Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding Work In Sydney In December??

Finding Work In Sydney In December??

Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Djaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to all
Default Finding Work In Sydney In December??

Hi guys,

I'm heading over to Sydney in a few weeks (first week of December) on a working holida visa.

I was just wondering how easy/hard it would be to find work this time of the year?
Some of my friends, who are out there have told me to sign up to Hayes and RSP recruitment agency before I arrive?
Can anyone suggest any other good recruitment agencies?

Is going through agencies the correct approach with this, or should I be taking my cv to potential employers directly?

Thanks

ps - I'm happy to and would consider working in any sector in all honesty.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 6:01 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding Work In Sydney In December??

Originally Posted by Djaniero
Hi guys,

I'm heading over to Sydney in a few weeks (first week of December) on a working holida visa.

I was just wondering how easy/hard it would be to find work this time of the year?
Some of my friends, who are out there have told me to sign up to Hayes and RSP recruitment agency before I arrive?
Can anyone suggest any other good recruitment agencies?

Is going through agencies the correct approach with this, or should I be taking my cv to potential employers directly?

Thanks

ps - I'm happy to and would consider working in any sector in all honesty.
Welcome to BE mate

What kind of work are you in? This may help people to determine the answer.

As a *general* rule most companies are starting to wind down for the Xmas holidays (which is the main holiday period in Aus) and they don't generally take on new staff cos by the time they've finished training, it's time for holiday. Having said that, it prolly depends what you do.

All the best for your time in Aus
Old Nov 6th 2011, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

we're shut- hit the beach!
Old Nov 6th 2011, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It is hard to comment without you saying what liine of work you are in. You say you will do anything but you will find it easier to find work in a field you are familiar with.

I don't think there is any particularly strong advantage in signing up with agencies before you get here versus the day you arrive, but you could do that. Some agencies are geared to particular occupations so again hard to comment on which would be best suited to you.

It isn't impossible to find work in December, but if you *need* to get working asap due to funds, then I would genuinely consider postponing for a couple of months. If it is not important that you start work asap then come over and enjoy the beach.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Djaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to allDjaniero is a name known to all

we
Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Welcome to BE mate

What kind of work are you in? This may help people to determine the answer.

As a *general* rule most companies are starting to wind down for the Xmas holidays (which is the main holiday period in Aus) and they don't generally take on new staff cos by the time they've finished training, it's time for holiday. Having said that, it prolly depends what you do.

All the best for your time in Aus
Hey mate, thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm currently employed as a Youth Worker/Mentor. Prior to this, my main occupations have been in high school class room support (similar to a teachers assistant but working with young people with behavioural issues), retail, and retail banking.
I'm a media graduate (BA hons in TV and Radio), but since graduating, I have never really persued media as a career, just a hobbie.
So I'd be happy doing anything in oz work wise to be honest, but my main skills are in media production, mentoring, youth work, retail and retail banking

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
we're shut- hit the beach!
Nuff said

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It is hard to comment without you saying what liine of work you are in. You say you will do anything but you will find it easier to find work in a field you are familiar with.

I don't think there is any particularly strong advantage in signing up with agencies before you get here versus the day you arrive, but you could do that. Some agencies are geared to particular occupations so again hard to comment on which would be best suited to you.

It isn't impossible to find work in December, but if you *need* to get working asap due to funds, then I would genuinely consider postponing for a couple of months. If it is not important that you start work asap then come over and enjoy the beach.

Hi,
sorry I should have been more specific in my original post. As said above, my main skills are in media production,mentoring, youth work, retail and retail banking.
I have enough funds to last me roughly around a month before I need to start work. However, as I tend to travel the east cost, I wanted to try and find work asap.

So would it be a better idea to look for work in January instead??

Thanks guys

Last edited by Djaniero; Nov 6th 2011 at 11:01 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

we

Hey mate, thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm currently employed as a Youth Worker/Mentor. Prior to this, my main occupations have been in high school class room support (similar to a teachers assistant but working with young people with behavioural issues), retail, and retail banking.
I'm a media graduate (BA hons in TV and Radio), but since graduating, I have never really persued media as a career, just a hobbie.
So I'd be happy doing anything in oz work wise to be honest, but my main skills are in media production, mentoring, youth work, retail and retail banking

Nuff said

Hi,
sorry I should have been more specific in my original post. As said above, my main skills are in media production,mentoring, youth work, retail and retail banking.
I have enough funds to last me roughly around a month before I need to start work. However, as I tend to travel the east cost, I wanted to try and find work asap.

Thanks guys
On the jobs front normally January is in "care taker mode" until after Australia day when schools all go back and the majority of people are back at work. As mentioned before this period is the equivalent of Christmas holidays and summer holidays all rolled into one.

Best to take this into account with respect to budgetting plus the fact that January is peak for prices in the holiday locations, flights etc...
Old Nov 6th 2011, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If you definitely only have enough funds for a month, then this is the wrong time of year to be looking to come over; leave it until February at least. Of course you might get work sooner, not saying that you won't, but if you don't and funds dry up then you might end up going back sooner than you want to.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have no problem just getting a shi**y temp job in a call centre or something if you're really not too fussed about what you do.

To get a proper full time job might be trickier, but there'll always be something to tide you over.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Hmmmm......Really got me thinking whether or not I should postpone my trip for a later date.

The plan was to get an appartment with my partner and her sister (they've already been out there for a few months). I've already put some cash towards the bond etc, and they said that I would roughly be paying 220-250aud a week for rent (with bills on top).

They've offered to support me until my funds run out/or find work. However I would much rather find work asap, even if its temp work.

@JoeBloggs80 - do you know of any good temp agencies in Sydney??
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:25 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember Bondi real estate becoming very tight around late november. There will be seasonal bar and waiting work. Media is about who you know.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Indeed, we're having a knightmare actually finding an appartment at the moment.
Never done waiting/bar work before, but would be willing to give it a shot. I'm not really familiar with the Media Industry in oz, but it would be a huge bonus if I managed to get something in that field while I'm there.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Indeed, we're having a knightmare actually finding an appartment at the moment.
Never done waiting/bar work before, but would be willing to give it a shot. I'm not really familiar with the Media Industry in oz, but it would be a huge bonus if I managed to get something in that field while I'm there.
You will find it difficult to find an apartment whilst you are still overseas, but it will be a lot easier once you are here. I think I read somewhere that you will need to take a course and get a certificate in order to do bar work, Responsible service of Alcohol or something.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry don't know any decent agencies myself, been several years since I've done temp work here.

I presume you have looked through www.seek.com.au for jobs? That is by far the most comprehensive website

To do bar/waiting work you need to do a 1 day course at the RSA, some states let you do it online but not NSW sadly http://www.onlinersa.com.au/
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:39 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Are you a jolly fat guy with a big white beard? Are you good working with kids?

If so then there may be some seasonal work you can pick up in December...
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You will find it difficult to find an apartment whilst you are still overseas, but it will be a lot easier once you are here. I think I read somewhere that you will need to take a course and get a certificate in order to do bar work, Responsible service of Alcohol or something.
My partner and her sister are currently over in Sydney, and looking for an appartment for us all. They're finding it difficult finding a place as I said, so I can only imagine how hard it would be if we were all still over here in the uk trying to find something.

I've heard/read that before about needing a specific certificate to do bar work. I'll look into it. Thanks

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Sorry don't know any decent agencies myself, been several years since I've done temp work here.

I presume you have looked through www.seek.com.au for jobs? That is by far the most comprehensive website

To do bar/waiting work you need to do a 1 day course at the RSA, some states let you do it online but not NSW sadly http://www.onlinersa.com.au/
Thanks for the reminder, I looked on seek a couple of months back, and it simply slipped my mind.
I'll look into the bar course etc, and see whats what.

Thanks again all