Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally decided to leave Australia...

Finally decided to leave Australia...

Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:06 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally decided to leave Australia...

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
No - when we were considering buying in Perth we'd be bringing 200 from our UK house sale.
Oh, right. Our mortgage here is huge and it has been a constant obstacle in allowing us to enjoy the Australian lifestyle and with the recent interest rate hikes it seems we've gone backwards.

I changed jobs and went contracting in an attempt to ease the cost of life but we seem to be back at square one right now.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Oh, right. Our mortgage here is huge and it has been a constant obstacle in allowing us to enjoy the Australian lifestyle and with the recent interest rate hikes it seems we've gone backwards.

I changed jobs and went contracting in an attempt to ease the cost of life but we seem to be back at square one right now.
I've even thought about going to the mines! But then you really do question what it is all about - 15 years of experience, a masters, 2 post grad diplomas and I'd be cleaning canteens and not seeing my family!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover
Here is a question from a "Never have been to Oz" poster.

The cost of living is obviously either the same or higher in Oz in comparison to the UK, mainly due to the lack of competition along with other variables?

To buy a house, a second hand car, broadband internet, taxation in genaral, all seem to be higher in Oz?

How the hell do locals survive, i mean 18 to 30 year old's born and bred Australians, how do they pay the mortgage, pay the rent, live in general, buy a second hand car, how, what do they earn?

I ask because with all these housing equity cashed up Poms arriving over the past five years, which have obviously contributed to lifting the cost of houses, maybe cars, taking jobs etc etc?

Do you think that they feel a little bit p!ssed off maybe, i do not know, but it cannot be easy for anyone? Any thoughts?

Cheers.
My OH works with a couple of twenty something Aussies. To them 'cashed up poms' would be who? what? They rent their homes and have no desire to give up buying the latest gadgets in order to save because they believe it's beyond their reach to buy a house at the moment. I think it's a wee bit arrogant to think that a FEW 'cashed up poms' are keeping ordinary Aussies from getting their own homes!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:23 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck mate
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:25 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

The interest rates are one of the reasons we are leaving. Infact it has got to the stage where we can't afford to live here anymore. Maybe in time things will calm down, but being caught up in the middle of all the madness is very unsettling all the time.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
but being caught up in the middle of all the madness is very unsettling all the time.
Certainly is. It's been difficult to hold my nerve and not commit to buying something I'd later regret.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:48 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
The interest rates are one of the reasons we are leaving. Infact it has got to the stage where we can't afford to live here anymore. Maybe in time things will calm down, but being caught up in the middle of all the madness is very unsettling all the time.
I've stooped to the level of having a couple of Strepsils for lunch, so we can save money.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

I've stooped to the level of having a couple of Strepsils for lunch, so we can save money.
Hahahahahah!!!!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:13 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Perhaps you immigrated partly for the wrong reasons in the first place.
The "wrong" reasons for whom? What are the right reasons? I'm always intrigued by this right reason/wrong reason issue. Who decides what is right or wrong for whom?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

We are thinking of leaving after just 6 months here because of costs of housing etc. Our original plan when we were going through the visa process was to buy here and keep the house in the UK as an investment. This was possible back then when we first applied as houses were half the price and the cost of living was less. Even if we sold up in the UK it wouldn't make much of a difference to a mortgage here. If we stay we have no choice but to rent and even doing this costs more than our mortgage in UK and our wages here would be less. For us, moving here has made us worse off all round. The goal posts have changed and the dream is no longer accessible for us.

I know money isn't everything but it helps you feel happy knowing you are financially secure and can afford life's little luxuries. We could stay to get the passport but at the end of the day is it all worth it and would we come back and use it anyway? If I want a lifestyle change and good weather maybe I should consider Europe in my old age. I keep forgetting that even though Australia is a beautiful country it's not the only country. The world is a big place and maybe somewhere else can offer us sunshine, lifestyle and value for money.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lisas
We could stay to get the passport but at the end of the day is it all worth it and would we come back and use it anyway? .
I hope my kids appreciate their Aussie passports. For us they are probably the most expensive passports in the world!

We are now paying more than twice as much in rent here in Perth than our mortgage in the UK. (Similar house to the UK albeit slightly larger and with a swimming pool), same type of suburb - although I would argue that the one in the UK was slightly more attractive (and that was pretty dull in itself!)

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Apr 29th 2008 at 3:00 am. Reason: typo
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

Exactly! I've been considering staying so my non-existent kids have the chance of coming here in the future.

No seriously, I don't mind the place, but I liked the UK to. It's a shame not to get citizenship, but it's not the end of the world if I don't. If my partner's not happy and it's not financially viable then why am I still here?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by melbournegirl
This is the most sensible reply I have read on this topic. Totally agree with you.
Ty, however, I don't know the circumstances and NKSK seems more than capable, so its best he takes all these comments, including mine, with a pinch of salt, then makes up his own mind. Good luck NKSK, but I suppose you don't need it with your two year safety net, good job on that
Old May 1st 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melbournegirl
If you come with a negative attitude then you will find fault wherever you look.
Most people, including myself, came with and still try to maintain a positive attitude and make the best of any situation.

Unfortunately, as I am beginning to find out, you can't go on kidding yourself that something is great when it isn't - even though you so desperately want something to work.

Sometimes you have to accept that no matter what level of planning and research you have done, the reality is very different to the expectation.
Old May 1st 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
Most people, including myself, came with and still try to maintain a positive attitude and make the best of any situation.

Unfortunately, as I am beginning to find out, you can't go on kidding yourself that something is great when it isn't - even though you so desperately want something to work.

Sometimes you have to accept that no matter what level of planning and research you have done, the reality is very different to the expectation.
Exactly. I can't imagine too many people think "I know let's spend years applying for visas, sell our house, chuck tens of thousands of pounds at the process, uproot our kids, say goodbye to lifelong friends and family and thrust ourselves into the unknown in terms of jobs, house, schools, culture etc" unless they had a pretty positive attitude about the whole thing!

Some people assume that because they love it, there is something wrong with others who don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.