Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fibro people. Help!!!

Fibro people. Help!!!

Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fibro people. Help!!!

Ergh! We are having the worst nightmare after deciding to settle in Cleveland. We have 3 weeks before we havde to move out of our short term and can't find a rental anywhere close enough to the girls school. We then decided we would buy straight away as surely we can't lose even if we only stay for a year or two in that property. Thing is, we found a great place within walking distance to the town and schools but apparently you can't knock any walls down because they are made of fibro which is like asbestos?? :scared: Now PLEASE someone explain if this is normal in Oz houses and if so does it cost alot to get removed or do people just live with it? If we want this house we need to make an offer sharpish but the thought of living in an asbestos house scares me...HELP!
Kelly xx
Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:08 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Fibro people. Help!!!

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Ergh! We are having the worst nightmare after deciding to settle in Cleveland. We have 3 weeks before we havde to move out of our short term and can't find a rental anywhere close enough to the girls school. We then decided we would buy straight away as surely we can't lose even if we only stay for a year or two in that property. Thing is, we found a great place within walking distance to the town and schools but apparently you can't knock any walls down because they are made of fibro which is like asbestos?? :scared: Now PLEASE someone explain if this is normal in Oz houses and if so does it cost alot to get removed or do people just live with it? If we want this house we need to make an offer sharpish but the thought of living in an asbestos house scares me...HELP!
Kelly xx
Yes, old fibro houses often contain a proportion of asbestos. No, Australian houses are not normally made of fibro.

When I lived in Western Australia, I had a 1940s asbestos house (see attached). The presence of asbestos didn't worry me in the slightest, since I had no intention of breaking the walls and sniffing the asbestos dust.

Different states have different legislation regarding asbestos and fibro homes, but as a general rule of thumb, homeowners are permitted to knock down walls etc. provided that the appropriate safety measures are followed.

For example:

1. When removing fibro sheets, appropriate respiratory protective equipment should be worn, such as a P2 class respirator (mask). This respirator is suitable for lung damage dust. If there will be a considerable amount of dust generated in the removal process, disposable overalls and gloves should also be considered.

2. The sheets should be removed with minimal breakage and lowered, not dropped, to the ground.

3. No power tools should be used in the removal process, except when removing screws.

4. To inhibit the release of asbestos fibres, the fibro sheets should be wet with water once they are removed, stacked, and then wrapped in plastic. Wall sheets can be sprayed with water prior to removal.

5. Any asbestos-cement residue remaining in the building should be cleaned using an industrial vacuum cleaner approved for asbestos use.

6. Once removed, the fibro sheets should be disposed of as soon as possible.

7. Prior to removing fibro sheets, homeowners and contractors should get advice from the local council about the correct procedure for disposing of the material.
QLD MPA.

I had an aircon unit put into my asbestos house, and didn't think twice about it. I simply phoned up a tradie who'd worked with the stuff before, and got the job done.

Don't let the presence of fibro put you off a bargain. It's only a risk if you breath in the dust - and that can only happen if you start smashing the walls without a face-mask.
Attached Thumbnails Fibro people. Help!!!-my-house.jpg  

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Sep 20th 2006 at 10:13 am.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fibro people. Help!!!

Thanks for such a fantastic reply! Ye we are kinda stressing now as we have only been here a week and a bit and having to make a decision about a house so soon. But for what we can afford this place is great, 700m2 with 5 beds, 2 living areas, great outdoor area and JUST enough space for a spa or v small pool. Its a 5 min walk to the school and 10-15 mins to train station and town and all for under $330,000. What a bargain! Without the security of knowing how things work though its scary and I was really worried when they mentioned asbestos. I will check out the local government office and see if they have any further info...Thanks again, that deserves a few
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, old fibro houses often contain a proportion of asbestos. No, Australian houses are not normally made of fibro.

When I lived in Western Australia, I had a 1940s asbestos house (see attached). The presence of asbestos didn't worry me in the slightest, since I had no intention of breaking the walls and sniffing the asbestos dust.

Different states have different legislation regarding asbestos and fibro homes, but as a general rule of thumb, homeowners are permitted to knock down walls etc. provided that the appropriate safety measures are followed.

For example:

1. When removing fibro sheets, appropriate respiratory protective equipment should be worn, such as a P2 class respirator (mask). This respirator is suitable for lung damage dust. If there will be a considerable amount of dust generated in the removal process, disposable overalls and gloves should also be considered.

2. The sheets should be removed with minimal breakage and lowered, not dropped, to the ground.

3. No power tools should be used in the removal process, except when removing screws.

4. To inhibit the release of asbestos fibres, the fibro sheets should be wet with water once they are removed, stacked, and then wrapped in plastic. Wall sheets can be sprayed with water prior to removal.

5. Any asbestos-cement residue remaining in the building should be cleaned using an industrial vacuum cleaner approved for asbestos use.

6. Once removed, the fibro sheets should be disposed of as soon as possible.

7. Prior to removing fibro sheets, homeowners and contractors should get advice from the local council about the correct procedure for disposing of the material.
QLD MPA.

I had an aircon unit put into my asbestos house, and didn't think twice about it. I simply phoned up a tradie who'd worked with the stuff before, and got the job done.

Don't let the presence of fibro put you off a bargain. It's only a risk if you breath in the dust - and that can only happen if you start smashing the walls without a face-mask.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Kelly xx
Left alone painted asbestos sheet is considered safe. Start driving nails, screws, holes, etc and YOU have potential problems.
QLD recently changed law as to asbestos removal. You need to check them.

Things to check with a housre that close to Cleveland centre would be condition of the tin roof from inside the roof. If it has galvanised steel water pipes they probably need replacing due to rust. Condition of the stumps under the house (timber= rot, concrete = spalling).

The location sounds more like land value than a bargain (sorry to be so blunt).

Get your own building& pest inspection and make sure they are written into the contract "to your satisfaction".

WW
Old Sep 20th 2006, 5:54 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Fibro people. Help!!!

Thanks for such a fantastic reply! Ye we are kinda stressing now as we have only been here a week and a bit and having to make a decision about a house so soon. But for what we can afford this place is great, 700m2 with 5 beds, 2 living areas, great outdoor area and JUST enough space for a spa or v small pool. Its a 5 min walk to the school and 10-15 mins to train station and town and all for under $330,000. What a bargain! Without the security of knowing how things work though its scary and I was really worried when they mentioned asbestos. I will check out the local government office and see if they have any further info...Thanks again, that deserves a few
Cheers mate; hope it all works out for you.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:17 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly xx
If the house was renovated before the 1980's, chances are that it may contain asbestos. if after 1990, the chances are greatly reduced. This is the Qlsd Dept of Industrial Relations site concerning asbestos-please read before starting work. If in doubt on what to do, seek professional advice from firms that specialize in removal of asbestos products.

http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/workplace/...stos/index.htm
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:25 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede]
1. When removing fibro sheets, appropriate respiratory protective equipment should be worn, such as a P2 class respirator (mask). This respirator is suitable for lung damage dust. If there will be a considerable amount of dust generated in the removal process, disposable overalls and gloves should also be considered.]

Why not wear overalls and gloves(especially gloves) regardless of how much is to be removed?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Kelly
I've bought an older house in Cleveland that has some asbestos cement fibro in it.

I got an audit done of the whole house just after moving in. Didn't realise at the time how extensive asbestos building materials were used in older houses right up until 1987!!!!!!! :scared: However the benefits of an older house tends to be the house size and the plot size. I'm at present assessing what needs to be removed and what can stay until a later date. General consensus from all the people I've spoken to is that as long as it is in good condition, its a great building material.

If you want to remove it, take precautions. ALWAYS WEAR A MASK!!!!!!! and not a piddly $6 Bunnings paper special!

read up about it.
have a look at this sheet
http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/pdf/whs/ho...fibro%20qld%22

Most of all, its your decision. If you feel that the property price, size, plot is worth the additional cost that you may incur if you want to remove the fibro now or at a later date, then go for it. I did!

If you want further info on the people we used for the audit, pm me. I haven't got a website for them, only a phone number, but I was very pleased with the report they provided. Bare in mind also I was told that one day all houses over a certain age may have to have an asbestos audit done prior to being able to sell, so if you are still interested i the property, its a worthwhile investment.

I do know that the company i used are very busy (there are lots of houses out there with asbestos in), so if you do put an offer in for the house, make sure you get a long (60 to 90 days) contract and stipulate as someone said that the contract is subject to a satisfactory asbestos audit.

get in contact if you need any other info

Nick
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:05 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Just brought a Fibro house too and it's fab.... there are loads of fibro houses in Fremantle and surrounding areas.

If you have any work done on it, where you might disrupt the fibro boards, just make sure you have professional advice. Don't let it put you off.

Good luck
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Guys, just met with a financial advisor and he reckons I could get approved for a loan :-) I mentioned what Nick said about making an asbestos check part of the building survey and putting a clause in the contract and he agreed. We have seen two houses over 20 years old on big plots and the price reflects their age but at least we can afford them and can do them up as we go along rather than getting something unaffordable that makes our lifestyle as miserable as it was back in the UK
Anyways, we will probably get a 6 month rental so we can take our time and look properly rather than jumping in just because we only have 2 weeks left on our existing rental :scared: Nick, I will PM you to get those details, thanks to all of you for your advice Kelly xxx
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:12 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to remove it, take precautions. ALWAYS WEAR A MASK!!!!!!! and not a piddly $6 Bunnings paper special!

Or get a proffessional to do it!