Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Financially better off?

Wikiposts

Financially better off?

Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:31 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Financially better off?

I can honestly say that after reading this post, and your other one that it does seem as though you really WANT to live in Australia (more to live near your father).
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630943

To me it looks like you are trying to find additional reasons to go there, like being financially better off. I should also add that the salaries quoted in the other thread for the surveyor are likely mining salaries. Which means you could live in Perth but you'd be on a strict fly in fly out schedule and would be awawy from home at least half of the time. It's a great salary but if you want flexible living close to home you'd be looking at a lot less money.

If I were you I'd come on your holiday and try to get a feel for the place. If you love it and actually feel a pull to come here then you'll be on the right track. Right now though it just doesn't seem as though you really want to come here for yourself.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:26 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnny DT
I am looking to move to Perth.

My salary in the UK (£40k) is about double the national average. In Australia someone in my job would earn $120k - $150k, which I understand is about double the national average. This would therefore suggest that I'm not better off. However if I earn £40k in the Uk, but earn £65k in Oz ($130,000), and the cost of living is about the same, then suggests that I should be better off.....

I know it's not simple, but broadly speaking based on the above am I going to be better off financially?
Take it from me no you will not be financially better off.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Zambia
Unless of course they happen to be one of the ones who actually are...

We can't really tell without knowing their exact circumstances, and even then we can't be sure.

Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be too rough on the original poster for asking the question. Most of us wouldn't plan a move just for sunnier skies and wider open spaces (although I'm sure some of us would!)

I've been struggling with the same questions and doubts as the OP as well - except I know for a fact that I'd probably be looking at an income reduction of more than 90% of my existing income at present! And while the projected Australian income will still be 'more than double the average Australian male income of $69,997 per annum', it's still a frigging huge whack to the system!

Based on that fact alone, no amount of open spaces, additional UV radiation or pristine beaches could possibly entice me to make my move - but yet, that small voice in my head keeps telling me there's gotta be more to life than just taking home a wheelbarrow of cash, month after month, year after year... or is there?

I know for sure that I will be financially worse off after the move Would you guys still plan a move then, given a similar situation?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:59 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
......Would you guys still plan a move then, given a similar situation?
Yep, I did. As long as you manage your expectations and know this will be the case, no worries mate
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be. I am.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'm not sure it's right to say that there's no free medical care. I've had loads of 'free' medical care here. Also, I would have also thought that someone on $50k with kids would have had access to a Health Card which gives access to free dental for kids.
And due to the ridiculous, nanny state tax system in Australia, you would be paying virtually no tax on that amount either.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:12 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I am - by a big margin too.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The people I know that retire young and then do exactly what they want with the rest of their lives, all live worked and reside in London.

There are at least 5 people in that position under the age of 50 on my London board.

Personally If I knew and went through with my life, I would probably from a financial point of view stayed working in the City of London. I reckon I could/would/should have been retired by now. My Father retired at age 55, he was a council worker all his life... He did manage to buy up his 3 of his Aunts and Uncles council houses at that 60pct reduced rate and let them live in it rent free. Plus he got paid out of the MKDC (Milton Keynes Development Corporation) on a full pension (30 years pension) 12 years before his retirement....one of the first ever to get a redundancy package, they must have been experimenting in the late 80's......I've still got at least 9 years of work in front of me.

I'd stay in the place that made me free from work the soonest, as long as that place was palatable.

I wonder if London really does beat and will continue to outperform those other financial centers ..... Dubai/Hong Kong/New York, with it's ratio of early retirees. Seems that way from my readings. According to this 2 year old article the average wage in the Square Mile was over 50,000 pounds. With the Average Across the whole of London being over 41,000 pounds.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/markets...9&in_page_id=3

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-149519076.html

Hands up any retiree on these boards that is under 50

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 17th 2009 at 6:14 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And due to the ridiculous, nanny state tax system in Australia, you would be paying virtually no tax on that amount either.
Yet the post I was responding to was suggesting that it is not nannyish enough.

You had to push it, didn't you?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Hands up any retiree on these boards that is under 50
I was

I have gone back to work though ....by choice.....and I am no longer under 50

G
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I was

I have gone back to work though ....by choice.....and I am no longer under 50

G
Seems like their could be a greater ratio in the UK than here in Aus.

My cousin in Crawley exactly same poisition Retired just on 50 as Company Secretary at Bunge ..... although he has taken on some part time accounting work for friends in Crawley... Owns property around the world, which he reguarly visits.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Seems like their could be a greater ratio in the UK than here in Aus.
You are probably right

It depends on individual circumstances.

Many of the conditions which allowed early retirement have gone.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't know what to do with the rest of my life, if I didn't work - and that's the truth. I'd be bored sh1tless! Having said that, I'm one of those aiming for retirement come the golden 50. I'd rather be retired and bored sh1tless than to die at work full of it!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
All the scenery and weather in the world won't make a difference if you don't have a pot to piss in. If you have a family in tow then your potential earnings have to be right up there as one of the first things to think about.
I know exactly what I need to live on in Australia thankyou, I am only saying that we all have very different expectations, mine may be different to yours or the OP, some are lead by money but are unhappy in Australia even with their very high wage, and some are only earning the bare minimum and survive fine and enjoy life over there! I agree all the sun in the world wont pay the bills, hence why I stated I only need enough for bills/food etc!

Bluekipper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.