Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling Low in Perth

Feeling Low in Perth

Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Feeling Low in Perth

After all the excitment of coming here, having been here three weeks, I am feeling low.....really low in a really odd way. I can't say I don't feel at home here, as I do, I cant say I feel out of place in my new job as I feel like I have been here forever......maybe thats where the problem is.

Maybe its as I arrived on Friday night, started work on that Monday.....that I found my apartment on a lunchbreak, that I haven't had time to organise my medicare card, my cable, my broadband, my life. I haven't seen anywhere and I have been stuck, straight in at the deep end and I feel just totally exposed. I keep getting emails from a colleague who looks after our timesheet system snipping at me as I filled it in incorrectly and I just want to shout GIVE ME A BREAK, IVE JUST ARRIVED AND HAVENT EVEN BEGUN ADJUSTING AS I HAVENT HAD TIME TO BREAK WIND!!!

I presume its normal, people always tell me that its hard, wasnt sure how it would be hard for me as I was glad to see the back of the UK and my job....well this is my job and I do love it.....I just feel very raw I guess.

Is it normal? I know I havent made any friends yet, but I know its not loneliness as I am quite happy in my own company.....but I just feel....well odd.

Anyone know what the hell I am talking about or am I sounding like a manic?

:scared:
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:07 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeling Low in Perth

Originally Posted by amanda34
After all the excitment of coming here, having been here three weeks, I am feeling low.....really low in a really odd way. I can't say I don't feel at home here, as I do, I cant say I feel out of place in my new job as I feel like I have been here forever......maybe thats where the problem is.

Maybe its as I arrived on Friday night, started work on that Monday.....that I found my apartment on a lunchbreak, that I haven't had time to organise my medicare card, my cable, my broadband, my life. I haven't seen anywhere and I have been stuck, straight in at the deep end and I feel just totally exposed. I keep getting emails from a colleague who looks after our timesheet system snipping at me as I filled it in incorrectly and I just want to shout GIVE ME A BREAK, IVE JUST ARRIVED AND HAVENT EVEN BEGUN ADJUSTING AS I HAVENT HAD TIME TO BREAK WIND!!!

I presume its normal, people always tell me that its hard, wasnt sure how it would be hard for me as I was glad to see the back of the UK and my job....well this is my job and I do love it.....I just feel very raw I guess.

Is it normal? I know I havent made any friends yet, but I know its not loneliness as I am quite happy in my own company.....but I just feel....well odd.

hello! are you on your own or family with you?
We have been here 5 months nearly and we are still in the settling in period. People tell us it will take 2 years or more to feel at home
I know what you mean about feeling down. I have my good days and bad days.
I think what it is with some of us why we feel down is because our expectations are not met upon arrival of Perth. I thought i would be morgage free, big house etc....complete opposite infact, so that gets me down. Money problems- which we never had in UK

The simple small things get you down, it is hard work in Perth to get anywhere as it isn't called WA for nothing (wait awhile)

Obviously it is very early days for you and like many on here you will struggle at first, but eventually things will calm down.

Where in Perth are you staying?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:07 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Amanda
You don't sound like a maniac and I know exactly how you feel and what you're talking about. Pretty much everyone here will do too.

I think that leaving the UK is a big job, and even when you've arrived here, you're still leaving there! Things like sorting bank accounts or transferring money or filling in time sheets or whatever, keep you inextricably 'linked' to the UK or wherever people have come from.
There are huge expectations and hopes from everyone you know, you're meant to be keeping in touch, you need somewhere to stay and you have to tell everyone your new address, your parents worry, you get emails from people at 'home' wondering how you are and the pressure is on, to keep up and appear like a responsible adult, whilst only just recovering the jet lag, orientating yourself in an entirely new country and area, making friends, starting work, finding your way around the shops.... It's all HUGE!

My only advice to you is really think about why you came here... because I guess that part of that reason would have been to change your way of life a little... It seems hard to be able to focus on that in the first 6 weeks of being here, because it does zip by in a rush of organisation, but whilst this is all happening, time for yourself goes down the pan.
I think you need a break, so how about a walk on the beach or in the bush, a trip somewhere this weekend, a nice drink with whoever, a good dinner out, slow down the pace and remember to do something really good for yourself.
Medicare can wait, emails can wait, change of address can wait, phone calls can wait....
Just let it all go for the weekend and take some time to really just take stock of where you are and what you're doing. Take a look at this beautiful place and enjoy the smells, sights and sounds of where you are...

It will get better and before you know it, you'll be right at home.

x

Last edited by iPom; Sep 27th 2006 at 9:09 am.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys,

I am here on my own, which isn't so bad as I am rather happy in my own company but iPom you are so right, the finding some time to see the reason I came here, to walk along the beach, buy a bike so I can explore, visit Kings Park, go scuba diving on a whim instead of organising a two week holiday to do it.

I got a cute apartment straight opposite Harbour Town which is so handy, but being Harbour Town is the only thing I have seen so far....guess part of that is why I feel the grumps and hopefully the rest is just natural adaptation.

I guess a combination of being thrown in at the deep end at work where I have had such a hectic schedule, the pressure is high and then not actually being able to 'move in' to my new house and get settled, not able to get out and about....so this weekend, I am going to make my wekeend, to go to the beach, to go to the aquarium and zoo if I feel like.

I guess so far I have only seen the downs...trying to find decent fruit and veg (anyone have any clues where to get sugar snap peas that arent frozen?) trying to find somewhere to buy a pint of milk in an evening or weekend morning......all the downs of when you move, trying ot get anywhere, trying to buy things, trying to find a supermarket that isnt a million miles away.

I guess yes, we are sold the fairytale to get us here as professionals. I remember it was shorter days, very laid back attitudes and a much better quality of life, that if something cost 3 pound in the UK it would cost 3 dollars here.....all the myths....then here the food is more expensive than the UK, the houses are slightly cheaper but my salary is less than half converted......however, I dont want to go home and I want to be here, but I think I just havent had the time to see the good bits and enjoy myself.

Long weekend this weekend though.........so glad to hear that I havent gone mad, its not actually a state of mind I do (the grumps), so it is a little odd.

Thanks so much for replying.........I guess I needed to know it wasnt as I actually hate it here...as I knew in my heart I didnt
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:29 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on the other side to you Amanda, so I don't know Perth very well, but this side, fruit and veg tend to be got from fruit and veg places, rather than a supermarket...Service stations are good for emergency supplies, like milk, just like the UK... then some supermarkets are open until later too... Check them out on the internet first if you're not sure of your local store's opening times.
Maybe spend a day exploring a bit more further afield this weekend. Also, ask your neighbours where they shop for such stuff. If I'm stuck I always ask, and Aussies are such a nice lot, they'll soon help you out. Don't be shy.
I haven't found a great difference in the food prices between the UK and here, but then I don't buy a lot of processed foods, so I can't tell on those things. I don't think it's more expensive here, but then I have had time to find good suppliers and to really shop around for the best offers... You'll get into the swing real soon.

I hope you have a lovely weekend. Stick around and if you need help, there are loads of Westies on here.

Be kind to yourself... x
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iPom
I'm on the other side to you Amanda, so I don't know Perth very well, but this side, fruit and veg tend to be got from fruit and veg places, rather than a supermarket...Service stations are good for emergency supplies, like milk, just like the UK... then some supermarkets are open until later too... Check them out on the internet first if you're not sure of your local store's opening times.
Maybe spend a day exploring a bit more further afield this weekend. Also, ask your neighbours where they shop for such stuff. If I'm stuck I always ask, and Aussies are such a nice lot, they'll soon help you out. Don't be shy.
I haven't found a great difference in the food prices between the UK and here, but then I don't buy a lot of processed foods, so I can't tell on those things. I don't think it's more expensive here, but then I have had time to find good suppliers and to really shop around for the best offers... You'll get into the swing real soon.

I hope you have a lovely weekend. Stick around and if you need help, there are loads of Westies on here.

Be kind to yourself... x
Thanks iPom (about the best name ever I have to say). Its funny one of the girls here on reception had noticed I hadn't stopped since arriving from not only finding my apartment in a half hour break in my schedule, to moving in in a half hour break in my schedule....to rushing to the dentist for root canal (sore tooth last week....yuk), to letting a Brit girl who I flew over with crash in my spare room for 8 weeks whilst she is in Perth as she hated the hostel at Northbridge etc etc etc........I think I need a rest!!

The funny thing is, I have moved to a great little apartment with a swimming pool, jacuzzi, gym etc etc and I have used none of them....albeit nor has anyone else as the weather hasnt really been apt.

Have a fabulous weekend and thanks so much......I dont feel like Glenn Close anymore
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:41 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

its called immolag

(jetlag for immigrants)

Give it time, the first 3 months there is much too do, the next 3 months after you will feel more into a routine and start to enjoy your new life.

Plenty of BE members that side - hope they will start posting inviting you to a weekend meetup.

Best wishes

Kiwi
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thebears
its called immolag

(jetlag for immigrants)

Give it time, the first 3 months there is much too do, the next 3 months after you will feel more into a routine and start to enjoy your new life.

Plenty of BE members that side - hope they will start posting inviting you to a weekend meetup.

Best wishes

Kiwi
Oh that would be fab, hope I get invites too

A life would be a start
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:17 am
Oz here we are!!!

JoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really nice

Hi Amanda,

We only arrived in Oz a week ago so wanted to say hi, we flew in to Perth but are currently in Sydney sorting out a car we have brought here.

Sounds like you have had a mad time of it, I can't imagine landing here on the Fri and then starting work on the Monday, no wonder you head is in a whirl. Try and give yourself a bit of me time over the weekend to take stock, the whole emigration thing is scary enough without being expected to jump straight into a busy job and know exactly what you are doing.

We are not sure where we will settle but we love Perth and ideally will end up back there, will look you up when we do get back as we'll definitely be up for a few meet ups.

Cheers
Jo & Stu)
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:18 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the perthies should organise a 'night out' or something Of course, if you do....you have to have one in November when I arrive!

Amanda - try and take some time out....even an afternoon on the weekend, to explore! Opposite Harbour town sounds great
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:07 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

We def be up for a night out , me 42 and daughter 19,

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
Maybe the perthies should organise a 'night out' or something Of course, if you do....you have to have one in November when I arrive!

Amanda - try and take some time out....even an afternoon on the weekend, to explore! Opposite Harbour town sounds great
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JoandStuV
Hi Amanda,

We only arrived in Oz a week ago so wanted to say hi, we flew in to Perth but are currently in Sydney sorting out a car we have brought here.

Sounds like you have had a mad time of it, I can't imagine landing here on the Fri and then starting work on the Monday, no wonder you head is in a whirl. Try and give yourself a bit of me time over the weekend to take stock, the whole emigration thing is scary enough without being expected to jump straight into a busy job and know exactly what you are doing.

We are not sure where we will settle but we love Perth and ideally will end up back there, will look you up when we do get back as we'll definitely be up for a few meet ups.

Cheers
Jo & Stu)

Fabulous, that would be great.

I guess it doesnt help that I ended up with toothache last week and popped to the dentist who did root canal instantly (didnt expect that at all!!!, was expecting antibiotics and an x ray at best and an appointment in two or three years).....then yesterday, bitten by some nasty mozzie I think which is looking all yukky....so generally run down I think.

I am going to pamper myself this weekend, weather permitting a trip to the beach, to the aquarium and the zoo.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:58 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Hi Amanda,
What you're feeling is perfectly normal.
Where I work, contractors are constantly passing through, often being dumped in Perth for many months (or for good) with virtually no notice. Most also end up in West Perth/Subi apartments. They all seem to gradually meet other folks doing the same and to develop a social routine.
If you keep posting on BE you'll make plenty of friends and I'm sure will be invited along to a get together before too long.
You'll find getting out in the sunshine in view of the sea is the best therapy for any regrets about the move.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

dolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the rough

Oh that would be fab, hope I get invites too

A life would be a start
HI PM me aND WE CAN MEET UP DOLLYX
Old Sep 30th 2006, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

Have pm'd you with my number, would love to meet.
Nicola

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.