Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally decided to leave Australia...

Finally decided to leave Australia...

Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:35 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Finally decided to leave Australia...

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Bloody hell, I didn't even mention my number one concern...!

The parlous state of secondary education here. The perfect storm of a disinterested government, poorly educated teachers, a lack of teacher and school accountability, hopelessly disorganised (and riddled with vested interests) dept for education and a bloated curriculum council with no direction.
Agreed. But SME won't.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you've answered everyone's questions Assume the family feel the same. Hope you find the job you want, when you want. If I felt as you do, I'd get out too but I'm glad I don't.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Sorry all - nipped out to Bunnings!

OK - where to start...?

I've always been ambivalent about Australia. It's certainly a great place but it never quite does it for me. I don't have the enthusiasm of many on here.
Increasingly I'm getting to the stage when I can't see the point in being here.

Well, I do know, the weather is fantastic - which admittedly leads to lots of other good things. It is truly great for young families.

But the downsides are significant and I think I've got to the point when I can no longer justify taking the negatives for the few positives.

Ultimately, the downsides for us are financial and lifestyle.

In terms of finance, I cannot now see any benefit in staying here. Salaries other than in the mining sector (and possibly the trades if you own your own business) are hopelessly poor. At least they are in education. There is little hope that education salaries will increase under this state government (indeed I think the status of teachers here is unbelievably low) and promotion opportunities are relatively rare due to the size of the population (senior management positions here are also poorly paid and I'm not sure they are worth the stress).

House prices are certainly lower than a year ago but are still overpriced in my view for what you get. Quality in general is poor and houses that are affordable for average salary earners are often in truly bland suburbs. When I arrived in Perth I could not understand what was meant by a "nice suburb" (with the exception of the obvious river suburbs). Nearly 3 years later and I still can't see the difference between Kingsley, Padbury, Craigie, Joondalup, Willeton, Duncraig, Carine - even City Beach etc etc - they are all as bland as grey paint. I sometimes sit in my front room looking at the dull houses out of the window and really question what I'm doing here. I do now understand why ""Sea glimpses" are such selling points. They dilute the blandness.

The dollar is strong so bringing cash over gives you a paper loss compared with when we did our calculations. Mortgage rates at 10% are truly unbelievable. Interest rates are unlikely to go down soon.

I'm also increasingly frustrated by vested interests in Australia. Real estate agents being the typical example. But pharmacists, doctors, trade organisations, Coles/Woolworths, trade union leaders, dentists, the AFL... I find it ironic that the so called fair-go psyche of Australia is constantly subjugated by the vested interests of these groups. Aussies don’t seem to realise this. Or choose to ignore the irony.

I’m fed up of local politicians being unable to string a coherent sentence together. Yesterday I heard the mayor of Perth stating categorically that ”isn’t it amazing that the Australians with a population of 20 million have managed to get their currency to near parity with the US dollar – a country with 180 million?.”. Can you believe that somebody in such an influential position could say this? Is it any wonder that you can’t buy a loaf of bread in Perth on Sunday or after 5pm mid-week? WA has an amazing opportunity to be a world leader in so many areas – health, education, infrastructure – and yet with the group of baboons running the place it remains a completely mismanaged administration.

I’m tired of the parochialism. Sick of hearing “Australia is God” comments. Fed up of the undercurrent of anti-Islamic comment here (no, I'm not muslim, neither is my wife)

So where to go? Anywhere really. I know that many of the issues I’ve raised above are present in many other countries but I’m now struggling to find any compelling reason to stay in Australia to suffer the issues. I’ve just returned from Singapore which gave me a yearning again for SE Asia (Vash, let me stop you, I know that Singapore is an authoritarian state where you can’t fart without permission etc etc etc). At least abroad I’d get my accommodation paid for and I’d be financially much better off. You can ignore a lot of issues if you’re paid enough (which is why some of the miners stay in WA).

I’m not in a desperate rush to leave. But the last week has been a kind of epiphany for me. Life is too short to spend it sitting in a non-descript suburb of Perth looking at the blue sky.

Reading your post was very emotional to me, it brought back lot's of memories,

I emigrated with my family to the gold coast in 1981. My father (British) Mother(Aussie) felt it was the best place to bring up a family.

However, my father never settled and over a period of 6 very long years spirralled into depression, which coupled with alcohol, affected the whole family.

He should of made the descsion long before he did but eventually moved back to uk with my brother in 1987 my mum and I followed in 1988.

He died in 1996 aged 53, but was never the same man, and it was not the fault of anyone or thing but it just shows that you have to "fit" in the country you choose to call home.

I read many posts about people not settling and it breaks my heart because I worry that behind the lines is another person breaking down.

NB by no means and I comparing the OP to this situation.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably not the same as many on here. Homesickness is not an issue.

The UK is not my preferred destination.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

I'm sorry I did'nt mean to imply your in the same situation.

It was just the way you spoke about the education system and politicians sparked a few memories.

My father was most definitely homesick.

He was an ex public school boy, very english. Also missing his identical twin brother did'nt help.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

" ...vested interests in Australia. Real estate agents being the typical example. But pharmacists, doctors, trade organisations, Coles/Woolworths, trade union leaders, dentists, the AFL... I find it ironic that the so called fair-go psyche of Australia is constantly subjugated by the vested interests of these groups. Aussies don’t seem to realise this. Or choose to ignore the irony."

So true. I work in health and the brazen pursuit of self interest by groups like the AMA and the Pharmacy Guild just takes my breath away. I also find it odd that the "fair go" Aussies don't object to private schools and private hospitals getting massive (and I mean billions) taxpayer subsidies.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael_w
" ...vested interests in Australia. Real estate agents being the typical example. But pharmacists, doctors, trade organisations, Coles/Woolworths, trade union leaders, dentists, the AFL... I find it ironic that the so called fair-go psyche of Australia is constantly subjugated by the vested interests of these groups. Aussies don’t seem to realise this. Or choose to ignore the irony."

So true. I work in health and the brazen pursuit of self interest by groups like the AMA and the Pharmacy Guild just takes my breath away. I also find it odd that the "fair go" Aussies don't object to private schools and private hospitals getting massive (and I mean billions) taxpayer subsidies.
I was talking to a doctor the other week about the pharmacists. Their power - at the expense of the patient - is truly gobsmacking.

For me the whole thing is linked to the "whinging pom" soubriquet. Australians either can't be arsed, cannot see or refuse to see the fact that they get shafted on many occasions. When people point out the inequities of the situation I don't know which of the above drives them but the issue often goes into the too hard basket with "whinging pom" attached.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:55 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

....not tomorrow but from now I am actively looking for work overseas.

Could take a year or more before the ideal job appears (or could take a week!) but at least I've decided.

A recent trip abroad and the return here finally did it for me!
NKSK version 2,

Good luck, very brave of you to post such a thread on here, as it would make you a prime target for being lynched, but i have to say good post, good thread, nice to hear the other side of the coin, facts or peoples negative opinions of Australia that are sometimes not discussed more frequently on here. Cheers for the heads up, and good luck, at least you bought a ticket to the party, some do not even make it to the ticket shop!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brendarover
NKSK version 2,

Good luck, very brave of you to post such a thread on here, as it would make you a prime target for being lynched, but i have to say good post, good thread, nice to hear the other side of the coin, facts or peoples negative opinions of Australia that are sometimes not discussed more frequently on here. Cheers for the heads up, and good luck, at least you bought a ticket to the party, some do not even make it to the ticket shop!
Thanks. I have to say that after 3 years of posting I'm not too concerned about what people say.

And I enjoy the debate!!

Don't forget that I prefaced my post by saying that Australia is a great place to be! (or words to that effect)
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:15 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Fed up of the undercurrent of anti-Islamic comment here (no, I'm not muslim, neither is my wife)
Administrations across the globe especially in western countries are purposely stirring up racial hatred against the Muslim religion, it is a disgrace, an absolute disgrace, but people have to recognise that there is no gain to discrimination against a different colour or religion. I just hope people are intelligent enough to recognise this and not jump on the bandwagon.

There is good and bad in every race, colour and religion.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Come to the UK....bland homes, small homes, expensive ++ homes, electric prices high enough to buy a small car (£1000pa), same with gas prices (£1000pa), £1100pa council tax (rates), UL fuel @ £1.10/litre - diesel @ £1.20/litre, tax on top of tax - the list goes on. Basically, I don't have much of a quality of life as I have to do all the overtime available just to pay the bills. I have to rent as I cannot afford a mortgage and never will even though I do earn decent money.

The grass isn't always greener
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:25 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to a doctor the other week about the pharmacists. Their power - at the expense of the patient - is truly gobsmacking.

For me the whole thing is linked to the "whinging pom" soubriquet. Australians either can't be arsed, cannot see or refuse to see the fact that they get shafted on many occasions. When people point out the inequities of the situation I don't know which of the above drives them but the issue often goes into the too hard basket with "whinging pom" attached.
Haven't posted on here for a while, but I must say that is possibly the most spot on post I've read.....................just substitute the country name and this famous sketch seems a bit relevant................

"Go back to bed Australia, your goverment is in control. Here, here's Gladiators. Watch this, shut up, go back to bed Australia, here's Gladiators, here's 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their f***ing skulls together and congratulate you on the living in the land of the free. Here you go Australia - you are free to do what well tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!"

Right where's the Ten late news, I need more neurons melted..............
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Secondary education- this is one of the MAIN reasons why we left.

Most of your comments in the previous post also make sense to me.

Good Luck!

Bloody hell, I didn't even mention my number one concern...!

The parlous state of secondary education here. The perfect storm of a disinterested government, poorly educated teachers, a lack of teacher and school accountability, hopelessly disorganised (and riddled with vested interests) dept for education and a bloated curriculum council with no direction.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry all - nipped out to Bunnings!

OK - where to start...?

I've always been ambivalent about Australia. It's certainly a great place but it never quite does it for me. I don't have the enthusiasm of many on here.
Increasingly I'm getting to the stage when I can't see the point in being here.

Well, I do know, the weather is fantastic - which admittedly leads to lots of other good things. It is truly great for young families.

But the downsides are significant and I think I've got to the point when I can no longer justify taking the negatives for the few positives.

Ultimately, the downsides for us are financial and lifestyle.

In terms of finance, I cannot now see any benefit in staying here. Salaries other than in the mining sector (and possibly the trades if you own your own business) are hopelessly poor. At least they are in education. There is little hope that education salaries will increase under this state government (indeed I think the status of teachers here is unbelievably low) and promotion opportunities are relatively rare due to the size of the population (senior management positions here are also poorly paid and I'm not sure they are worth the stress).

House prices are certainly lower than a year ago but are still overpriced in my view for what you get. Quality in general is poor and houses that are affordable for average salary earners are often in truly bland suburbs. When I arrived in Perth I could not understand what was meant by a "nice suburb" (with the exception of the obvious river suburbs). Nearly 3 years later and I still can't see the difference between Kingsley, Padbury, Craigie, Joondalup, Willeton, Duncraig, Carine - even City Beach etc etc - they are all as bland as grey paint. I sometimes sit in my front room looking at the dull houses out of the window and really question what I'm doing here. I do now understand why ""Sea glimpses" are such selling points. They dilute the blandness.

The dollar is strong so bringing cash over gives you a paper loss compared with when we did our calculations. Mortgage rates at 10% are truly unbelievable. Interest rates are unlikely to go down soon.

I'm also increasingly frustrated by vested interests in Australia. Real estate agents being the typical example. But pharmacists, doctors, trade organisations, Coles/Woolworths, trade union leaders, dentists, the AFL... I find it ironic that the so called fair-go psyche of Australia is constantly subjugated by the vested interests of these groups. Aussies don’t seem to realise this. Or choose to ignore the irony.

I’m fed up of local politicians being unable to string a coherent sentence together. Yesterday I heard the mayor of Perth stating categorically that ”isn’t it amazing that the Australians with a population of 20 million have managed to get their currency to near parity with the US dollar – a country with 180 million?.”. Can you believe that somebody in such an influential position could say this? Is it any wonder that you can’t buy a loaf of bread in Perth on Sunday or after 5pm mid-week? WA has an amazing opportunity to be a world leader in so many areas – health, education, infrastructure – and yet with the group of baboons running the place it remains a completely mismanaged administration.

I’m tired of the parochialism. Sick of hearing “Australia is God” comments. Fed up of the undercurrent of anti-Islamic comment here (no, I'm not muslim, neither is my wife)

So where to go? Anywhere really. I know that many of the issues I’ve raised above are present in many other countries but I’m now struggling to find any compelling reason to stay in Australia to suffer the issues. I’ve just returned from Singapore which gave me a yearning again for SE Asia (Vash, let me stop you, I know that Singapore is an authoritarian state where you can’t fart without permission etc etc etc). At least abroad I’d get my accommodation paid for and I’d be financially much better off. You can ignore a lot of issues if you’re paid enough (which is why some of the miners stay in WA).

I’m not in a desperate rush to leave. But the last week has been a kind of epiphany for me. Life is too short to spend it sitting in a non-descript suburb of Perth looking at the blue sky.

Thanks for posting the reasons.

Agree with all of it, much of it applies here too, the parochialism, the leadership the vested interests and the population being so lethargic about it all.

We wont be here for ever either, were 'settled' for now, but with one eye on opportunites elsewhere all the time.

Good luck to you and the family and for you honesty.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:10 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theotherphil
Come to the UK....bland homes, small homes, expensive ++ homes, electric prices high enough to buy a small car (£1000pa), same with gas prices (£1000pa), £1100pa council tax (rates), UL fuel @ £1.10/litre - diesel @ £1.20/litre, tax on top of tax - the list goes on. Basically, I don't have much of a quality of life as I have to do all the overtime available just to pay the bills. I have to rent as I cannot afford a mortgage and never will even though I do earn decent money.

The grass isn't always greener
Certainly isn't because if you can't afford a mortgage in the UK, you certainly won't in Australia.

My rates $2200pa. My electricity $2000pa and fuel now tipping $1.50 and $1.60 for diesel and on the rise with no sight of falling. Offset any possible saving on fuel against shorter service intervals and probably more anyhow thanks to the longer distances we have to drive.

Couple that with our interest rate of 9%, again with further interest rate increases coming. Oh yeah the minor point you will probably earn less than you do now.

All together moving to Australia for any financial reason is perhaps wildly optimistic at best and foolish at worst.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.