female bonds

Old May 4th 2004, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

kath29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default female bonds

Mel Gibson

l don't want to sound sexist but from reading this forum over the last year and watching the documentary " place in the sun" about
immigrating to Australia it appears to me it is mainly female migrants from Britain that have the most trouble settling in Australia and wish to return, while it often their husbands or
male migrants that quickly adapt to Australia and are happy there.

I think Mel has a point and I think it's because women have stronger emotional attachments. men seem to be happier as on the whole their attachments are more superficial (apart from to their wife and kids).so they don't feel the loss of extended family and friends as much. Ultimately a big house and pool may not be enough for women who find it's not enough without family and friends to share it. What do people think?
Old May 4th 2004, 9:09 pm
mick n cheryl

Hit the nail on the head as far as our situation is mate
We have the big house and pool and I am really well settled with life here and work

BUT Cheryl wants to go back for all the reasons you have stated Missing family etc, the same family we never really saw in England anyway

So we may be heading back

Mick

Old May 4th 2004, 9:20 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: female bonds

Originally posted by kath29
Ultimately a big house and pool may not be enough for women who find it's not enough without family and friends to share it. What do people think?
I agree with what you're saying and yet in my experience, men have long lasting friendships, where women tend to make friends 'here', then move on and make new ones 'there'. OK I'm committing the cardinal sin on here of generalising but that's just what I see. Mrs M is like that and a lot of the women I know are like that.
The new woman they work with is their new best friend. They go shopping and on the pull ()) with them and the girl they went to school with is just the funny one in the photo with the long hair (i.e. just a memory).
By contrast, men make friends at school, college, whatever and keep them for life. Even if they live at the other end of the country or world, they will always be his 'real' mates. He might call the guys from work mates and he may go for a beer or round of golf with them but they are not the same as 'the boys'.
Maybe this is something to do with not wanting to grow up or something and clinging to youth (I'm no psycho .... therapist) but there you are. Just my opinion, formed by observation.
Old May 4th 2004, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

kath29 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that you can say that precisely because mens friendships are more superficial! They fall out less because they keep conversation to football, cars etc. Women talk about emotional stuff so they are prone to arguing more HOWEVER this also means that they are more emotionally involved.
Old May 4th 2004, 9:29 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kath29
I think that you can say that precisely because mens friendships are more superficial! They fall out less because they keep conversation to football, cars etc. Women talk about emotional stuff so they are prone to arguing more HOWEVER this also means that they are more emotionally involved.
Quite possibly true. I've only ever had a couple of real blues with my mates, usually after too many and quickly .... well pushed to the back of the mind at least, if not completely forgotten.