Firefighters

Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:51 pm
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light
Default Firefighters

Hi,
I heard somewhere that some states were looking at putting firefighting/fireman on the skilled occupation list ?
Anyone give me anymore details on this or advise whether this is true in anyway ?

Thanks....
Fireman Al
Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:33 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Firefighters

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Hi,
I heard somewhere that some states were looking at putting firefighting/fireman on the skilled occupation list ?
Anyone give me anymore details on this or advise whether this is true in anyway ?

Thanks....
Fireman Al
Might be better to ask on the Immigration forum, one of the agents on their may be better placed to answer that one for you.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:27 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Hi,

Thanks....
Fireman Al
If South Australia is anything to go by, I doubt it...

I've heard that for every vacancy for a firefighting position in Adelaide, 100+ people apply.

The South Australia Metropolitan Fire Service website also says: "The SAMFS is not currently recruiting, however when future recruitment dates are known, they will be posted on this site." (http://www.samfs.sa.gov.au/recruitment/fulltimeff.asp)
Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshpom
And the rest of the country from what I could see. They don't accept fire fighters from different states let alone countries.

Never get your hopes up by rumour of changes in DIMIA rules etc. They tend to be just that, rumours.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

gjc38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welshpom

I've heard that for every vacancy for a firefighting position in Adelaide, 100+ people apply.

The South Australia Metropolitan Fire Service website also says: "The SAMFS is not currently recruiting, however when future recruitment dates are known, they will be posted on this site." (http://www.samfs.sa.gov.au/recruitment/fulltimeff.asp)

....and that's not often - I'm already employed by SAMFS as a Fire Fighter and staff turn over is very low, it's very rare to hear of people leaving by choice. The entry requirements are seen as quite tough by some too.

Judes
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Firefighting selection is severe - I was surprised at what they expect from a bloke off the street.

But everyone wants to do it so they can be picky. You do 2 days of office hours, then 2 nights of 18 hrs, then you get 4 days off. Nice.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

task is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nice

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Firefighting selection is severe - I was surprised at what they expect from a bloke off the street.

But everyone wants to do it so they can be picky. You do 2 days of office hours, then 2 nights of 18 hrs, then you get 4 days off. Nice.
Hi do you think a brit Fire fighter has a chance in Australia
cheers task.....
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:40 pm
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

You're right, it is tough, but on the selection for recruitment when i got selected here, there was 4762 initial applicants, they took 12 of us !!!
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:41 pm
Who me ?

Originally Posted by task
Hi do you think a brit Fire fighter has a chance in Australia
cheers task.....
Hell yes, why wouldn't we ?.....The fire service here is just as tough, the only thing that we don't get to deal with are the bush fire's....and i don't think any training can prepare you for that !
Old Jan 14th 2006, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

gjc38 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm British and employed as one - BUT - I wasn't one in the UK. I came here on a permanent residence visa and was able to apply because of that. That may be the only route to go down if it's not on the skilled list already.