Fiance in UK

Old Aug 5th 2002, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough
Default Fiance in UK

I'm an Australian citizen, living in Adelaide, intending to marry my UK fiance next year. Seeking advice about his obtaining a visa to enable him to stay here permanently.

Is it possible for him to come here on a visitor visa, marry here, then apply for a spouse visa, or should he apply for a fiance visa in the first instance from the UK?

Would it be a smoother path if I flew to the UK to marry, and we took the red tape from there? (I hold a British passport).

I have looked at the DIMA site and find it a bit confusing so I would appreciate any comments/help you can give. Incidentely, he is 45 and a guitar teacher, but with no formal teaching qualifications, just diplomas in the performing arts. He would be self-employed here, as he is in the UK, although he teaches in government schools.

Regards ........... Sharon
Old Aug 5th 2002, 7:47 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance in UK

Hello Sharon.

If you are planning to marry in Australia => he should apply for the Prospective Marriage visa. Visa processing times can be quick in the UK if you submit everything that is needed with the visa application.

Have a read here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/family_migration.cfm
under Partner Visas.

Happy to discuss this with you and/or your fiance if you think you'll need any help. Our contact details are on the Go Matilda website.

Hope this helps.

Alan Collett
alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com
Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534
and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
http://www.gomatilda.com and
http://www.collettandco.co.uk
Offices in Southampton, England and Melbourne, Australia