British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Find Perth People Very Clicky (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/find-perth-people-very-clicky-739088/)

Jimmy Choo Nov 16th 2011 11:51 am

Find Perth People Very Clicky

Anyone find the born and bred Perthies a bit on the funny side, bordering on the unfriendly? When we first arrived here, we made the conscious effort to stay in an “Aussie” suburb as we really wanted to absorb ourselves in the Aussie culture. We only knew of one other Brit family in the suburb and at the local school. We found that despite us extending many invites to bbq’s and other social gatherings, we never got invites back. Conversations always went one way, with a short response and no attempt to extend the conversation. We are the most open and friendly family you will meet and love other people's company, but it was all one way.

At any social gathering we did get invited to, I could set my watch on the time it would take for someone to talk about their investment properties or how big their house was. Boring. I then made the decision I would not attend any gathering where it would be full of Perthies as it was it was like pulling teeth, and with a severe lack of humoiuhumourt get me wrong, I have met lots of nice Aussies, but most seem to come from the eastern states, where I feel they tend to be a bit more real and have a bit more depth. I have even met many Aussies from the eastern states who have told me they even felt like strangers in their own country when they come to Perth. We have made lots of effort to integrate but it's as if people just won't let you in, as you weren't part of the circles of friends they went to school with.

The Perthies sneer at the fact all the Poms live in the northern suburbs, and I was also sneered at when we moved the family moved further north, but we would have led a lonely life otherwise if we were to rely on the Perthies inviting you into their social circles. We now live in a suburb that comprises a mixture of Brits, Europeans and South Africans, and I can tell you the people are much friendlier.

Cheetah7 Nov 16th 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Find Perth People Very Clicky

Nope, dont find them clicky at all.

fish.01 Nov 16th 2011 12:10 pm

Similar mix of people in most places I reckon...just down to personal circumstances/luck.

northernbird Nov 16th 2011 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmy Choo (Post 9736199)
Anyone find the born and bred Perthies a bit on the funny side, bordering on the unfriendly? When we first arrived here, we made the conscious effort to stay in an “Aussie” suburb as we really wanted to absorb ourselves in the Aussie culture. We only knew of one other Brit family in the suburb and at the local school. We found that despite us extending many invites to bbq’s and other social gatherings, we never got invites back. Conversations always went one way, with a short response and no attempt to extend the conversation. We are the most open and friendly family you will meet and love other people's company, but it was all one way.

At any social gathering we did get invited to, I could set my watch on the time it would take for someone to talk about their investment properties or how big their house was. Boring. I then made the decision I would not attend any gathering where it would be full of Perthies as it was it was like pulling teeth, and with a severe lack of humoiuhumourt get me wrong, I have met lots of nice Aussies, but most seem to come from the eastern states, where I feel they tend to be a bit more real and have a bit more depth. I have even met many Aussies from the eastern states who have told me they even felt like strangers in their own country when they come to Perth. We have made lots of effort to integrate but it's as if people just won't let you in, as you weren't part of the circles of friends they went to school with.

The Perthies sneer at the fact all the Poms live in the northern suburbs, and I was also sneered at when we moved the family moved further north, but we would have led a lonely life otherwise if we were to rely on the Perthies inviting you into their social circles. We now live in a suburb that comprises a mixture of Brits, Europeans and South Africans, and I can tell you the people are much friendlier.

No, have a good mix of both Australians and British. My bestest (is that a word!) friends are born and bred Trigg area. We have been welcomed into their circle of friends with no questions about how much money, property etc etc.

Cheetah7 Nov 16th 2011 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 9736264)
No, have a good mix of both Australians and British. My bestest (is that a word!) friends are born and bred Trigg area. We have been welcomed into their circle of friends with no questions about how much money, property etc etc.

We live in a different Perth NB, the likes of you, me, Gobbyjock, Dorothy and everyone else that likes it here - we live in a parallel universe.

I saw that Peter Kay clip on Youtube - with the shovel, bloody funny.:thumbsup:

moneypenny20 Nov 16th 2011 12:26 pm

What's this, Bitch About Perth Week? :lol:

Cheetah7 Nov 16th 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9736280)

Think it must be, I am pissed off because we dont have kangaroos hopping down the road and where the bloody hell are the koalas? You have them, why cant we?:sneaky:

Pollyana Nov 16th 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9736280)

Looking that way isn't it :D Where shall we pick for next week?
:popcorn:

northernbird Nov 16th 2011 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9736282)

Polly, it's bitch about Perth millennium. There are more threads about Perth than any other place in the whole wide world!!!!!

moneypenny20 Nov 16th 2011 12:32 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go, two in Perth (thread). :lol:

Cheetah7 Nov 16th 2011 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9736282)

I think it should remain Perth, but Rockingham hasnt had a bashing for a few days has it?

And if possible, could we have the 'I want rolling hills and culture' type threads followed by 'I have seen more culture in a yoghurt pot'

Then we can have someone post 'If you want greenery, go to Denmark or Marg. River'

Then someone can predictably post the rolley eyes smilie and say 'Our hills roll better in England'

Then people come along with popcorn, throw it at one another, Bruce and Sheila can come along and tell us all how secretly miserable we all are, Grayling can tell us all that we are clinically depressed, then Moneypenny can brag about her koalas and kookaburras when Bruce and Sheila moan about the lack of wildlife, you can talk about your bushfires and I will tell the world I am getting a waxing.

And whilst that is going on, Dorothy and Eddie can do crowd control and Gobbyjock can round up the tartan army.

Then the thread gets closed.:lol:

Pollyana Nov 16th 2011 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 9736291)
Polly, it's bitch about Perth millennium. There are more threads about Perth than any other place in the whole wide world!!!!!

Its pretty stunning actually isn't it - I have to admit I have an urge to visit Perth purely to see what all the fuss is about :lol:

Cheetah7 Nov 16th 2011 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9736294)
Its pretty stunning actually isn't it - I have to admit I have an urge to visit Perth purely to see what all the fuss is about :lol:

I demand that you do, you can stay with me and Mr PP can make you dinner.

al150n Nov 16th 2011 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 9736264)

We're much the same as you Northernbird but with a few South Africans thrown in too. Have always been made to feel very welcome.

Alison x

moneypenny20 Nov 16th 2011 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah7 (Post 9736293)
then Moneypenny can brag about her koalas

Ooops:rofl: