Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A few tips for newbies

A few tips for newbies

Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default A few tips for newbies

Hi folks, Thought I would just pass on a few tips we have learnt, for those fresh of the plane or due to land.

Anyway here goes:

1. When you buy cars make sure you know what you are doing, we wasted so much money on over priced cars when we got here, we now have no deposit for a house.

2. Remember also that the money you spend when you arrive will not last forever, keep as much as you can as it is so easy to fall into that mode and spend dollars as if you are here on holiday.

3. When you get here you must realise they don’t hand cash out as you get off the plane, you have to get off your arse and look for what is right for you, jobs wise, if it isn’t enough money look for more, I hear so much about how people earned so much in the UK blah blah, you don’t live there anymore so reality check get on with it, surely you have done your research before you got here???

4. Try and mix, for those with kids you need to speak to the other mums or dads at school, don’t wait for them to speak to you, you basically have to be rude and force yourselves on people, the British way of being stand offish doesn’t seem to be accepted over here, so please lose the reserved manner. If you don’t have kids, get out to sports clubs etc, take up a hobby you will meet people that way. We have met so many friends, from this site, from school, sport etc.

5. Accept Australia for what it is: no it doesn’t have that much of a history, no there is no Snowdonia, no Big Ben, No Alps, no Costa del Sol but it does have a lot to offer see as much of it as you can, we have been here 15 months now, and been a few places, but basically nowhere, we so much want to see everything this continent has to offer.

Most of all, please don't come with the attitude that the streets are paved with gold you will have to work for everything to enjoy what it has to offer. If you have issues at home, then a change of country will not solve them

Anyway take it easy, any questions I can answer plz continue to PM me and I will do my best.

Enjoy the ride
Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of
Default Re: A few tips for newbies

Hi there,
Its good of you to help others out and write a thread like this-I'm sure people will find it useful.
Just wanted to say in relation to point 3- it is very difficult to get an idea of pay here in Oz while in the UK no matter what research you do. I am one of the posters that is here in Oz and have stated that my hubby got paid more in the UK. I did as much research as possible before we got here and didnt really get anywhere.
Maybe a thread were we all state our occupations, and if someone wanted to know the pay then they PM that poster rather than publicly post??

Donna xx
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:35 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh1905
Maybe a thread were we all state our occupations, and if someone wanted to know the pay then they PM that poster rather than publicly post??

Donna xx
HI Donna, i thought the whole point of this forum was that u could ask what people earn
PMs will mean that people have to ask the same question over and over again.
but the idea of a jobs thread is good
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of

Hi Soapy,
Just incase people werent happy to disclose what they earn to anyone and everyone, as i know some people arent.
Donna xx

Originally Posted by soapy
HI Donna, i thought the whole point of this forum was that u could ask what people earn
PMs will mean that people have to ask the same question over and over again.
but the idea of a jobs thread is good
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: A few tips for newbies

Hi there,
Its good of you to help others out and write a thread like this-I'm sure people will find it useful.
Just wanted to say in relation to point 3- it is very difficult to get an idea of pay here in Oz while in the UK no matter what research you do. I am one of the posters that is here in Oz and have stated that my hubby got paid more in the UK. I did as much research as possible before we got here and didnt really get anywhere.

Donna xx

Hi Donna
Yeh I started to feel guilty not passing on what we learnt when we got here, as I relied on this site before hand for info and don't go on as much now,I have pmd a few people when they have been after info though.

That would be a good idea about the wages thing, but I would think it would be hard for people to go and tell strangers what they earn, it would be worth a try though.
I used this site I found really helpful before I got out here.

Good luck
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:33 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Soapy,
Just incase people werent happy to disclose what they earn to anyone and everyone, as i know some people arent.
Donna xx
good point
but some might exaggerate while no ones watchin
Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dicko
we wasted so much money on over priced cars when we got here, we now have no deposit for a house.

2. Remember also that the money you spend when you arrive will not last forever, keep as much as you can as it is so easy to fall into that mode and spend dollars as if you are here on holiday.

Good valid information.

Re - the above point - this is sooo true!
when we arrived we put half of our money in a "Term Deposit" meaning we couldn't touch it for 3 months - so we knew it was safe. Spent the rest - tv - cars, settee etc

After the 3 months we were still in no position to buy a house - so we transferred it to another "Term Deposit" - this time for 11 months.

Then we'll see where we are when this time is up.