Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

finding it a little hard

finding it a little hard

Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Buttercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to all
Default finding it a little hard

Hi people,

Well were do i start... We've been here 4.5 weeks now and are staying with the outlaws on the Sunshine Coast. I guess i am finding it a little hard to adjust...whether it be heat or just feeling a little out of water. I know that i have to stay positive and good things will happen but sometimes it's a little hard. We're hoping to rent a place in Ashgrove very very soon. I am also looking for Mum and toddler groups to join in the New Year in and around that area.
If any of you have words of advise i'd love to hear it......What a way to start the year..
Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:16 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: finding it a little hard

Originally Posted by Buttercup
Hi people,

Well were do i start... We've been here 4.5 weeks now and are staying with the outlaws on the Sunshine Coast. I guess i am finding it a little hard to adjust...whether it be heat or just feeling a little out of water. I know that i have to stay positive and good things will happen but sometimes it's a little hard. We're hoping to rent a place in Ashgrove very very soon. I am also looking for Mum and toddler groups to join in the New Year in and around that area.
If any of you have words of advise i'd love to hear it......What a way to start the year..
Hang in there mate, we've been here just over four months and been fine until the festive season arrived, so I'd imagine it's not the best time to try and settle stick with it.

If you were in Blighty now from here to may is a horible time of year enjoy the sunshine
Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Buttercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to allButtercup is a name known to all

[QUOTE=fraser]Hang in there mate,

Thanks Fraser.... It's what i need to hear... i think you're right especially with the New Year Festivities.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi people,

I am sure you will feel better once you are in a place of your own. It is sometimes hard staying with relatives even in a familiar place.
Sorry I can't help with mother and toddler groups as we are not in that area and also mine are too old now, although you wouldn't think so the way they act sometimes.
Keep your chin up and hopefully things will improve, it is early days yet.

Amanda
Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:32 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002
I am sure you will feel better once you are in a place of your own. It is sometimes hard staying with relatives even in a familiar place.
Completely agree. I dont think that anything could possibly begin to feel at home until you actually have your own place again.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:48 am
ABCDiamond

Hi people,

I agree with others.

1: Christmas time must be the hardest time of the year for anyone, even those that have been her years will miss some people at this time of year.

2: Staying with In-Laws...... well, no matter what time of year it is, that can be problematic, just on its own !

3: 4.5 weeks ? You'll not be settled yet.

It will change, and more often than not, for the better Especially when you are in your own place, doing things your way

Some QLD Mother & Baby info at:
http://members.essentialbaby.com.au/...?&showforum=23
and
http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...isplay.php?f=7

Old Jan 1st 2006, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Cheers guys ....this is what makes expats so good... the way that everybody helps one another !!!!!You've made me smile . I am sure you are right about the moving out and finding our own place...it's number one on our list !!
Old Jan 1st 2006, 9:31 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi people,

Keep going, you WILL get there. Hopefully things will ease once you get your own digs.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 1st 2006, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Hang in the Buttercup, like the others have said, when you have your own space you should feel better and its a bad time of year for missing loved ones.
Wishing you all the best and hope to see another posting from you in the future telling us that you are happier.
Take care
Old Jan 1st 2006, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Sending you some karma
Its still early days, movin to the otherside of the world was never gonna be easy and not having your own space can only make things harder...Try and keep your chin up
happy house hunting.

Claire
Old Jan 1st 2006, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi people,

Hi Buttercup, not sure about the sunshine coast, but here in Perth the toddler groups go back first week of Feb. I joined one last year and really stuck at it, even though some weeks I'd have a downer and didn't feel like going... however, now I've really settled and made some great friends - the nipper is in his element too. It takes time, work at it, be patient and bear in mind that you can make loads of progress just moving a step at a time.
Take care
Larissa
PS in the meantime, we are always here for a natter.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:26 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi people,

From the people that I have spoken to and my personal feelings to feel the way you do at 4.5 weeks is quite common. I was in euphoria for the first few weeks and then around the 4-5 weeks mark I felt like a cloud had appeared over my head and that it would never budge and almost felt a panic that this is what I am going to feel like being here, but once my outlaw MIL went back to England and we moved into our proper rental and our container arrived it all fell back into place.
I found Christmas really hard and didnt enjoy Christmas day at all but feel full of the joys of life now and looking forward to our new year in OZ and all that it brings.
Is there anyone on this site in your area that you could meet up with, it doesn't matter if they are not your age or have older kids or younger or none, I have met up with a few women now all of us at different stages in our lives and it really has made me and the other girls feel at home, all happy to be here and all at most only being 3 months into our new lives.
I am sure that once you move into your own house and start to meet other women you will start to feel better and if you feel really s****y and fancy a drive then come and meet some of us just North of Brisbane its not that far and we are a friendly bunch with children ranging from 18mths to 14yrs.