Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FIFO work. Help needed...

FIFO work. Help needed...

Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future
Default FIFO work. Help needed...

Please help,

I am trying to get into the mines FIFO and have already got my HR license and applying on seek.com.au for everything from cleaning, maintence/handyman, Dump truck operator and I am getting NO WHERE. Every company I have applied to wants experienced people but how do you get experience when no one will take you on and train you??? I live near Rockingham WA and prepared to do anything to get up north (within reason ).

Please please help as I am banging my head off a brick wall at the moment...

Tony.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIFO work. Help needed...

The first question i would ask is through which web site you are looking for jobs. I would assume it is seek.com. My advice would be not to bother if it is via a recruitment company. Most of the jobs on seek dont actually exist. Have a look at infomine. The careers section is a subscription system and i think it is about $10 a month, though you can cancel at any time. Far better for the industry.

Do though have a think about why you want to get into mining. A lot of people believe the hype about salaries. But that is what it is for most. For cleaners and general people have a look at ESS who are part of the Compass group. They provide a lot of out sourced handy people / cleaners and things to mines. Be aware though that the pay is only about $50k for a 2 week on 1 week off roster working 12 hour split shifts.

Have a look at Barminco for underground trucking. But do think about it. Most mines are insisting on experienced staff because new people dont last. My last site turned over its entire trucking operators 3x a year. A lot last less that a few swings. The reason being that it is mind knumbingly dull and the pay isnt that high. You will probably start on about $75k for a 2:1 roster doing a week of days then week of nights. There is good money to be made in mining, but it takes a long time to get there. A Jumbo driver can easy make $250k. But it would take 10 years of crap to get there.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future

Hi thanks for your help.

All I need is six months experience. I am willing to work for a low wage to start with, then I have a friend who can get me a start on his mine with decent money. But I can not get an initial start??
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The first question i would ask is through which web site you are looking for jobs. I would assume it is seek.com. My advice would be not to bother if it is via a recruitment company. Most of the jobs on seek dont actually exist. Have a look at infomine. The careers section is a subscription system and i think it is about $10 a month, though you can cancel at any time. Far better for the industry.

Do though have a think about why you want to get into mining. A lot of people believe the hype about salaries. But that is what it is for most. For cleaners and general people have a look at ESS who are part of the Compass group. They provide a lot of out sourced handy people / cleaners and things to mines. Be aware though that the pay is only about $50k for a 2 week on 1 week off roster working 12 hour split shifts.

Have a look at Barminco for underground trucking. But do think about it. Most mines are insisting on experienced staff because new people dont last. My last site turned over its entire trucking operators 3x a year. A lot last less that a few swings. The reason being that it is mind knumbingly dull and the pay isnt that high. You will probably start on about $75k for a 2:1 roster doing a week of days then week of nights. There is good money to be made in mining, but it takes a long time to get there. A Jumbo driver can easy make $250k. But it would take 10 years of crap to get there.
Rio is going over to driverless systems big time. They have just signed a deal with Komatsu for at least 150 autonomous haul packs. These will all be operated from the control centre at Perth airport. Trains are going the same way, stackers and reclaimers already are. Next will be the diggers and graders (which are being fitted with AHS). These systems are very expensive and they don't save much money but I think they are sick of being held to ransom by militant, semi-skilled operators. Ironically, all this will mean more work for us in Perth who design these operations.

The other companies will follow.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Look for Driller's Offsider, Sample Preparation and Field Assistant jobs.

These are "get your foot in the door" jobs with little or no experience required.