Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any of you get insurance for engagement rings, etc., for your own transit?

Any of you get insurance for engagement rings, etc., for your own transit?

Old Dec 19th 2016, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

stevelancaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any of you get insurance for engagement rings, etc., for your own transit?

Travel insurance covers very little, contents insurance ends when you leave and doesn't begin until you've moved in somewhere and taken out a contents policy.

So did any of you manage to take out insurance for things like engagement rings, watches, other expensive items for your travel to Aus and any holiday along the way?
Old Dec 20th 2016, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any of you get insurance for engagement rings, etc., for your own transit?

Originally Posted by stevelancaster
Travel insurance covers very little, contents insurance ends when you leave and doesn't begin until you've moved in somewhere and taken out a contents policy.

So did any of you manage to take out insurance for things like engagement rings, watches, other expensive items for your travel to Aus and any holiday along the way?
I believe my contents insurance covered it in and out of the house. Its a separate listed item with an insured value.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

stevelancaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any of you get insurance for engagement rings, etc., for your own transit?

Originally Posted by Beoz
I believe my contents insurance covered it in and out of the house. Its a separate listed item with an insured value.
Which contents insurance? You would have left your old house and not started at a new one?
Old Dec 21st 2016, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Which contents insurance? You would have left your old house and not started at a new one?
You are right. It couldn't have been contents. I can't recall off top of my head but I know we got some insurance for the travel and then the month we stayed in a serviced apartment.

Thinking about it now I may have gone to an insurer who was prepared to do country moves for a limited time. Let me have a think about what we did and who it was with.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK. Just checked through some old emails. What I did in the end was use the UK contents insurance right up until date of departure, use travel insurance for the trip, got a months contents insurance registered to the serviced apartment, then got new contents insurance when we found a place.

Bit of a ball ache, but that's the go. I did have a number of emails to insurance brokers and the like and I couldn't find anyone willing to do the whole lot.

Just check the catch on the travels on route. I seem to remember there being a few rejections if you weren't travelling back to the UK after departing as you no longer had a UK address.

For the months worth of contents insurance I used Allianz then rolled it into the new address when I found a place.