Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding accomodation with a Dog???????

Finding accomodation with a Dog???????

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:10 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finding accomodation with a Dog???????

we are looking to move to Perth once the Visa comes through and was wondering how difficult it is to get accommodation if we are bringing the dog with us ( Lab)

I know that many of you will have different views on this but i really need to know the facts as i ( Mr Sunny_Glesga) think that we will have enough on our plate trying to find somewhere to live without worrying about the Landlords saying that they dont accept animals in the property. the Missus has her own view on this and wont budge.

I do have all intentions to take the dog over with us but i think if its possible that and we can arrange something here that she ( the dog) should stay here until we get sorted over there and then send for her.

Please, i dont want slated for thinking this way, i just want honest opinions as i dont want to land there and find that we cannot take this/that and the other property to rent cause they dont accept animals. I just want us to find somewhere to settle quickly, give ourselves some time to get our heads together and then look to find somewhere that is suitable for us all and that will allow the dog.

i do understand where the Missus is coming from but! this would be fine if we had loads of ££££££££££ and wouldnt mind paying over the odds for somewhere that allows animals.

We simply dont have loads ££££££ and i do honestly have a real worry about all our worldly posessions will possessions on a Bank statement that will soon disappear

i hope you guys understand where i`m comming from. The Missus will certainly check this out if not only to give me a good mouthing off
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:35 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding accomodation with a Dog???????

forgot all you guy`s there are or nursing the hangover

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
we are looking to move to Perth once the Visa comes through and was wondering how difficult it is to get accommodation if we are bringing the dog with us ( Lab)

I know that many of you will have different views on this but i really need to know the facts as i ( Mr Sunny_Glesga) think that we will have enough on our plate trying to find somewhere to live without worrying about the Landlords saying that they dont accept animals in the property. the Missus has her own view on this and wont budge.

I do have all intentions to take the dog over with us but i think if its possible that and we can arrange something here that she ( the dog) should stay here until we get sorted over there and then send for her.

Please, i dont want slated for thinking this way, i just want honest opinions as i dont want to land there and find that we cannot take this/that and the other property to rent cause they dont accept animals. I just want us to find somewhere to settle quickly, give ourselves some time to get our heads together and then look to find somewhere that is suitable for us all and that will allow the dog.

i do understand where the Missus is coming from but! this would be fine if we had loads of ££££££££££ and wouldnt mind paying over the odds for somewhere that allows animals.

We simply dont have loads ££££££ and i do honestly have a real worry about all our worldly posessions will possessions on a Bank statement that will soon disappear

i hope you guys understand where i`m comming from. The Missus will certainly check this out if not only to give me a good mouthing off
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:03 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

we are looking to move to Perth once the Visa comes through and was wondering how difficult it is to get accommodation if we are bringing the dog with us ( Lab) <snip>
Don't know if Perth is any different but here in Sydney we had no problems finding accommodation that took dogs. I'd say it was obvious that 30% of the 20+ properties we looked at were pet friendly.

In fact when we found the place we wanted the landlords had scheduled it for total redecoration and new carpeting... When we told them about the dogs they changed the colour scheme so we now have brown carpets instead of the light beige that was before and was to be again...
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:39 pm
UK is Home

Heres hoping that Perth is the same and it aint to hard to find somewhere that we can all settle in and reasonably priced

I`m sure ( hope) that we get loads more views on this as its a big issue right now as i can do a bit of Flapping now and then and also dont need to pay a massive unnecessary rent

Originally Posted by rodders39
Don't know if Perth is any different but here in Sydney we had no problems finding accommodation that took dogs. I'd say it was obvious that 30% of the 20+ properties we looked at were pet friendly.

In fact when we found the place we wanted the landlords had scheduled it for total redecoration and new carpeting... When we told them about the dogs they changed the colour scheme so we now have brown carpets instead of the light beige that was before and was to be again...
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Hello there
i think i am also in the same boat as your self . i have two dogs and hope to be going next year. one dog is to old would not be fair to take him(hopeing my mom and dad will take him) and do we take the other 9 years old sheep dog. i would like to but £2600 to take her mm we have not got the money and also can we get some place that will take dogs in rentals??? but then if my wife wants to come back it will also cost a bomb??? what do you do. i love my dogs BUT i think if you can give them a good home ( my brother i hope) than thats good but if no one wants them what do you do ??
cant say hope this helps because im in the same boat
all the best
Dave
Old Nov 4th 2006, 1:21 am
Red Devil

angec has a spectacular aura aboutangec has a spectacular aura aboutangec has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mad.chef
Hello there
i think i am also in the same boat as your self . i have two dogs and hope to be going next year. one dog is to old would not be fair to take him(hopeing my mom and dad will take him) and do we take the other 9 years old sheep dog. i would like to but £2600 to take her mm we have not got the money and also can we get some place that will take dogs in rentals??? but then if my wife wants to come back it will also cost a bomb??? what do you do. i love my dogs BUT i think if you can give them a good home ( my brother i hope) than thats good but if no one wants them what do you do ??
all the best
Dave
Well, we left our little girl over there(Staffy bull terrier) And i honestly think having her here would have made settling for me a lot easier. For us there was a few issues we weighed up 1) The money issue, 2) the fact that my sister had recently lost her dog and really wanted her 3) that she was white, with a lot of pink skin showing and well, I had a 1 year old baby at the time and it was a big enough job making sure he was covered in sun cream.
The rental we had would not have taken dogs , but there are some that do. She lives with my sister, well, she's now my sisters dog, lets face it, and it's sad but she is one of the things I've missed most and am looking forward to seeing when we go back to visit. We have now got a dog here(big sloppy golden retriever), but we waited 18 months to do so. I can't see us ever moving back but if we ever do I would take him with us.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 2:01 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I love dogs. I would love to get one here. But from what we looked at for places to stay. All stated no pets. So we will wait. But there has got to be places that allow animals.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 2:08 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of places that allow pets, just skip the ones that say definitively "No Pets" and make sure that you ask when you ring. Typically (here in Perth anyway) you need to pay an extra $100.00 on your bond to cover any flea bombing or extra cleaning that the dog MAY cause a need for.

Siren
Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:28 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad.chef
Hello there
all the best
Dave

look at my post here..........
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...26#post3663726

we applied for 4 rentals, told them all we had an óutside' dog (who has never lived outside in her life!!!). got offered just the one rental. everything is fine, dog lives outside during the day, in the garage at night. we dont pay any extra on rent for having a dog. most people have one.

as you can see by my thread, we too deliberated over bringing her. must say, it is one of the best things we have done.

most rentals places are fine about dogs. be honest (ish ), tell them it is an outside dog. our dog doesnt like to be inside now.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

From our experience, most rentals will take dogs if you are prepared to negotiate.We managed to find a lovely rental that said wouldn't take pets, but we urged the agent to contact the landlord and ask if we paid double bond :scared: could we keep a pet? They said yes straight away..so now thousand's $$$$$ lighter, we are happy in a rental we wanted with the dog!!
No worries............

Also, I agree with the poster about the dog helping you to settle....well, it did me anyway, and also everyone speaks to you when you are walking the dog, so a good way to meet potential mates.