Reload this Page >

A few things I would like to say

A few things I would like to say

Old Jan 17th 2003, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Vicky88
Sue

Here in California most of our entertainment is done at home with everyone bringing round the beers and shock horror, our two sets of best friends are both British. It is too expensive to go out. All the best bars are downtown, the taxi fare is $50+ each way so there is $100 before you have your first beer.

Also every country is guilty of promoting itself as an beautiful paradise. Here in San Diego they rave on about how their beaches are the best in the world and how wonderful their restaurants are. Personally I think there is only 1 decent beach in town and the beaches in Australia are far better, but I have just learnt to smile and nod my head because it doesn't matter if it is true or not. Some things are just not worth worrying about.
That's exactly what I am saying Vicky, but some people fail to see it. I enjoy the company of friends in my own home and I love entertaining people. It is so much easier and safer.
We do go down to the local once in a blue moon just for a change and play pool, but $50+ later we don't do it often. Not that we are watching our pennies, it is a principle thing with me. It is cheaper with my $10 bottle of CC (which I have to point out lasts more than one night) and my hubbys $8 12 pack of beer, put on the stereo, play some foosball (yes foosball - not football) and a bit of dancing if we feel like. Can't get a better night than that. Then the neighbours all walk home when they feel like it - no driving involved.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in California most of our entertainment is done at home with everyone bringing round the beers and shock horror, our two sets of best friends are both British. It is too expensive to go out. All the best bars are downtown, the taxi fare is $50+ each way so there is $100 before you have your first beer.
Same in Canada, Vicky. You get together with your friends at your house. You can invite one person, a couple, a family, or a whole mob. It's a given that you bring something to drink, like a bottle of wine, or a six-pack at least. Others ask if they can bring anything else like dessert or a salad. You can do a barbeque, or sit-down dinner inside, pot-luck, whatever. I guess the pub thing is an integral part of English life. An English friend here says that he found it strange at first that people got together to drink at home and not down at the pub but now he's used to it. But then countries like Australia, Canada, the US aren't based around small villages and communities any more.

When I lived in Canada, sometimes you'd arrange to all go out to a restaurant together, but as you said, it's expensive. And going to bars is more for the young, pick-up crowd. Too noisy to sit and chat anyway.

[i]Also every country is guilty of promoting itself as an beautiful paradise. Here in San Diego they rave on about how their beaches are the best in the world and how wonderful their restaurants are. Personally I think there is only 1 decent beach in town and the beaches in Australia are far better, but I have just learnt to smile and nod my head because it doesn't matter if it is true or not. Some things are just not worth worrying about.
Have to agree about the beaches in SD. They're very nice but not as nice as many in Australia, and far more crowded. You should promote your Mexican restaurants instead. I sure miss Rubios and El Tecolote. But of course countries promote themselves. How many tourists could you attract by running yourself down?
Old Jan 19th 2003, 11:50 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sue5665
PB

When was the last time you visited the UK???

Sue
2 years past we went to Scotland , the Midlands and East Anglia our family and friends were all doing rather well .
My wife did not want to return to Perth as she said a landscape of brown and orange and a faceless suburbia does not compare with the UK , shes thinks Perth is a Sun readers utopoia a lego land with no class and little feeling.

Old Jan 19th 2003, 12:16 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I have no argument with the statement that everyone is entitled to their opinion and agree what works for one, does not work for another. However, I don't believe that facts should be twisted to suit oneself.

Tax rates. As I stated at $50,000 the tax rate is 30%. On the amount between $50,0001 and $60,000 that portion is taxed at 42% and anything over $60,0001 is taxed at 47%. As for the medicare levy it is 1.5% on all income. So would be grateful if you I could be set straight on these other taxes that I don't know about.

Re Dr.'s. When was the last time you were in the UK and visiting out of town and were able to go to the local surgery and get seen? In my experience it just doesn't happen. I was at my husband's surgery once, some poor woman needed to see a Dr to get a repeaet prscription and there was no way that they would see her. Another time some woman had a sick child that she wanted to bring in but they had no appt. vacancies so told her she would have to wait until the Friday morning, even though this was a Wednesday afternoon. All I am saying is that with Medicare you can go to any Dr at any time, without having to fill in forms to change surgeries.

As for the cost of prescriptions, yes I agree that they are high because unfortunately there is a large welfare population to be supported. However you do realise that it is nearly up to 7 pounds in the UK now.

As for the pensions issue. Well I have to say I am not overthrilled by the UK plan. 70 quid a week after making contributions for 44 years. Not too many manage to live big on that I am sure after they pay their winter heating bills. Also what is wrong with means testing for the pension. If you have a couple of million stashed in super why call on the public system? We know we will not get a pension when we retire but are planning for this. This is just another example where it is up to the individual to act in their own best interests rather than rely on a government.

I know lots of Australians who hardly drink anything and don't spend all their time pissed. Yes, they do live in suburbia but the reality is wherever you live most of your time is taken up with existence rather than living.

Also wonder what this wider world is that you are seeking and what you are going to do about obtaining it?

Just want to point out that while I am Australian I actually live in California. I have also lived in the UK, Switzerland, France, Mexico and Pakistan so think I might actually have seen a bit of the wider world and am able to recognise that there is no such thing as a perfect place. Every country has it's good and bad bits. You just have to deal with it the best you can, and sometimes you even need to recognise the problems you have are with yourself rather than the environment you are living in.

That said we will return to Australia to live eventually. I know it is not perfect, many of the things you mention frustrate me as well. However Australia is able to give me enough positives that I can deal with the negatives.

Medicare was around long before the levy , this was bought in to encourge people to take out private insurance and top it up , it does not fund the system state and fedrial taxes do.
To see a named doctor in WA you would have make an appointment and could take upto 2 weeks to see you , not different from the UK.
Doctors in the UK make home calls not done in Australia , plus they have District nurses and home helps in order to help people get care at home, you get sod all here unless you pay.
Perscriptions in the UK are free for the young and old also people who have life threating conditions like my wife , not so here you will pay .
The NI funds full health care , unemployment and sickness Benifits plus pension.
Serps of which you would paid in the UK unless you opted out tops up your penison to a much larger figure than you quoted , plus you can have as many pensions as you choose in the UK without your state pension being stopped unlike Australia.
Your pension in Australia is means tested any assets above $180,000 will stop you getting it includes cars and everything in your home , plus any income will be taken into account.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 19th 2003 at 12:33 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2003, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Medicare was around long before the levy , this was bought in to encourge people to take out private insurance and top it up , it does not fund the system state and fedrial taxes do.
To see a named doctor in WA you would have make an appointment and could take upto 2 weeks to see you , not different from the UK.
Doctors in the UK make home calls not done in Australia , plus they have District nurses and home helps in order to help people get care at home, you get sod all here unless you pay.
Perscriptions in the UK are free for the young and old also people who have life theating conditions like my wife , not so here you will pay .
The NI funds full health care , unemployment and sickness Benifits plus pension.
Serps of which you would paid in the UK unless you opted out tops up your penison to a much larger figure than you quoted , plus you can have as many pensions as you choose in the UK without your state pension being stopped unlike Australia.
Your pension in Australia is means tested any assets above $180,000 will stop you getting it includes cars and everything in your home , plus any income will be taken into account.

PB, when I was last in OZ, I would book a doctors appointment and would always get in the same day or the next. Why don't you try the Dr's at Candlewood BLVD next time you want one. They bulk bill and you don't have to wait ages to see them....
Old Jan 19th 2003, 12:41 pm
Banned

Originally posted by suebo
PB, when I was last in OZ, I would book a doctors appointment and would always get in the same day or the next. Why don't you try the Dr's at Candlewood BLVD next time you want one. They bulk bill and you don't have to wait ages to see them....
My wife likes the femail doctor in Padbury shes always well booked up takes upto 2 weeks to get an appointment shes an outstanding doctor and in demand.
Will try candlewood but bulk billing here now is very rare the doctors are getting greedy , vinerys are getting exspensive to buy some of these poor sods are down to their last million dollar weekend home.

Old Jan 19th 2003, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

LOL... I have been to a doctor in Padbury, but can't rememer her name. The name of the DR at candlewood is DR Wong, I won't see any male DR's there I always see her.
Old Jan 19th 2003, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

<snip>
<snip>
PB - usually your quotes are full of artistic licence - but this time you have now descending into 'untruths'. I personally have had a doctor come to my house whilst I was in Oz to visit my sick child. Don't lie or make up stories if you don't know.
MM
Old Jan 19th 2003, 6:03 pm
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by madmancunian
[snip]
[snip]
PB - usually your quotes are full of artistic licence - but this time you have now descending into 'untruths'. I personally have had a doctor come to my house whilst I was in Oz to visit my sick child. Don't lie or make up stories if you don't know.
MM
Not realy maybe its just WA my wife works for Health Direct and has confirmed there are no home visits , she directs people to health centres and hospitals some cannot even afford the ambulance only $440 if you have no cover.
You were lucky if this indeed so , my wife has to tell people they require an ambulance only to be told that they would rather make their own way , great when minutes can count.
There are no district nurses only Silver Chain which charges , forget home helps.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 19th 2003 at 6:22 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2003, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

It has been a while, but I have had a doctor come to my house twice. Once for me and once for my husband. Of course it costs more, just over $100 - like i said it has been a while.
Old Jan 20th 2003, 10:32 am
Banned

It has been a while, but I have had a doctor come to my house twice. Once for me and once for my husband. Of course it costs more, just over $100 - like i said it has been a while.

Well you would not get that now all after hours calls are redirected to health direct as are calls to hospitals , after an assessment they will only give you a address of a after hours doctor or send an ambulance.
The UK doctors do home calls for nothing and will come out at night if needed ,though you have proved my point about health care here theres always a charge just when you can lest afford it.

Old Jan 20th 2003, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

My wife likes the femail doctor in Padbury shes always well booked up takes upto 2 weeks to get an appointment shes an outstanding doctor and in demand.
Will try candlewood but bulk billing here now is very rare the doctors are getting greedy , vinerys are getting exspensive to buy some of these poor sods are down to their last million dollar weekend home.

In Canada B.C. we have walk in clinics everywere, I went to one this morning. I gave my medical card waited 10 min saw the Doctor, and went next door to the coffee shop no "fuss no muss". medical costs me and the Hubbie $180.00 CDN a month.
And if you are on welfare it costs nothing (I'M not going there on that topic..... "LOL")
:lecture:
Old Jan 20th 2003, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jeannie, doesn't it pee you off no end that you work, you pay throught the nose for medical insurance and freeloaders get it for nothing. Don't get me wrong, if there is a legitimate excuse that you can not work, then that is fair enough. But some people (yes PB I know this happens a lot in OZ...and it does not impress me at all) are just lazy bums that refuse to work and live off welfare.
Old Jan 20th 2003, 4:31 pm
Banned

Jeannie, doesn't it pee you off no end that you work, you pay throught the nose for medical insurance and freeloaders get it for nothing. Don't get me wrong, if there is a legitimate excuse that you can not work, then that is fair enough. But some people (yes PB I know this happens a lot in OZ...and it does not impress me at all) are just lazy bums that refuse to work and live off welfare.
Now Sue thats not very PC , health and education are a right for all and both should controled by the goverment.
Thats why I am against any form of health by wealth , the soft sods who call the NHS in the UK have never had to directly pay for health care .
Most Doctors would charge unlimited fees if they could get away with it and to put money in front need , brings humanity down to its lowest form.
To see Doctors in Australia form companies in order to avoid tax then buy million dollar weekend homes and raise charges to see them , shows the system is taking the working man for amug.

Old Jan 21st 2003, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

You know the worst thing is there some young girls in England, getting pregnant, the more kids the more welfare. ( I can only speak for Liverpool were my family is) It's a business, my sister told me yesterday people on both sides of her are on the Dole. they are both under 18 they have 3 kids by 3 differant men :scared: my family said living in Liverpool is a war zone.
Having said that, she booked a castle ( or at least 3 bedrooms of it ) for 1 week in May so we can holiday I'ts in Herefordshire it looks out of this world, so pretty anyone been to Herefordshire ???..........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.