Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A few questions about Sydney...

A few questions about Sydney...

Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

holly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really nice
Default A few questions about Sydney...

Hello...it's been a while since I've been on this site. We moved to Mandurah WA 18 months ago, have settled really well. Bought a beautiful house near beach and school and close to where we both work. Have made lovely friends and so happy.
Now my husband has been made an offer to move to Sydney that financially is very difficult to refuse.
So basically, the questions I have are...
What suburbs tick the same boxes as I have now?
Walking distance to beach, school and close to public transport links for my husband who will be working in the CBD.
What sort of rent are we looking at in this type of area?
How long will the commute be for my husband? Is it worth him driving or should he get train?

Really appreciate the help and advice...I will have a look through some WA / nursing threads to see if I can throw some advice back in return :-)
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Laxor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A few questions about Sydney...

Do you have a specific budget in mind?
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

holly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really nice

No specific budget as this is being negotiated as part of the relocation package the company are offering. I want to make sure we get enough to give us the same lifestyle we have now. We also have pool so I guess that will increase the rent.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I guess most of us living in Sydney have never been to Mandurah, so might be worth just spelling out your requirements to us.

In Sydney, there are two factors that will most determine where you live, your budget and your place of work. So we know it is the CBD, what about budget, do you have any idea about that yet?

There are hundreds of Sydney suburbs. Within walking distance of the beach narrows the field somewhat however the beaches go up and down the coast for many kilometres, they are not just in one spot, so it is impossible to answer questions about commuting just yet until we have a few specific suburbs in mind.

Naturally beach suburbs are at a premium. We live within walking distance of a beach (we are on the Northern Beaches), our 3 bed house is $1,300 per week to rent, it takes about an hour to commute to the CBD on the bus and no we would not even think about driving ... Sydney traffic is pretty hellish in commuting hours.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly13
No specific budget as this is being negotiated as part of the relocation package the company are offering. I want to make sure we get enough to give us the same lifestyle we have now. We also have pool so I guess that will increase the rent.
I think trying to make a Sydney lifestyle comparable to Mandurah is a big ask. I just had a look on www.domain.com.au and there were hundreds of houses available for less than $500k and many looked really very pretty too.

This is not achievable in Sydney or surrounds. So are the employer are thinking of, I don't know, quadrupling your salary or something to take into account the much higher accommodation costs ... is that realistic.

In all honesty, this would have to be a spectacular increase in finances to make me leave my beach house and happy and settled life in Mandurah. Think really hard on this one..
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice, as I said budget is not too much of a problem as the company are giving us a rent allowance. I just need a rough idea so we can negotiate with them.

Mandurah is basically a small town with beautiful harbour and beaches. It's fairly quiet and a 40 min commute by train into Perth. The area we live is a small village type community with school, shop, cafe, beach and playground all within a 5 min walk of our house.

I feel like I'm starting this whole emigration thing again. Moving into the unknown. I have been to Sydney a few times but never with moving in mind. So I only really know the cbd areas and Manly. I literally have no idea of the outer suburbs. So just giving me a rough breakdown of north /south would be helpful in terms of helping me narrow down a few areas.

Thanks so much
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

It is an amazing offer financially. Which is why we are being forced to consider it. If I'm honest the thought of leaving what we have here fills me with dread. However we are adventurous people, and you never know when an offer like this may come up again. Dilemma!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the advice, as I said budget is not too much of a problem as the company are giving us a rent allowance. I just need a rough idea so we can negotiate with them.

Mandurah is basically a small town with beautiful harbour and beaches. It's fairly quiet and a 40 min commute by train into Perth. The area we live is a small village type community with school, shop, cafe, beach and playground all within a 5 min walk of our house.

I feel like I'm starting this whole emigration thing again. Moving into the unknown. I have been to Sydney a few times but never with moving in mind. So I only really know the cbd areas and Manly. I literally have no idea of the outer suburbs. So just giving me a rough breakdown of north /south would be helpful in terms of helping me narrow down a few areas.

Thanks so much
Well above I have provided an idea of costs on the northern beaches. I think the east / west split is more relevant than north / south split. In that beach suburbs (east) are at a premium.

Perhaps look at a map and then go to domain and look at rentals ... you could even just search by rough region like "northern beaches". Beach suburbs are all going to be nice suburbs.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Good idea. Will have a look. Thanks for taking time to reply, have a great weekend :-)
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good idea. Will have a look. Thanks for taking time to reply, have a great weekend :-)
So if you look at the northern beaches for example, well I live in Collaroy and my commute time on the bus averages an hour (quicker only in early morning). If you go further north, say to Avalon, then the commute time increases by about 30 minutes, so getting a bit long at 1.5 hours now. Just a rough idea to bear in mind when you are looking. I would probably ask for a $1,000 a week rental allowance as a minimum if they are considering this.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Hi, well I've been non stop researching on different areas... just looking at some of the eastern beach suburbs like clovelly and coogee. Would it be an easier/quicker commute from there than from the northern beaches..say Manly or queenscliff?
If money was no object..which beach suburbs would be the most ideal to live for commuting to George St in CBD? (They would also need to be family friendly as I have a 5 year old).
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi, well I've been non stop researching on different areas... just looking at some of the eastern beach suburbs like clovelly and coogee. Would it be an easier/quicker commute from there than from the northern beaches..say Manly or queenscliff?
If money was no object..which beach suburbs would be the most ideal to live for commuting to George St in CBD? (They would also need to be family friendly as I have a 5 year old).
There is no need to narrow it down to one or two suburbs. Beach suburbs are invariably nice, just see what properties are available, if you are too narrow in your thinking you might not find anywhere. There are families living happily in every suburb too.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:22 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

If you were in Manly / Queenscliffe / Balgowlah / Seaforth areas the ferry into the city is a good way to commute. Manly to George Street CBD in around 30 minutes on the ferry, plus travel time to the ferry wharf. Nice way to start each day too.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Yea you're probably right. I think until we come over and start looking for houses then it is difficult to choose a specific area. I just wanted to narrow the searches a bit to ensure my husband isn't commuting for hours each day. Thanks for the replies. There are definitely worse commutes than a ferry across the harbour ;-)
Is there a site where you can check commuting times on trains? Is the train service reliable?
Thanks again :-)
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Clovelly would probably have you getting a bus to Bondi Junction (15 mins) then a train to city (20 mins). Coogee would see you on a bus to the city. About 35 mins. Googling "Sydney Travel" threw this up. http://www.transportnsw.info/ .... I'm sure you put that in google right?

Benefit of living within walking distance to a beach is just that, you can walk. But often unnecessary in my view, but nice none the less. You can live a 5 minute drive from the beach, yet closer to main transport stations and bus routes. I mean, you commute 5 days a week and may only hit the beach 3 days a week. For example, I live within easy reach of the Bondi Junction interchange and for a fee (can't recall the value) you can have unlimited beach parking at Bondi and Bronte if you live in Waverley council. Clovelly doesn't charge for parking. Manly on the other hand has a 2 hour street parking limit (I think residents get this as part of the package - not sure how far residency stretches). Try finding a spot to park in Manly on a weekend - forget it.

Personally if a short commute is key and living near a beach is key, you either want to be in central Manly or the Eastern Subs.

Last edited by Beoz; Feb 2nd 2014 at 10:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.