Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Find Perth People Very Clicky

Find Perth People Very Clicky

Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Find Perth People Very Clicky

Originally Posted by Jimmy Choo
Anyone find the born and bred Perthies a bit on the funny side, bordering on the unfriendly? When we first arrived here, we made the conscious effort to stay in an “Aussie” suburb as we really wanted to absorb ourselves in the Aussie culture. We only knew of one other Brit family in the suburb and at the local school. We found that despite us extending many invites to bbq’s and other social gatherings, we never got invites back. Conversations always went one way, with a short response and no attempt to extend the conversation. We are the most open and friendly family you will meet and love other people's company, but it was all one way.

At any social gathering we did get invited to, I could set my watch on the time it would take for someone to talk about their investment properties or how big their house was. Boring. I then made the decision I would not attend any gathering where it would be full of Perthies as it was it was like pulling teeth, and with a severe lack of humoiuhumourt get me wrong, I have met lots of nice Aussies, but most seem to come from the eastern states, where I feel they tend to be a bit more real and have a bit more depth. I have even met many Aussies from the eastern states who have told me they even felt like strangers in their own country when they come to Perth. We have made lots of effort to integrate but it's as if people just won't let you in, as you weren't part of the circles of friends they went to school with.

The Perthies sneer at the fact all the Poms live in the northern suburbs, and I was also sneered at when we moved the family moved further north, but we would have led a lonely life otherwise if we were to rely on the Perthies inviting you into their social circles. We now live in a suburb that comprises a mixture of Brits, Europeans and South Africans, and I can tell you the people are much friendlier.
I don't know where you're from Jimmy, but wherever it is, can you honestly say that when you lived there you welcomed everyone you met openly into your social circle. Long standing residents of a place often have a long standing peer group and don't really feel the need to widen their circle. The Brits, Europeans and South Africans you say are much more welcoming are in the same position as you, new to the country and without that longstanding social circle so are much more open to forming new friendships.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I don't know where you're from Jimmy, but wherever it is, can you honestly say that when you lived there you welcomed everyone you met openly into your social circle. Long standing residents of a place often have a long standing peer group and don't really feel the need to widen their circle. The Brits, Europeans and South Africans you say are much more welcoming are in the same position as you, new to the country and without that longstanding social circle so are much more open to forming new friendships.
I hate it when people ruin a perfectly good thread with rationality and common sense.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I have Perth people very clicky and stand offish. Also know what the OP is talking about with their constant being better than the Jones's. When i worked in Perth CBD i got sneers because my sunnies were not designer. Or i didnt wear this or that. Funny thing was that because my OH is a artist / jeweller, she follows fashion trends a LOT. She doesnt buy or wear them, but its her job to know. She found the same people hilereous as they were wearing things that had been hot a couple of years ago in Europe and thinking they were the hight of style.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:40 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
I have Perth people very clicky and stand offish. Also know what the OP is talking about with their constant being better than the Jones's. When i worked in Perth CBD i got sneers because my sunnies were not designer. Or i didnt wear this or that. Funny thing was that because my OH is a artist / jeweller, she follows fashion trends a LOT. She doesnt buy or wear them, but its her job to know. She found the same people hilereous as they were wearing things that had been hot a couple of years ago in Europe and thinking they were the hight of style.
My husband has worked in CBD for 6 years and has never been sneered at. He doesn't wear designer clothes, we don't live in a flash suburb or drive a flash car (although we do both have $300 sunglasses ) I am not disputing these things happen but I sometimes wonder why all these things don't happen to us!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:43 am
Just Joined

starlight7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
My husband has worked in CBD for 6 years and has never been sneered at. He doesn't wear designer clothes, we don't live in a flash suburb or drive a flash car (although we do both have $300 sunglasses ) I am not disputing these things happen but I sometimes wonder why all these things don't happen to us!
Perth- nah- better in Melbourne. OK for a holiday on the way to Margaret River and the South West but a boring place.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starlight7
Perth- nah- better in Melbourne. OK for a holiday on the way to Margaret River and the South West but a boring place.
If you say so.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

There are two parallel Perth's in Australia I've gathered, one where most people live in and enjoy, the other is this boring isolated place full of arrogant stupid people who hate immigrants
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:14 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately there aren't enough left here for us let alone anyone else.

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
I do think we need to steal some of the QLD koalas and spread a few out in Perth, its only fair to share.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:37 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
There are two parallel Perth's in Australia I've gathered, one where most people live in and enjoy, the other is this boring isolated place full of arrogant stupid people who hate immigrants
Well that explains a lot but, if proven to be true, is going to make BE a far less entertaining place isn't it?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
the other is this boring isolated place full of arrogant stupid people
That's the one where most of the BE regulars live.....may explain why they are so bitter and angry all the time
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:36 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

And insecure, don't forget insecure.

Originally Posted by Grayling
That's the one where most of the BE regulars live.....may explain why they are so bitter and angry all the time
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
And insecure, don't forget insecure.
I thought that was a given
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:44 am
Banned

Mmm. yes I think you are right.

Originally Posted by Grayling
I thought that was a given
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably because you're too secure/mature to care or notice what shallow fools think.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Probably because you're too secure/mature to care or notice what shallow fools think.
a necessary quality if you live in Perth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.