Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FEW RULES to keep in mind when looking work in Oz

FEW RULES to keep in mind when looking work in Oz

Old Mar 12th 2003, 4:36 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by garryinoz
Tell ya something interesting. I met a teacher doing work of pizza delivery driver, the other day. I asked her why she was doing this as teaching profession (Secondary School Teacher) is so highly paid (25-30$/hr). She says "teaching is very stressful and frustrating as u have to deliver a product that no one wants as studenst in schools, but when u deliver pizza people wait for it eagerly".
I know there r different sides of it, but most of the teachers i've seen dont want to do it.The question is "WHY" The education policy needs to be fixed because if the kids dont want to study in schools then how do they acquire degrees and ultimately be able to leave Australia as grown ups for better places. As i am of the opinion that education does take a person towards better horizons.
School teacher sjust want to run away from teaching possibly due to the treatment that the students meet out to the teachers.
What say all?
garryinoz
Could be the reason there are so many angencys offering teachers work in the UK here , and lots of takers .
Like the pizza tale than gives food for thought.

Old Mar 12th 2003, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

garryinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

U r so right! Just the other day my wife who falls in the category of teachers, and has left her resume online, got 3 offers from UK to go there and teach. She herself at the moment has a second career and that is Hospitality as a stand-by. Have to be here for the next 18 months more before we can take off to UK and Japan and Korea and China and so many mor ecountries for teaching English.
But look what happens to Australia, it looses its skilled immigrants!! And dont u think it might make it poor one day. I feel incase th ethings are not set right at this stage, the future looks ....... ????
garryinoz
Old Mar 12th 2003, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FEW RULES to keep in mind when looking work in Oz

Originally posted by pommie bastard
....The way to get on is to praise the lucky country and play dumb its a case that the person in front of you will except a dumb Pom its a dumbing down country..
...At interviews give answers that involve statements like you do this better or that better they love bull, and knock the Mother country keep telling them how lucky you are to be here.....

Did this surprise you PB?

You come across this kind of reaction in many situations. For example in the workplace if people harp on about how things are done better in other workplaces, or in other departments, you're bound to upset some people. It's human nature. People like to be told they're wonderful (regardless of whether they are), and don't take kindly to being told they're not.

Of course I've got in mind a situation where it's possible that the above doesn't quite apply - a situation I don't think you'll have encountered for a while....

So, on your return back to the UK please let us know what people's reactions are when you tell them they should be grateful they're living in this country and not somewhere like Australia. Of course you'll have some that will agree with you, but I reckon the majority will fall off their chairs laughing.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 9:49 am
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

i was offered a job in melbourne doing excactly the same as what im doing now and for more money. i only went to check out some companies and this job had been advertised for ages and no one was qualified enough. the owner wanted me to start there and then but i couldnt coz i was only there on holiday. so i dont think its all to do with where your from.
it was in the dandenong suburb.
can anyone shed some light on what this area is like as i might even take him up on his job offer???
Old Mar 13th 2003, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by denhim
i was offered a job in melbourne doing excactly the same as what im doing now and for more money. i only went to check out some companies and this job had been advertised for ages and no one was qualified enough. the owner wanted me to start there and then but i couldnt coz i was only there on holiday. so i dont think its all to do with where your from.
it was in the dandenong suburb.
can anyone shed some light on what this area is like as i might even take him up on his job offer???
Well mate this is an industrial area which will give u many opportunities to work in the factories. It has all the basic things which new comers look for. Its said that the crime is high, but i havent noticed anything in particular.
On Robinson Street u have max. agencies that register u and give u work.
But u didnt say what line of speciality u r from. If u are from the factory background then this is the place to be. But the wages r better in CBD of Melbourne. In Dandenng i have come to know of many people who pay much much below the accepted wage norms. so u have to be a bit careful. But the agencies i guess give a fair deal.
What job offer r u talking about mate?
garryinoz
Old Mar 13th 2003, 11:07 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by young_lad
Did this surprise you PB?

You come across this kind of reaction in many situations. For example in the workplace if people harp on about how things are done better in other workplaces, or in other departments, you're bound to upset some people. It's human nature. People like to be told they're wonderful (regardless of whether they are), and don't take kindly to being told they're not.

Of course I've got in mind a situation where it's possible that the above doesn't quite apply - a situation I don't think you'll have encountered for a while....

So, on your return back to the UK please let us know what people's reactions are when you tell them they should be grateful they're living in this country and not somewhere like Australia. Of course you'll have some that will agree with you, but I reckon the majority will fall off their chairs laughing.
Look you are off on a tangent yet again , no people do not like being told other work places are better run that is very true .
The case here they want you to rubbish the UK in order to make themselfs feel like this is the worlds greatest country , and to be honest in most things its miles behind the UK in work place methods , so to fit in you dumb down to their level.
I will bother even talking about Australia theres nothing to say , when we went back on holiday we were asked again and again about Australia , but most really do not give a sod as they have full lifes anyway unlike some on here.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 13th 2003 at 11:25 am.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 11:13 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Look you are off on a tangent yet again , no people do not like being told other work places are better run that is very true .
The case here they want you to rubbish the UK in order to make themselfs feel like this is the worlds greatest country , and to be honest in most things its miles behind the UK in work place methods , so to fit in you dumb down to their level.
I will bother even talking about Australia theres nothing to say , when we back on holiday we were asked again and again about Australia , but most really do not give a sod as they have full lifes anyway unlike some on here.

Thick. They have had it with fat, whiny, pommie soaks. The only time they'll give a job to a pommie slob is if the slob has run out of dough and is desparate enough to "slag off" the UK. Then they know they can beat the slob down to a profitable price.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 11:19 am
Just Joined

"dumb down" is the right word!!!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2003, 11:36 am
Banned

Originally posted by Megalania
Thick. They have had it with fat, whiny, pommie soaks. The only time they'll give a job to a pommie slob is if the slob has run out of dough and is desparate enough to "slag off" the UK. Then they know they can beat the slob down to a profitable price.
I do work cheap not a lot of choice in Perth too many scab Poms who undercut the wage levels to stay in the land of plenty.
Do my best not to turn a profit its not the done thing to make money for my keepers its a none money making zoo better to exploit the share holders rather than the tame apes.

Old Mar 13th 2003, 12:04 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

I do work cheap not a lot of choice in Perth too many scab Poms who undercut the wage levels to stay in the land of plenty.
Do my best not to turn a profit its not the done thing to make money for my keepers its a none money making zoo better to exploit the share holders rather than the tame apes.

Surprise, I agree on this one. The Orbital Engine Co never was but a con and share puffers dream. Useful for teaching those with more money than cents to do their homework before "investing". Not bitter, never owned any Orbital shares.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 12:46 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Megalania
Surprise, I agree on this one. The Orbital Engine Co never was but a con and share puffers dream. Useful for teaching those with more money than cents to do their homework before "investing". Not bitter, never owned any Orbital shares.
I made a few bob thanks to options but I do feel sorry for thoose who stunk all they had and bought at $25 per share which are now 15 cents , but the share makets a betting shop that is driven on greed.
Having signed a no talk agreement I would say that they now have a good guy in the top job Peter Cook a mans mans , but hes still got too many of the old crew around him , I do think he will turn things around for the share holders hope springs eternal .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 13th 2003 at 1:16 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Tell ya something interesting. I met a teacher doing work of pizza delivery driver, the other day. I asked her why she was doing this as teaching profession (Secondary School Teacher) is so highly paid (25-30$/hr). She says "teaching is very stressful and frustrating as u have to deliver a product that no one wants as studenst in schools, but when u deliver pizza people wait for it eagerly".
I know there r different sides of it, but most of the teachers i've seen dont want to do it.The question is "WHY" The education policy needs to be fixed because if the kids dont want to study in schools then how do they acquire degrees and ultimately be able to leave Australia as grown ups for better places. As i am of the opinion that education does take a person towards better horizons.
School teacher sjust want to run away from teaching possibly due to the treatment that the students meet out to the teachers.
What say all?
garryinoz
My daughter`s teacher in Oz has recently left to move permanently to the UK, after spending time teaching over there a couple of years ago. When I asked her why, she said "Teachers aren`t valued here - not by the pupils, the citizens of Oz, the Government, no one values us here. In the UK, I was made to feel that I was doing a worthwhile job, after all the hard work of university, and the low wages, it was worth it all to be VALUED".

Now I know a lot of teachers in the UK are very, very stressed and feel under-valued (and probably are), but that quote was from someone who has experienced both education systems...

Personally, I don`t think either Oz or the UK has a bright future whilst it still places more importance on fancy-titled jobs (e.g. "Business Consultant") which kids step into on leaving university at £50,000 thinking they`re Gods Gift to Society, than on the hard work and dedication of those in the professions such as teaching, nursing etc.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 3:17 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pommiesheila
My daughter`s teacher in Oz has recently left to move permanently to the UK, after spending time teaching over there a couple of years ago. When I asked her why, she said "Teachers aren`t valued here - not by the pupils, the citizens of Oz, the Government, no one values us here. In the UK, I was made to feel that I was doing a worthwhile job, after all the hard work of university, and the low wages, it was worth it all to be VALUED".

Now I know a lot of teachers in the UK are very, very stressed and feel under-valued (and probably are), but that quote was from someone who has experienced both education systems...

Personally, I don`t think either Oz or the UK has a bright future whilst it still places more importance on fancy-titled jobs (e.g. "Business Consultant") which kids step into on leaving university at £50,000 thinking they`re Gods Gift to Society, than on the hard work and dedication of those in the professions such as teaching, nursing etc.
Cutting for those of us with fancy 'business consultant' type titles, but oh so true.
One of my closest friends here in Oz left for London a year ago and his wife is a teacher. She thinks she is more highly valued and better treated working in the London education system than in the Sydney system she left behind. She's a drama/music teacher though, I'm sure the sports teachers feel more valued here in Oz!
Old Mar 14th 2003, 10:15 am
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

Well mate this is an industrial area which will give u many opportunities to work in the factories. It has all the basic things which new comers look for. Its said that the crime is high, but i havent noticed anything in particular.
On Robinson Street u have max. agencies that register u and give u work.
But u didnt say what line of speciality u r from. If u are from the factory background then this is the place to be. But the wages r better in CBD of Melbourne. In Dandenng i have come to know of many people who pay much much below the accepted wage norms. so u have to be a bit careful. But the agencies i guess give a fair deal.
What job offer r u talking about mate?
garryinoz

im a welder, and the company i went for an interview with was called Double L Engineering. there on capital drive.
i work for a fork lift truck company here called Lansing Linde, and they have a few depots in oz. 1 in perth on the malaga estate, and 1 melbourne not to far away from dandenong. i visited both linde companies in perth and melbourne but unfortunatly there was no position for a full time welder, but the boss in melly told me that this double L company did all theres and required a full time welder. they offered me $52,000 a year which i didnt think was bad considering most jobs pay less than they do here in the u.k.
i dont know if thats a good wage over there or not as ive yet to find out...
Old Mar 16th 2003, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by pommiesheila

Thanks for that. But can someone give me a comparison between the wages of Secondary School Teacher here in Oz (Vic-Melbourne) and those in UK? My wife has been getting few offers to teach in UK. After all the stories that i read on forum, I am trying to make up my mind.
HELP WANTED!
garryinoz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.