that he just crawled back in & went back to sleep.

As for bedding, he has a matress that is waterproof, so we saved money that way not having to buy a 'proper' mattress & waterproof sheets & his bottom sheet is a fitted terry towelling one which is much easier to pull off quickly when "accidents" happen!

Well, best of luck!

Claire, Steve, Jonah & Bubba
Old Jul 6th 2005, 2:10 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, I almost forgot, Vertbaudet Kids Catalogue have a great idea... they do a quilt cover that has bits at the bottom & sides of the duvet cover that tuck in under the mattress.... great for "wriggly" kids!

http://www2.vertbaudet.co.uk/cgi-bin...83013&2A&2A080

Claire
x
Old Jul 6th 2005, 2:36 pm
Zan
Forum Regular

Zan will become famous soon enoughZan will become famous soon enough

Hi, what we did when we moved dd1 from the cot bed (removed the sides) was to use a normal single duvet as that helped stop it falling off as you can tuck it in, though not sure whether blankets would be better in Oz?
She has a sheepskin rug on the non wall side incase she falls out, though think she only has once.
She also has a potty in her room and this is the best bit about the big bed as if she needs to go in the night she can do it all by herself (packet of kandoo next to it).
There is a water proof cover on the matress but that's never been needed.
She was 3 when we moved her so haven't had any problems with the transition.
Zan
Old Jul 6th 2005, 3:47 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

I used duvets from 1 year with no problems. Get a bed guard and a full size bed - I personally wouldn't bother with these kiddie beds. At first they look tiny in the bed but they get used to it pretty quick
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:29 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hi,

We're on our 3rd kid (who is now just over 2) and she has been sleeping on a 6'3" mattress for about the last 6 months with a duvet. Admittedly the mattress is on the ground rather than in a bed so there is no chance of her falling out. This wasn't a deliberate decision; the 2 older kids kids decided to come to our room for a sleep over (hence the mattresses on the floor) and have not gone back yet.

A.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Hi
Thanks everyone for your advice. Off today to buy him a duvet and then it's fingers crossed for tonight!
Susan
Old Jul 7th 2005, 1:08 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

We recently bought our two year old a Wiggles bed, it has sides so she cant fall out, we also got her a quilt, and she loves it, and actually looks forwards to going to bed, pic of a Wiggles bed below.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
We recently bought our two year old a Wiggles bed, it has sides so she cant fall out, we also got her a quilt, and she loves it, and actually looks forwards to going to bed, pic of a Wiggles bed below.

Hi I think I saw that bed in Toys R Us . Think my hubbie (Rod) would think I was mad if I bought it though as he doesn't really get The Wiggles....come on 'Have Barbie on the Beach', 'Running up the sand dunes' and that great song which has words something like 'Zing Zang Zong' in it...classics(!) and I love them!!!!!!!!