Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Financial Advice in Oz (QLD)...where do I even start??

Financial Advice in Oz (QLD)...where do I even start??

Old Dec 16th 2016, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default Financial Advice in Oz (QLD)...where do I even start??

Hi Guys

I need to get some financial advice re investing some money in Australia.

I would like to invest in something relatively safe which will produce some kind of income (rather than long-term yield). I have thought about buy-to-lets and that's it.

I am very suspicious of financial advisors (are they not like estate agents?).....so where would I start re choosing someone to advise me? It would also be valuable to me that the person knew about investing in the UK too.

It all seems like a bit of a minefield, has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 17th 2016, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Advice in Oz (QLD)...where do I even start??

Speak to your personal banker as a start? Or, you could speak to your close friends & family if you prefer.

To give proper advice of any kind, the advisor would need to know some rather intimate financial details that you might not be comfy revealing on an open forum. How much money are you talking about? What's your risk appetite? Bonds vs properties vs structured products? Capital guaranteed vs capital protected? What's your present income stream?

Not the kind of answers you wanna bandy about on the internet, methinks.

Good luck!
Old Dec 17th 2016, 8:20 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a tax agent who assists with your tax returns?

Maybe speak with Chrissy Redwood at GM Tax? Tax and Accounting Solutions for Individuals and Businesses in UK and Australia

Best regards.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

You should also ask the advisor if they are linked to the 100% risk free private companies with 10% + returns

Risk free because those companies have been evaluated by insurance companies with whom offer specific policies to protect investors and creditors in case of financial impairment.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 6:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parnell
You should also ask the advisor if they are linked to the 100% risk free private companies with 10% + returns

Risk free because those companies have been evaluated by insurance companies with whom offer specific policies to protect investors and creditors in case of financial impairment.
That sounds odd to me as I don't believe there's any '100% risk free private companies with 10%+ returns', or that any insurance company will offer an investor insurance that will see them recover all their funds if their investment goes bust. Investment in any service or commodity carries an element of risk.

If I'm wrong I'd be interested to see links to such companies.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That sounds odd to me as I don't believe there's any '100% risk free private companies with 10%+ returns', or that any insurance company will offer an investor insurance that will see them recover all their funds if their investment goes bust. Investment in any service or commodity carries an element of risk.

True. Even if you are investing in a bank, (which you do by leaving money in a bank account) if that bank goes under, could be a bit of a nightmare to get your money back.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

I'd be interested in anything close to the above.......seems a bit too good to be true I'd love to hear that I am wrong
Old Dec 17th 2016, 10:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
I'd be interested in anything close to the above.......seems a bit too good to be true I'd love to hear that I am wrong
Beware anyone offering to sell you a ticket to see a Unicorn.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a financial advisor so are not intending to direct any investment advice or options to you. This is based on my own experience.

Recently invested $500k into a company through financial advisor introduction. The relevance is the company had succeeded in a regimental evaluation by insurance provider with result of having the financial impairment clause removed. This equates to any stuff up by management my investment is covered. Hens teeth policy and yes I did DD with insurance company. In my opinion 99% of companies would not meet the requirements as its very demanding.

Its been around for 3 years so if your financial advisor is not up with it?
Old Dec 17th 2016, 11:57 pm
Concierge

I am not a financial advisor so are not intending to direct any investment advice or options to you. This is based on my own experience.

Recently invested $500k into a company through financial advisor introduction. The relevance is the company had succeeded in a regimental evaluation by insurance provider with result of having the financial impairment clause removed. This equates to any stuff up by management my investment is covered. Hens teeth policy and yes I did DD with insurance company. In my opinion 99% of companies would not meet the requirements as its very demanding.

Sorry, I don't get what you mean by
the company had succeeded in a regimental evaluation by insurance provider with result of having the financial impairment clause removed. This equates to any stuff up by management my investment is covered

Would be grateful if you could explain what a 'regimental evaluation' is, and which insurance company and investment company you're talking about.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't understand how what you've said above equates to a 100% risk free private companies with 10% + returns If you mean that you have insurance against negligence or unlawful actions by the managers of the investment company, that's still not a guarantee that your investment will make a 10%+ return, or even a guarantee that won't make a cent or actually lose money.

I'm quite happy with my financial affairs, but thank you for the advice

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Dec 18th 2016 at 12:01 am.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Beware anyone offering to sell you a ticket to see a Unicorn.
Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Many years ago, when I was but a young sapling, I was enticed by a certain South Australian gentleman (no, not in *that* way) who regaled me with tales of "iron-clad" returns and "risk-free" investments, by "diversifying" the purchases into "precious metals" and "stocks & bonds" - and a lot of other really big words that I didn't (and still don't) understand.

Well, to cut a long story short, I ended up $100,000 poorer, and I never heard from that man ever again.

I now swear by the adage: "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually isn't".
Old Dec 19th 2016, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

How did you choose your financial advisor? Thanks
Old Dec 20th 2016, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

How did you choose your financial advisor? Thanks
Hi Jack

I filtered my LinkedIn connections and interviewed three locally based advisors.

Of three, two were guys (blokes, boys club dickheads)
one was a 30 year old female, who was diligent and wealthy in her own right through hard work and clever investing.

PM you her details
Old Dec 20th 2016, 7:39 am
Concierge

Oh well, I tried
Old Dec 20th 2016, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh well, I tried
So did I...