Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A few questions about Sydney...

A few questions about Sydney...

Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

holly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really nice
Default Re: A few questions about Sydney...

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. Think these will be the areas we focus the search on. Obviously the house has to be right to, so lots to consider. Feel I've got a good starting point now. Thanks to all of you :-)
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Clovelly would probably have you getting a bus to Bondi Junction (15 mins) then a train to city (20 mins). Coogee would see you on a bus to the city. About 35 mins. Googling "Sydney Travel" threw this up. http://www.transportnsw.info/ .... I'm sure you put that in google right?

Benefit of living within walking distance to a beach is just that, you can walk. But often unnecessary in my view, but nice none the less. You can live a 5 minute drive from the beach, yet closer to main transport stations and bus routes. I mean, you commute 5 days a week and may only hit the beach 3 days a week. For example, I live within easy reach of the Bondi Junction interchange and for a fee (can't recall the value) you can have unlimited beach parking at Bondi and Bronte if you live in Waverley council. Clovelly doesn't charge for parking. Manly on the other hand has a 2 hour street parking limit (I think residents get this as part of the package - not sure how far residency stretches). Try finding a spot to park in Manly on a weekend - forget it.

Personally if a short commute is key and living near a beach is key, you either want to be in central Manly or the Eastern Subs.
Quickest way from Clovelly to the city is by bus. They are very frequent, have express versions at peak hour and take around 25 minutes. No-one would get a bus from Clovelly to BJ and then the train. Similarly, the bus from Coogee takes about the same maybe a few minutes longer.

I live in Coogee, halfway up the hill towards Clovelly. Parking is hell at both beaches on the weekend. If you can get a place within walking distance, then do it.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 1:28 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

have a look at Tanamara bronte etc too, the rentals that are nice will be very expensive but its a lovely area.

South Cronulla is a fantastic place too massive beach laid back lifestyle and about 50 mins 1 hour by train commute
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
....I think residents get this as part of the package - not sure how far residency stretches). Try finding a spot to park in Manly on a weekend - forget it.

Personally if a short commute is key and living near a beach is key, you either want to be in central Manly or the Eastern Subs.
Residency stretches to "is your suburb in the Manly council jurisdiction?". As a resident or tenant you can apply for 2 parking permits Link

If you get to Manly early enough, ie before lunchtime when everyone from outside the area seems to arrive then parking is fine imho. I would point out two things. One, there are many, many other beaches in the Manly area so you don't always have to go to Manly beach. Clontarf, Fairlight are two of our favourites. Two, unless you have to carry surf boards etc it is very easy to walk to Manly especially if you go down the coast walk (part of the Manly yo Spit walk). Very scenic and a usual way that we start our Saturday morning before brekkie in Manly.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Quickest way from Clovelly to the city is by bus. They are very frequent, have express versions at peak hour and take around 25 minutes. No-one would get a bus from Clovelly to BJ and then the train. Similarly, the bus from Coogee takes about the same maybe a few minutes longer.

I live in Coogee, halfway up the hill towards Clovelly. Parking is hell at both beaches on the weekend. If you can get a place within walking distance, then do it.
I did not know it was only 25 mins from Clovelly to City ..... nice one.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
have a look at Tanamara bronte etc too, the rentals that are nice will be very expensive but its a lovely area.

South Cronulla is a fantastic place too massive beach laid back lifestyle and about 50 mins 1 hour by train commute
I love Cronulla, unfort the commute falls into the 1 hour bracket and that's no go.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Residency stretches to "is your suburb in the Manly council jurisdiction?". As a resident or tenant you can apply for 2 parking permits Link

If you get to Manly early enough, ie before lunchtime when everyone from outside the area seems to arrive then parking is fine imho. I would point out two things. One, there are many, many other beaches in the Manly area so you don't always have to go to Manly beach. Clontarf, Fairlight are two of our favourites. Two, unless you have to carry surf boards etc it is very easy to walk to Manly especially if you go down the coast walk (part of the Manly yo Spit walk). Very scenic and a usual way that we start our Saturday morning before brekkie in Manly.
Need to start a thread "secret parking spots in Manly" ....... I've never had any luck and just refuse to entertain it now.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

holly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tartankoala

Sounds like a lovely way to start your saturday!! Thanks for your comments ;-)
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyC

Good to know! Thanks Nicky :-)
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by asher

Added to my list of places to check out. Thanks :-)