Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding work when you first arrive?

Finding work when you first arrive?

Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:49 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finding work when you first arrive?

I'm moving to the gold coast area in october and was hoping someone could give me an idea of how easy finding work would be for me?

I've got 15 years experience in hands on engineering roles (welder/fabricator, maintanence engineer for boat hirer) and the following qualfications from the uk.
welding/fabrication nvqs
corgi gas fitter lpg
forklift ticket

and am going to get my blue card and forklift ticket in oz before i start applying.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of
Default Re: Finding work when you first arrive?

Originally Posted by Bello
I'm moving to the gold coast area in october and was hoping someone could give me an idea of how easy finding work would be for me?

I've got 15 years experience in hands on engineering roles (welder/fabricator, maintanence engineer for boat hirer) and the following qualfications from the uk.
welding/fabrication nvqs
corgi gas fitter lpg
forklift ticket

and am going to get my blue card and forklift ticket in oz before i start applying.
Hi,

If you are not fussy to start with, you will find work easy. I arrived on a Tuesday and was working the following week through a recruitment agency. I also could pick and choose when I wanted to work and what work I wanted to do. The money was not great, around $20 an hour but it got you a foot on the employment ladder until you find what you are looking for.

I worked through two agency's and while working for one of them got word of the company I am with now possibly looking for people, so I applied and got the job. If I had not been working with the agency i would not have known about it.

Good luck

Bobby
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:56 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work when you first arrive?

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
Hi,

If you are not fussy to start with, you will find work easy. I arrived on a Tuesday and was working the following week through a recruitment agency. I also could pick and choose when I wanted to work and what work I wanted to do. The money was not great, around $20 an hour but it got you a foot on the employment ladder until you find what you are looking for.

I worked through two agency's and while working for one of them got word of the company I am with now possibly looking for people, so I applied and got the job. If I had not been working with the agency i would not have known about it.

Good luck

Bobby
Thanks Bobby that's pretty reassuring