Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fingers Crossed and Nails abiting.. another Newbie in the house

Fingers Crossed and Nails abiting.. another Newbie in the house

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:38 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Fingers Crossed and Nails abiting.. another Newbie in the house

Hi all!

Well, my name's Lynne, and we're sat here waiting to hear if t'other half has been successful with a job application for Brisbane.. and then I guess the panic will set in, instead of all the wishful thinking!

Kids are all keyed up and excited about the prospect - I just hope it comes off! Eldest is 15 now, so we're worried about how much it will affect his education, especially if *this* job doesn't come off - but the 14 year old and the 12 year old can't wait.

Hope to get to know y'all!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:11 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fingers Crossed and Nails abiting.. another Newbie in the house

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Hi all!

Well, my name's Lynne, and we're sat here waiting to hear if t'other half has been successful with a job application for Brisbane.. and then I guess the panic will set in, instead of all the wishful thinking!

Kids are all keyed up and excited about the prospect - I just hope it comes off! Eldest is 15 now, so we're worried about how much it will affect his education, especially if *this* job doesn't come off - but the 14 year old and the 12 year old can't wait.

Hope to get to know y'all!
Hi Dreamy,
Welcome to BE!
Sounds like the family are all behind you, hope it isn't long before you find out about the application. Good luck with it and never give up on the dream
J x
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE

Good luck with the interview
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi there,and welcome to the site we re in brisbane and we waited until my daughter had finished school before we came out here,i do think this wasnt such a good idea now if they are still in school they make friends much easier and if you get your son into the australian school system he ll be just fine im sure,its much easier for them in school rather than out.
do you know whereabout in brisbane your heading?

tracey
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:39 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the site Lynne & good luck with the job application.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:48 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors
hi there,and welcome to the site we re in brisbane and we waited until my daughter had finished school before we came out here,i do think this wasnt such a good idea now if they are still in school they make friends much easier and if you get your son into the australian school system he ll be just fine im sure,its much easier for them in school rather than out.
do you know whereabout in brisbane your heading?

tracey
Hi Tracey

We have no idea yet if it will be Brisbane - OH is shortlisted for two jobs, one in Brisbane, one is Sydney - he should ::fingers crossed:: find out about the Brisbane one this week, and he'll know about the Sydney one by the end of the month

My nerves are in shreds, lol.

And then, if he is successful, things will move so quickly, its just too scary for words!

Obviously, settling the kids will be a big worry. Both me and Himself are anti-social gits, happy with pcs, work and each other.. but naturally its different for the kids. I just hope we can get them into a decent school, and they don't have too many problems acclimatising and adjusting. Here, they are in a decent church school, which has a heavy emphasis on education, sport and performance art. I'm guessing the sport part won't be a problem in Oz, not so sure about the rest!

I think I'll feel more settled when we know IF Himself has been successful in one of these two jobs, and where we're likely to be heading.. if he's not, then we'll be applying ourselves next year (will miss the relocation grant from his prospective employer tho)

<<every time the phone rings Im scared to answer it :-D
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:49 am
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by Bordy
Welcome to the site Lynne & good luck with the job application.
Thanks Bordy (and everyone else!) for the good wishes

We've been dreaming of this for so long, its feels weird that it could be happening now

Lynne
Old Nov 6th 2006, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

well good luck hun,i think you ll find the schools are generally very good here,lots of outdoor sports and performing art is quite popular to let me know if you need any info on brissy,we re in bayside,cleveland,and as for anti social,we could change that im sure

tracey
Hi Tracey

We have no idea yet if it will be Brisbane - OH is shortlisted for two jobs, one in Brisbane, one is Sydney - he should ::fingers crossed:: find out about the Brisbane one this week, and he'll know about the Sydney one by the end of the month

My nerves are in shreds, lol.

And then, if he is successful, things will move so quickly, its just too scary for words!

Obviously, settling the kids will be a big worry. Both me and Himself are anti-social gits, happy with pcs, work and each other.. but naturally its different for the kids. I just hope we can get them into a decent school, and they don't have too many problems acclimatising and adjusting. Here, they are in a decent church school, which has a heavy emphasis on education, sport and performance art. I'm guessing the sport part won't be a problem in Oz, not so sure about the rest!

I think I'll feel more settled when we know IF Himself has been successful in one of these two jobs, and where we're likely to be heading.. if he's not, then we'll be applying ourselves next year (will miss the relocation grant from his prospective employer tho)

<<every time the phone rings Im scared to answer it :-D
Old Nov 7th 2006, 6:51 am
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by scissors
well good luck hun,i think you ll find the schools are generally very good here,lots of outdoor sports and performing art is quite popular to let me know if you need any info on brissy,we re in bayside,cleveland,and as for anti social,we could change that im sure

tracey
That's brilliant, Tracey, thank you :-D
Old Nov 7th 2006, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

Hi Dreamy

I'm sure your 15 year old will be fine once he gets out here. It seems that teenagers settle far better if they are still school age and can make lots of school mates. The schools offer quite a good choice of subjects and there doesn't seem to be so much pressure here to wear the latest clothes. Have you got a preference between Brisbane and Sydney?
Old Nov 8th 2006, 12:12 pm
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by kt.2006
Hi Dreamy

I'm sure your 15 year old will be fine once he gets out here. It seems that teenagers settle far better if they are still school age and can make lots of school mates. The schools offer quite a good choice of subjects and there doesn't seem to be so much pressure here to wear the latest clothes. Have you got a preference between Brisbane and Sydney?
Personally, I'd prefer Brisbane.. but its more likely that Himself will get the job based in Sydney. Both areas have pluses and minuses - but they both have a major plus as far as we're concerned .. they're not in the UK

Still not heard back about the Brisbane job, longer it gets, less likely he's got that one ::cries:: so its going to feel like forever waiting for the next stage in the Sydney application. We keep trying not to build up every step until we actually hear back, but its so hard to stay grounded lol

Hey ho. All I'm sure about is that it flipping WILL happen one day
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

Personally, I'd prefer Brisbane.. but its more likely that Himself will get the job based in Sydney. Both areas have pluses and minuses - but they both have a major plus as far as we're concerned .. they're not in the UK

Still not heard back about the Brisbane job, longer it gets, less likely he's got that one ::cries:: so its going to feel like forever waiting for the next stage in the Sydney application. We keep trying not to build up every step until we actually hear back, but its so hard to stay grounded lol

Good luck with both jobs. Hope you still manage to get the Brisbane job as it's really nice here and I can recommend it. York is a lovely place so why are you so desperate to leave it?

Kathy
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Karen72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to all

Hi there, just a quick note that job applications can take much longer here, i applied for a job in Brisbane on 24th August and was interviewed just over 6 weeks ago, and i'm still waiting, they have followed up further reference checks, checked things i said in my interview and i was told yesterday i'm still in the running and will hopefully hear this week, but things just seem to take longer here, so he may still get brisbane job.!!!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:29 am
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by Karen72
Hi there, just a quick note that job applications can take much longer here, i applied for a job in Brisbane on 24th August and was interviewed just over 6 weeks ago, and i'm still waiting, they have followed up further reference checks, checked things i said in my interview and i was told yesterday i'm still in the running and will hopefully hear this week, but things just seem to take longer here, so he may still get brisbane job.!!!
Aw good luck with that, Karen!

Himself has just got the date for the next Sydney interview (two weeks today) - and he'll definitely find out that week, because they want him to be over there working by end Feb.. if in the meantime we hear about the Brisbane job, all the better :-D

How are you finding Bracken Ridge? That was one of the areas we were looking at if its Brisbane.

As for York - yes, its beautiful here, we live in a lovely village, kids are in a good school - we must be mad :-D But its just something we need to do, something we've dreamed about for such a long time. We never thought we'd be able to do it, until last year when Himself was looking for a new job, and we were contacted by an Aussie agency, interested in his talents. He wasn't successful that time, but we looked into it further and realised with his experience it was a viable dream.. so here we are, fingers crossed and biting nails :-D

But we're still mad.

We're lucky, my parents are 100% behind the decision. My dad was given the opportunity to emigrate to Newcastle 35 years ago, and his mum made them feel so guilty they didn't go. I guess they've always regretted it.

Sorry, I'm waffling now

Last edited by Dreamy; Nov 9th 2006 at 6:29 am. Reason: ::can't type:: :)
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Karen72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to all

Aw good luck with that, Karen!

Himself has just got the date for the next Sydney interview (two weeks today) - and he'll definitely find out that week, because they want him to be over there working by end Feb.. if in the meantime we hear about the Brisbane job, all the better :-D

How are you finding Bracken Ridge? That was one of the areas we were looking at if its Brisbane.

As for York - yes, its beautiful here, we live in a lovely village, kids are in a good school - we must be mad :-D But its just something we need to do, something we've dreamed about for such a long time. We never thought we'd be able to do it, until last year when Himself was looking for a new job, and we were contacted by an Aussie agency, interested in his talents. He wasn't successful that time, but we looked into it further and realised with his experience it was a viable dream.. so here we are, fingers crossed and biting nails :-D

But we're still mad.

We're lucky, my parents are 100% behind the decision. My dad was given the opportunity to emigrate to Newcastle 35 years ago, and his mum made them feel so guilty they didn't go. I guess they've always regretted it.

Sorry, I'm waffling now
hi!
I know what you mean about having to give it a go, we decided to stay in uk cause of family etc and completely refurbished the house, and built a conservatory etc.etc. but we still had teh urge to try it and now we're here! we didn't want any regrets and no 'what if's'. it's be great if you came to bracken ridge, it's a lovely place with a couple of supermarkets and various shops, it's an ideal position cause it's close to the M1 and 20 mins drvie to CBD and an hour from gold coast and 50 mins to caloundra on sunshine coast, got schools, tafe, etc. we like it here adn when we buy next year we'll look around this area or nearby. it's great to have your parents support, mine were fine as my dad lives in spain and my mum lives in bulgaria so it was dave's who were the concern but they've been really supportive too. Good luck with the sydney interview. Unfortunately after 6 weeks of waiting i foudn out i haven't got the job i went for, but today i've been called 3 times to go for different interviews so that's good, hopefully something will come of them! Karen.x